MAF all the way to the bank

IMG 4031 225x300 MAF all the way to the bank

The end of yesterday’s run

I’ve now had two successful outdoor runs–one on Sunday for four miles and one yesterday for five. Both felt really good and I’m excited. Now the trick is to keep myself in check with the mileage, but trust me, I will! Time away from running is too hard to blow it all by doing something stupid.

Speaking of not being stupid, my plan from here is to get back into MAF training. It’s not only key for base building, but it’s also the perfect way to return from an injury. I strapped on the heart rate monitor yesterday and went right back to my aerobic range. I kind of dreaded looking at the paces but of course I had to peek. I was actually pleasantly surprised. Even though I’ve lost fitness, I was able to run a better pace than I would have predicted at MAF right now. I’m guessing the big difference is that it’s much colder right now than it was last time I trained at MAF, back in late September.

How long will I stick to MAF this time? Patience willing, I’m going all the way this time. That means sticking with this heart rate range until I get two months in a row with no improvement. That could be six months, it could be a year, who knows? I regret not seeing it through all the way last time, so here’s take two.

That being the case, I don’t have any races on the horizon at this stage. I would like to do some late summer/early fall, but I’m going to refrain from signing up until this base is laid and I can then get back to some speed work. I think it will pay off on many levels.

So that’s the plan–slow and steady as she goes.

If you’d like more details on MAF training, I’ve got a collection of posts over here on my right sidebar.

Comments

I love the idea of MAF training coming off an injury, as a second encouragement to keep things slow and easy. Will be interesting to see what happens as the weather warms AND your fitness increases, two things working toward opposite effects on your heartrate. As usual, will enjoy following you on this journey.

And I’m bookmarking this point, to remind you with, next time you threaten to bail early on MAF. ;-)
    Coach Holly @ Run With Holly recently posted..Stretch of the Week: C-Curves (Sides #1/Back #1)My Profile

Worked too hard to have it blow up and do something stupid – my thoughts exactly right now with my current state of running. I’ve been thinking a lot of MAF training. Now would be a good time to do it….rereading all your other posts now!

I wish I had your patience, wisdom and outlook on running. Too often after a break (regardless of how short/long), I sign up for races as a way to get back to where I was – which may or may not be feasible and then I rush training. I would love to have 6 months with no “big” races on the calendar and focus on mileage and easy running to build my base.
    Michele @ NYC Running Mama recently posted..23 miler + Small VictoriesMy Profile

• MissZippy says

Michele–at your age I wouldn’t have done this either! But age and injuries have convinced me that it’s the way to go for me right now.

I think that is a great idea Amanda! One of my best friends (a 15:27 5k runner) uses this for her training and it keeps her on track so she does not overtrain. I also know Villanova University uses it, and they are one of the best running colleges in the country. I think it will definitely prevent you from overdoing it! I am pretty good at keeping myself under control on my runs….except my long runs (6:17 average pace yesterday may have been a little tooooo quick for this point in my training).

I am so excited for you! Things are going to get even better :)
    Tina Muir recently posted..Rise Bars Giveaway Product ReviewMy Profile

I admire your patience! I think that MAF training is a great plan for coming back from an injury–I tend to run by feel and I push it when I feel good, risking re-injury.

That year I had my stress fracture and Lyme disease–I didn’t do any races. It was tough, but I’m so glad I took it easy.
    Wendy@Taking the Long Way Home recently posted..Polar vortex? Black hole?My Profile

So glad to read you are going to do this….I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised at the results when you do decide to race again! So glad you are back from injury. Happy running.
    Robin recently posted..9 Weeks TodayMy Profile

• MissZippy says

Hi Kim–thanks for asking. He is better, but still has four more weeks before he can do any running activities. PT starts next week and then he’ll be counting down the days until he can return to soccer!

I love that you have recommitted to MAF! Such a wonderful way to come back from injury!

I am seeing explosive growth (MAF through a pregnacy/emergency C section recovery) after a year of MAF training. I don’t have the core strength recovery/endurance/time to clock the miles I want…but staying in my target range has brought my pace down tremendously. I am so excited for Spring & despite basically not racing in 2013, I expect late summer/fall to be my best season yet!
    Teresa C. recently posted..Bountiful ThanksMy Profile