My current state of running

IMG 3971 225x300 My current state of running

It’s hard not to be tempted by this

Let’s see…when we last left off I was running around three miles on the AlterG, I believe, with a plan for half mile progressions until I was ready for the road. So let me bring you up to speed on where I am today.

When we took off for California, I had just run my first four miler on the AlterG. Being a runner, I of course wanted to enjoy the beautiful weather and scenery with a run outdoors while there, but I also wanted to be good. So my plan was this: run four miles on a local AlterG the day I arrived in California, followed by another AlterG run of 4.5 miles two days later. I couldn’t find any AlterG facilities nearby that were open on weekends, so I would perhaps venture outside for a run the Sunday before we left if all was feeling good.

The best laid plans…our flights were delayed getting into San Diego, so by the time I got there, I was pushing things to make my AlterG appointment. And then I got caught in SoCal traffic (you sunny Californians know of what I speak). I had the last appt. of the day, so being late wasn’t an option. I called to cancel, turned around and went back to our condo.

Being a runner, I was of course frustrated, and then decided it was time to take the legs outside for a three-miler. The hamstring held up beautifully. In fact, I think I can say I’m out of the woods there. What didn’t hold up so beautifully is my old nemesis the Achilles at the insertion point. It was pretty achy the whole time and fired up the next day as well.

Being a runner, this bummed me out. I know I jumped the gun by going to the road before I had completed my full AlterG stint, but I just had to try in that spectacular environment.

From that run, I went back to the AlterG on Friday for another four-miler, and still had a bit of Achilles tenderness. On Sunday I did a five mile walk, but ran the final mile and a half to test things out. Much better. Yesterday I did four and a half on the AlterG and it still seems to be holding up pretty well. I go to see my PT this morning (head hanging in shame of course) and we’ll see where to go from there. If my medicine is waiting a bit longer, or taking more time off, it’s going to be a bitter medicine. Fingers crossed it won’t be the case.

Being a runner, I am more than ready to get this show on the road for real, now. My patience has served me well all this time, but I will admit, it’s wearing a bit thin.

Being a runner, would you have behaved better in my shoes? (probably I’m guessing!)

Comments

I would’ve done the exact same thing! How can you pass up the opportunity to run in the sunshine without 1000 layers? Runners dream! My current state of running is in limbo in seems. With being sick, I didn’t do anything for 12 days . Yesterday was my first run and it wasn’t pretty. Injury wise good. Breathing and endurance, not so much!
    Angela @ Happy Fit Mama recently posted..Athlete’s Fuel – Sunshine BurgersMy Profile

I would not have behaved any differently..it is SO HARD to be sidelined by injury. So frustrating that your hammy is better and now your achilles is talking to you!

A few years ago, I had a stress fracture in my foot, and I was biking to maintain fitness (and my sanity). When I was able to return to running, I found a bullseye rash on my abdomen…yes, I had Lyme Disease. Even tho it was caught early and treated, the fatigue lingered on. I spent most of 2012 sidelined from running. Sucked.

All I can offer is my sympathy and healing vibes coming your way…
    Wendy@Taking the Long Way Home recently posted..To Garmin or not to Garmin…that is my questionMy Profile

Absolutely not! I would have made the exact same mistake as you! In fact I have done a similar thing many times….and even though I ended up regretting it, I would still probably make it again. The temptation is just too great, especially when you have only a few precious miles to enjoy. I had that in my marathon buildup where I ignored the gut feeling and did it anyway….only to end up crying walking along the road. As people say, runners are crazy. Do not beat yourself up about it! You would have thought I would know better with my elite level, but we are just as bad!

Hang in there friend, it all happens for a reason :)
    Tina Muir recently posted..Sweet Potato Stir FryMy Profile

Yeah I probably would’ve done the same thing too. I’m kind of surprised your achilles got aggravated so quickly. Sigh. You’ve been a star with all of this. I hope this doesn’t set you back at all.
    Marcia recently posted..February RunfessionsMy Profile

So yesterday, being an idiot, I went for a 5.5 mile run in a pair of huaraches. I knew the post in the web of my big toe would probably irritate me if I went that far, but being an idiot, I did it anyway. Sure enough, halfway through the run, the post on my left foot had rubbed a big patch of skin away. Being an idiot, I took off my huaraches and ran barefoot on hot Miami pavement, even though I haven’t been barefoot in months. After 1.5 miles of this, another little hot spot developed on the bottom of one toe. Being an idiot, I put the huaraches back on and kept running. About half a mile later, I caught up with another runner who decided he didn’t want me to pass him. Being an idiot, I decided to race him the remainder of the run, even though I knew those hot spots would get worse. They did get worse, but being an idiot, I’m definitely going running again today in a different pair of minimalist shoes.
    bob recently posted..Work on balance to avoid injuriesMy Profile

True confession: I’m dealing with a similar issue (not as great and a different part of the hamstring, but same idea no less. My first long run out (in the beach in SoCal no less…) my ankle/achilles insertion was really tight as well- WEIRD. I’m wondering if all the “up high” work has something to do with triggering some tightness and “pressure” down low. Maybe it’s a coincidence, but I find it to be a very interesting one no less….

• MissZippy says

It is interesting, Sheila. My achilles hurt first, but I think it was compensating for that that probably led to the hammy issue. I have been doing eccentric exercises for both, which you might want to check out.

Oh yes, been there! Weighing all options. Taking chances. You’ll find a way to ease back in. Just might take longer. Vent here! We know and can relate

8. Susan SRMS says

Nope. No way, no how. I wouldn’t risk going two steps backward and taking longer to heal. Just not worth it in the “long run”.

I think you’ve been so patient. I don’t have the running experience you do but in the years I have been running, severe injuries haven’t been a factor *knocking on wood like crazy after typing that.
    I don’t think I would have had the procedure done that you did. I would have most likely stayed away from doctors, googled the pain, taken time off, done strengthening exercises and hoped for the best.
    Joanne recently posted..Stand Up And Work: VariDeskMy Profile

I think it is very important details for me personally. That i’m fulfilled reading through ones article. However desire to declaration in few common issues, The internet site tastes is good, a articles is due to point of actuality great : D. Exceptional job, cheers

Trackbacks