(Holiday) Friday Five

cookieexchange 1024x512 (Holiday) Friday FiveA few holiday notes to share:

1. I’ve scheduled my PRP injection for New Year’s Eve day–happy new year to me! It will entail two days on crutches and major downtime so that the platelets have a chance to hang around the injury site as much as possible. You can tell how much a priority I place on New Year’s Eve, huh?

2. I hosted my running friends here the other night for our traditional run through neighborhood holiday lights followed by a cookie exchange. Well, they ran, I waited, THEN we did the cookies, wine, and other goodies. What is it about homemade cookies that makes them so damn addicting? I do fine keeping sugar at bay for about 11.5 months out of the year, but the last two weeks of the year when home-baked cookies are in front of me, I get a bit off the hook. Lucky for me, I’ll be taking a portion of them to my daughter’s school today and bagging them up for the teachers. Back on the wagon!

3. Speaking of the holidays–it’s supposed to be in the upper 60s here this weekend. Not very holidayish is it? But guess what that means for me? A chance to get outside on my bike, which will put a smile on my face since I’m not running right now.

4. Word on the street is that my nine-yr. old no longer believes in Santa. She hasn’t shared this with me, so I’m guessing she’s teetering on not believing and wanting to believe, so I’m going to leave well enough alone for now. It’s such a second-child thing, though: pretty sure my son didn’t give up on Santa until fifth grade.

5.  And as we head into the New Year, I have to say WOW did a lot of you link up for my #yearofrunning13 review. I haven’t gotten to them all yet, but I am getting close. Thanks to all of you who have played along. PavementRunner is doing a photo compilation post on runners’ favorite pictures from the year, so if you’ve got one, send it his way.

Finally–if you entered my Topo Athletic shoe giveaway, Rafflecopter picked Angela from Happy Fit Mama as the winner–congrats!

Cookies–can you control yourself around them? Parents–when did your kids give up on Santa if that’s their holiday? Who’s had a PRP injection?

Comments

We were so thrilled to have our boys (now sophomore and junior in high school) actually enthusiastic about holiday baking! We even did the gingerbread train we hadn’t done in years (it was ‘too kiddie’ for a while) We love baking – and personally I have no problem with control, and everyone else seems to be doing pretty well!
    Michael Anderson recently posted..‘Pre-Hab’ to Prevent Injuries!My Profile

Good luck with your injection! I hope it does the trick…and you don’t lose your mind in the process.
    My holiday run with my friends is AFTER Christmas this year but at least it gives us something to look forward too.
    My boys are only 4 so I hope to have many years of believing left!! This is the good stuff for sure.
    SO happy for Angela!! They couldn’t go to a better mother runner :-)
    Allie recently posted..What I Don’t Want for ChristmasMy Profile

I know- the cookies this time of year are extra delicious and dangerous! But then January comes and everything settles back down to normal. I was wondering how long kids hold onto Santa- L’s been asking some tough questions about getting down chimneys and from roof to roof and how reindeer fly and I almost felt like she was ready to give up. :-)
    Laura @ Mommy Run Fast recently posted..A Day in the LifeMy Profile

I’m dreading the day that my kids stop believing in Santa. I just love the magic that twinkles in their eyes now. And Christmas cookies – yum! We are doing our big Christmas cookie decorating and exchange this weekend. Trying to brace myself for that. good luck with the PRP and Happy Holidays!
    Christine @ Love, Life, Surf recently posted..Friday Round-Up: #wycwycMy Profile

Cookies are my guilty pleasure. Put one in front of me and I will eat it (unless it has caramel in it)! Good thing the holidays are almost over, I’m not sure I’ll be able to fit in my jeans soon! :-p

I can control myself b/c I just stop and think about the ingredients. Though, I won’t lie, cookies are my one sweet weakness. I don’t care about cakes, pies, chocolate. I have the hardest time keeping away from PB cookies. I’m not a big NYE person either. I’m usually asleep long before midnight! And it’s 73 here today. We had ice on the ground a week and a half ago????
    Heather (Where’s the Beach) recently posted..My Year of RunningMy Profile

My husband came home with a tin of homemade buckeyes, Oreo balls, and other dangerous treats last night. It’s taking every ounce of willpower not to ransack the fridge right now. And my MIL makes the best homemade butter cookies topped with cavity-inducing icing every year. Impossible to resist!

Yes, the warm weather is kinda Bah Humbug, but I’m glad you can get out and ride!

Cookies are my kryptonite. Seriously no control. I bagged up a whole bunch and sent the kids to school with them for the teachers today. And I didn’t bake as much as I usually do. What a fun runner’s party and what a good sport you are to have it when you’re not running. All the best with the injection. Praying it works like a charm!
    Marcia recently posted..Card Snark and a Day In the LifeMy Profile

Forget sweets and cookies during the holidays. I have a severe sweet tooth and it is hard enough for me to get away from them during the year let alone the “sweetest” time of the year. I am so sad your little one is teetering on not believing in Santa. I swear I believed until I was in middle school. I do still have that belief in a way as an adult too. I hope my kids don’t loose it for a very long time. Don’t let your crutches be a crutch this holiday season. Just use it to your advantage – have your kids bring you holiday treats on the couch. :)
    Lacy @ Running Limitless recently posted..5 For Friday {My top 5 finds from the week}My Profile

I love your “run through the neighborhood holiday lights’ idea! I might have to borrow that next year for the Cruisers! :-)

My youngest son broke the news to his older brother about Santa. I can still picture the adorable, tiny little kindergarten girl that told the whole class that Santa was really their parents; and then my youngest son came home bursting through the door yelling, “Mom, Katie just told us…” HaHaHa!!!
    Debbie @ Deb Runs recently posted..Oh, The Hustle And Bustle Of ChristmasMy Profile

Yes… your link-up was a huge success! Awesome…
    Sorry about your injection, but hopefully it is helpful in the long run :/
    During the holidays I do ok during almost everything except the actual MEALS. I am ok to snack on just veggies and some salsa or hummus. Dessert is something I can avoid by just leaving the room. Meals are tougher for me, but I try to fill my plate with as many veggies and a salad as I can before diving in for the rest of the good stuff (like bread: rolls! rolls! rolls!).
    Stephanie@nowirun.com recently posted..Thursday – Saturday: Photo Edition (if nothing else – check out my dancing son!)My Profile