I missed #snowpocalypse2014

IMG 3988 1024x1024 I missed #snowpocalypse2014

A picture from my neighbor’s front porch vs. a picture of where we were. No contest.

Four years ago I got to miss Snowageddon and this year, I missed #snowpocalypse2014. And I am happy about that. The Zippy family spent the past several days in Southern California–La Jolla to be exact. I don’t think we could have picked a better time to get the heck out of Maryland, either.

Like many of you, I am just over this winter. I don’t even like it at the beginning of the season, much less when a huge Nor’easter sets its sights on Maryland in mid-February. So I was definitely doing a little dance when I discovered I’d get to miss this one.

Instead of shoveling snow, we immersed ourselves in 75-degree, beautifully sunny California coastline days. We hiked, we kayaked, we spent lots of time combing the shore for seals and sea lions, and we just enjoyed being away from the day-in, day-out of winter.

Now the hard part: returning to winter. Every time I get away in the winter, I question my sanity for living somewhere that delivers it. I love Maryland and I love raising my kids here, but I am just not cut out for the cold/snow. It wears me down. Warm weather is an automatic mood booster for me. In the summer, you’ll never hear me complain about the heat and I get sad every single fall when it starts to cool. Retirement will definitely feature a more temperate climate, probably on the West Coast. I’ll never be one to wish the years away, but it will be nice when I can count down how many more winters I have to face.

The warm weather and beautiful scenery definitely made running outside tempting, too. I’ll update you on that Wednesday.

How did you weather the storm last week if you’re on the East Coast? Anyone else lucky enough to get away for the long weekend?

Comments

I weathered the storm okay – on Wednesday here in NC is when it all started, and it was just awful!! I was trapped inside Wednesday, which was supposed to be a rest day, and I almost spent the whole day inside until my fiance came and rescued me and we went for a run in my rain boots – I was going crazy! But managed to get all my mileage in!
    Cheri @ Overactive Blogger recently posted..Lake Street Dive! And Valentine’s Day recap!My Profile

I am very jealous. I wish that we were going someplace warm this week for the boys’ vacation but no. I’m so over winter but I’m glad that you got a way. I was just saying to my husband that I think we need to move to a warmer climate.
    Christine @ Love, Life, Surf recently posted..Click. Snap.My Profile

I love California! I have been out there since 2008. With family out there I should go more often. In Buffalo, we missed this storm all together. I totally agree with you about the cold. I find my self surfing The Weather Channel looking at warmer places just to mentally get myself out of here. I told my husband that I want to be a Snow Bird after we retire. No more winters!
    Kristina Walters @ Kris On Fitness recently posted..A Real Resolution (Guest Post)My Profile

That view is to die for! I can’t say I love huge snowstorms but I do enjoy the change of seasons, even if that means tons and tons of snow for weeks on end. It’s disrupting and I have to log many miles on a treadmill but, there’s something MORE beautiful about spring and summer when you’ve gone through winter. Now, talk to me in April and if it’s still like this, I’ll be taking a warm vacation somewhere! :-)
    Allie recently posted..The Rundown: Payoff WeekMy Profile

5. Stephanie says

I’m with you. I live in Virginia and I can’t wait for spring. This weather depresses me! Hopefully we are past the snowy weather! Hang n there.

Excellent timing! For once we got to sit back and watch the east coast get hammered rather than be the object of mom nature’s wrath. I am a winter fan and a heat weenie so no complaints about the polar vortex here. As long as I have my mill. I’m good to go.
    Marcia recently posted..#MNBChallenge: Nourish RecapMy Profile

I am so jealous of you right now, that sounds wonderful. BUT, the only good thing that comes of this, is how much more you appreciate the warm and the summer after you have been through Winters like we have here on the East Coast. I always run better after crappy weather as I feel like it toughens me up, so come race day, if there is great conditions I can perform better as I know I have been through worse!

You get this anyway from your injury, that toughend you up too :)

I managed to get all 75 miles this week, with only 8 on the treadmill, so I was very happy with that! Feeling good so far :)
    Tina Muir recently posted..Meatless Monday: Mushroom PastaMy Profile

We are supposed to get another 4-8 inches today.

Like you I am so over this winter. I have to keep reminding myself that this winter is exceptional. We’ve been lucky to have had some pretty mild winters the last few years. But yes, I’m ready to be done.

I’ve got a half marathon in March in sunny Florida. I think that is what is keeping me going!
    Wendy@Taking the Long Way Home recently posted..To Garmin or not to Garmin…that is my questionMy Profile

I’m so happy that you were able to miss out on the latest snow storm!!!
    I’m with you – I don’t like winter from beginning to end but bring the heat – no complaining about heat or humidity from me!!!
    Kim recently posted..Racing – Then and NowMy Profile

How in the world did we miss one another?!? I was literally down there this weekend as well (Fri-Sat). Small world :) Glad you enjoyed the warm weather and sunshine!

I live in Flagstaff (we get mad winter storms (with sun) but have had really mild weather this winter) but used to live in Michigan. My mood made a 180-degree turn to the better after we moved. We didn’t move her b/c of the weather, but I’m glad we did. When I go home to MI for Christmas it’s all I can do to make it through the week!

Glad you had some good CA time!!
    Stephanie@nowirun.com recently posted..It’s like Walking Tacos and Sweet Girl is a fighter!My Profile

I am super jealous. I was actually supposed to leave for Cozumel last Saturday, but unfortunately my vacation plans were canceled at the last minute.

This Winter has just been terrible. I am so ready for it to be over. It is supposed to be 60 here today – but then possible snow Thurs. Sigh….I’m ready for summer!
    Michael recently posted..A “Maybe Crazy” ExperimentMy Profile

Lucky you! No long weekend away for us anywhere warm. My fiance did go to Florida for a few days earlier this month but I was unable to go with him (work!). I am definitely ready for some warmer weather, I don’t even care if it’s 70, heck I’d sell my soul for consistently over 30 right now!
    Laura @losingrace recently posted..Boston Training: On the Up-swingMy Profile

I feel the same way about summer. It just sucks the life out of me and as soon as it starts to warm up in spring I start to feel anxious about the hot weeks ahead. I can’t wait for it to cool down just a little.
    Char recently posted..Watch-Free and Carefree.My Profile