First, let may say that my I tip my hat to anyone who has been on crutches for any length of time. My two measly days were more than enough, thank you very much!
As I hobbled around on the crutches last week, I was thinking about the lengths I will go to in order to keep running. Over 16 years of running and a few injuries, I’ve gone through quite a bit, all in the name of running. The list looks something like this:
- Hundreds of massages
- Dozens of acupuncture appointments
- Graston, ART, and dry needling treatments
- Physical therapy
- Orthotics (worst move ever)
- Ultrasound treatments
- A cortisone shot
- Two trips to an out-of-state holistic doctor
- PRP injections
- A concerted effort at form change (successful)
- A complete change in shoe type
And that’s not getting into all the day-to-day things we all do to run our healthiest/best, like strength training, yoga, lots of reading, researching and consulting with coaches. Lots of time, lots of money. Like the commercial says, though: being able to run–priceless.
What have you done to stay healthy/get healthy over the years in order to run?