Girls on the Run 5k

GOTR5k 1024x512 Girls on the Run 5kSaturday was about as good as it gets. After 10 weeks, the 30 girls in my (and my three fellow coaches)  Girls on the Run team lined up for their big day and ran the 5k. What a positive experience the day was.

Our chapter here has just exploded with something like 2,500 people now participating in the 5k, making it the biggest 5k in our county. That’s a whole lot of girl power out there and it was so cool to watch the flood of aqua shirts moving along the course. Even better was running the race with my daughter and then standing at the finish line, watching the girls that I got to know finish with huge smiles on their faces. Now I know how teachers must feel when they watch their students reach milestones. It’s incredibly rewarding.

For me and my own running, the day was a victory as well. I really had no idea how my body would feel running 3.1 miles after so much time off, even if it was at 9-yr. old pace. I am beyond thrilled to say everything held up better than expected. Even in the 24 hours following the race, when injuries are wont to tell you they’re angry, all my susceptible spots remained happy. I can’t tell you had good that feels–finally all those hours and hours of PT work are paying off.

I’ll be checking in with my PT today and then seeing him on Wednesday. I need some guidelines in terms of what I should/shouldn’t be doing with my running right now. But I don’t really care how short or slow the runs are, as long as they are runs.

Saturday was one of those days when everything falls into place–the weather, the time with my daughter, the time with my GOTR team, and the sweet feeling of running again. I could have bottled it all up.

What was the highlight of your weekend?

Comments

I’m volunteering at my first ever GOTR 5k this weekend! I’ve been wanting to be a part of it for some time and finally everything lined up. I think I might even bring my daughter with me. She’d get a kick of seeing all the girls running. What better way to see GIRL POWER in motion? One of my duties is the activities beforehand…I guess I’ll be coloring hair? ;)
    Angela @ Happy Fit Mama recently posted..Marvelous is…My Profile

Love this!! We ran in a 5k this weekend that included a lot of kids (boys and girls) who had been training for it. The look of accomplishment and joy was amazing to see. I can only imagine it on a bigger scale. What a great program!!
    Susan recently posted..Viva 5k ~ A Family AffairMy Profile

Congratulations to your daughter and all the GOTR racers! That’s awesome to have such a huge chapter.
    And SO happy for you to have run the race and not feel anything bad during or after!! It really does sound like the PT and patience you’re giving it are paying off!!
    Highlight of my weekend was for sure our Saturday hike- lots of climbing but very rewarding views!
    Abby recently posted..So you wanna do a triathlon? Part 2 – Getting startedMy Profile

4. bob says

Awesome! The highlight of my weekend was going to the zoo with my daughter. I also ran 17.36 miles (my longest run in months), but the zoo trip was more fun.

• bob says

It’s there. Updated my computer, so the links in comments were wiped. Haven’t bothered to put the link back in here. The blog hasn’t exactly taken off, but I did get more interest talking about Correct Toes.

Awww, sounds perfect! My only involvement with GOTR was being the buddy runner to a friend’s daughter, and that was so much fun. I get that same feeling when one of my clients decides they want to start running and then completes their very first 5K!

The highlight of our weekend was attending the wedding of our very close college friends’ daughter. It was like a college reunion, only minus the maroon and orange clothes!
    Debbie @ Deb Runs recently posted..It’s Official, I’m Almost Official!My Profile

Congrats to the all the girls and your daughter. So glad you were able to enjoy the run, injury free.
    The weather was just perfect here as well. This weekend I stepped out of my comfort zone: 1. I ran on unfamiliar ground. Luckily it was “safe” ground with a lot of other runners and people around. *I kept thinking about that book in your last post “On the lips of Children”. 2. Next was a HUGE step outside my “zone” as I met up with a group and ran with them. Since I so rarely train with anyone but my dogs, it was sort of new.
    Joanne recently posted..Greenlakes Syracuse and Zucchini with Butternut SquashMy Profile

Running is so addicting, isn’t it. Funny when we “detox” against our will, we get a stronger effect from shorter stuff again. Just an observation!

As for the weekend, attending an event for a soon-to-be college runner I’ve worked with for a long time took top honor.
    Adrienne recently posted..Iron EmotionMy Profile

I’ve wanted to volunteer with GOTR for a while now but haven’t had a chance to do it mostly because my schedule is all over the place. But that is amazing that you had so many people running the 5K!!! Sounds like such a fabulous experience. Congrats to all the girls, especially you and your daughter!
    Christine @ Love, Life, Surf recently posted..Ask a Yogini: What is Pranayama?My Profile

Congrats on feeling good at a race for one of the best possible reasons. I hope all the girls enjoyed it. GOTR is such a great organization. Love that it is inspiring and empowering young girls to be active and develop a joy for running. Congrats on making a difference!
    Jesica @rUnladylike recently posted..Inconsistency and PerspectiveMy Profile