Ok, one week back to a bit of running and? I’m putting it on hold for a couple more weeks. Not by my doc’s orders, nor by my PT’s orders, but by my gut instinct’s orders. While it sucks, I’m pretty proud of myself for going the conservative route.
As I’ve been doing my run/walking, things have felt pretty decent. But after I’ve stopped, the origination point at the ITB, where I tore, is a little too stiff and “tugging” for my liking. I can push and prod around in there and not get any tenderness, but still. I’d rather feel really good about things than worry and potentially lead to further injury.
One of the biggest contributing factors to my decision is that I’ve been coaching Girls on the Run all season and our 5k is May 31. If I couldn’t run this with my daughter, I’d probably need a straightjacket. I figure by stepping back a bit, I’ll better ensure my ability to avoid that scenario. Everyone involved should be happy about that.
I probably didn’t help my cause by adding in a pretty tough boot camp class last week just prior to starting back to running. I didn’t originally think the two would coincide, thinking I’d be running later down the road, but they did. And I think that was too much load introduction at once (my PT agrees). Given that running is my bigger priority, I gave up the boot camp until I’m all put back together again perfectly. Hopefully when I try running again in a couple of weeks without that added stressor, things will feel fine.
In addition to the 5k, I’ve got runs I definitely don’t want to miss over the summer–vacation runs at the shore, and the most exciting of all, runs in the Alps while in Europe. I can’t jeopardize all that with another setback. That said, it’s been a long year of little running so far and I really, really need to put it behind me.
The roller coaster ride continues. I’m guessing you’re as sick of hearing about it as I am talking/thinking about it. Bike rides and swims for the win this weekend! (that’s false enthusiasm in case you were wondering).