Why I think Lupita rocks

450px Lupita Nyong%27o%2C by Gordon Correll Why I think Lupita rocks

Photo by Gordon Correll

I’m not a big fashion follower, nor do I keep tabs on the awards shows. But I do like to watch the Oscar red carpet if I happen upon it, and this year I did. Like everyone, I found actress Lupita Nyong’O to be pretty much flawless. Yes, I loved her gorgeous dress, but I think Lupita stands out for other reasons, too.

First, did you notice what she is lacking? Fake boobs. What a breath of fresh air that is. I didn’t think anyone in Hollywood did that anymore.

Second, she had a fit but not an emaciated body. I’m sorry but some of the stars clearly lead some pretty unhealthy “fitness/diet” routines these days. Far too many women walking that red carpet truly do need to eat a cheeseburger, to borrow the overused phrase. They do not represent a body type I would ever want my daughter to aspire to have. Lupita, on the other hand, looked fit, healthy and radiant.

Third, she rocks the very short hair. It’s great to see a star brave enough to go against the long-haired stereotypical hallmark of beauty.

And then there’s this. This fantastic speech. I think I have a girl crush.

I come at all of this from the perspective of a mom raising a daughter, a daughter who I very much want to strive for health and achievement over Barbie doll good looks. The time and place where I grew up idolized girls who were pretty but never encouraged achievement. It never really sat well with me–I knew I wanted more. It wasn’t until adulthood that I truly found ways to dig in and achieve both athletically and in my career.

I want a different world for my daughter. Rarely would I hold up a Hollywood star as an example to her, but in the case of Lupita, I think that she represents a healthy, intelligent and noteworthy exception to a standard. She goes against the grain and any woman who can accomplish that is worthy of our admiration.

What do you think of Lupita? How about the general Hollywood standard of beauty?

• No Related Posts

Comments

You are so right! She is a wonderful role model, and I think we need more of those in our world. That is actually what I wrote about in my post today. I think you will enjoy reading it. You are another role model who I am sure your kids look up to, and I look to you for a lot of advice too :) So thank YOU for being an inspiration! :)
    Tina Muir recently posted..International Women’s DayMy Profile

I’m so glad she won–a fresh face and a great role model at that! As a pediatric nurse practitioner, I see so many girls who think that skinny is where it’s at. I wonder if we will ever be able to change that perception.
    Wendy@Taking the Long Way Home recently posted..Happy FeetMy Profile

I didn’t watch the awards and haven’t yet listened to her speech; I’ll have to do that after I write this!
    But, I did see some photos of women on the red carpet and thought to myself more than once about the standard they set for girls and women of all ages with their bones clearly showing.
    (Have you read Portia de Rossi’s book, Unbearable Lightness?)
    I can’t imagine being a mom to girls nowadays.
    Abby recently posted..Keeping fit on our California adventureMy Profile

I’ve recently become obsessed with Lupita. She seems so genuine and in it for the art, not the fame or the magazine covers or any of that noise. I absolutely love movies (and live in LA) and I really appreciate the actors who understand that what they are doing is a job and take the time to accept the responsibility of searching for meaningful characters and projects.
    Ashley @ Brocblog recently posted..Lärabar Uber BarsMy Profile

I love this woman. I haven’t seen her movie yet, but I saw her on one of the late night shows and thought she was utterly charming and gorgeous. I love her smile. She made the funniest joke about her dad not knowing who Brad Pitt was too. Definitely a girl crush.
    Judith recently posted..First Run BackMy Profile

Absolutely agree. I totally have a girl crush – at first because of her impeccable style but just watching her and her grace and especially her speech – amazing. I haven’t even seen the movie!
    Christine @ Love, Life, Surf recently posted..9 DaysMy Profile

I totally agree. I cringe at many of the too skinny bodies I see on the red carpet. Very sad and unhealthy. Lupita is beautiful and healthy and smart! That’s what I want my boys to look for in their future girlfriends/wives:)
    Rachelle Q recently posted..Apera Bag ReviewMy Profile