Friday five

IMG 3472 225x300 Friday five

Gratuitous shot of one of my favorite local spots for running. Love the fall colors

Lots going on in the running world this week, so I’m going to touch on a few points this Friday:

• It’s Marine Corps Marathon weekend, the “people’s marathon.” I’ve got client Kat from Sneakers ‘n Fingerpaints toeing the line for the first time and I couldn’t be more excited for her. I got to meet her and her husband yesterday, which was a real treat. Who else is running this classic on Sunday?
  • Have you heard about the six-year old who ran a half marathon last weekend? I have to admit, that kind of made me cringe. I guess coming from my mama perspective, I just wouldn’t want to see one of my kids at that age (or their current ages!) run a half marathon. What are your thoughts on it?
  • Speaking of fall marathons, it’s three weeks out now for a couple of big East Coast marathons, namely Richmond and Philadelphia. Lots of 20s and 22s to be run this weekend, including my own. I am ready to be done with it, I’ll admit!
  • Did you see/read that Ryan Hall had to pull the plug on the NYC marathon? I can’t help but feel for the guy, no matter if/what mistakes he is making in his training/coaching. So much potential…
  • I stumbled across the article on anemia in runners this week and found it different than anything else I’d ever come across. As someone with perpetually low iron stores no matter what I do, this information was really interesting. Other anemia sufferers might want to take a look.

That’s what I’ve got on this Friday. What’s going on in your running world?

Comments

I, too, cringed at the 6 year old running the half. But then I did even more so when I read the article and found out a 5 year old did it earlier in the year. I’m all for kids being active but I’m not sure they are ready for an endurance event like that even if it is a run/walk.

I’m so excited for Kat! She’s going to do great.
    Angela @ Happy Fit Mama recently posted..I Think I’m An AddictMy Profile

I read about that six year old, I agree, it’s a little young. However, even though my son really didn’t start running until Middle School, I remember a time when he was almost three and he wanted to run on the track during my other son’s soccer game. He blew out three quarters of a mile without blinking an eye. Some kids are born to run.
    Kristina Walters @ Kris On Fitness recently posted..The Hills… Indoor Edition & Energy Bits GiveawayMy Profile

Yay for Kat! I love that race.
    I think kids have their whole lives to run distances like that. No need to do it so young. I saw an 11-yo who ran a full as well. No bueno.
    I too feel for RH. Sigh.
    I’m racing in costume this weekend….or not…
    Marcia recently posted..Bling Runners WantMy Profile

Since I would love either of my boys (15.5 and 17) to run a race of ANY distance with me … I thought it was intriguing – until I read about it.

She is a 6-year old who was running a race to raise money for an anti-abortion group. OK, let me correct that – HER PARENTS were USING her as a TOOL for their religious/political beliefs. At 6 she is barely beyond a toddler, has no real concept of pregnancy, adoption or abortion … this is NOT her choice.

It is sick and twisted … regardless of your views, using your children in a way that is questionable to their health is bad judgment at best, abusive at worst.
    Michael Anderson recently posted..‘How Music Works’ is a Fascinating Look at Music TheoryMy Profile

6 is too young to run a half in my opinion. Too bad about Ryan Hall. I just read an article 2 days ago about him running it and it being his comeback. I will have to check out that anemia article. My iron levels are always quite low but never to the point of anemic (knock on wood).
    Rachelle Q recently posted..Fitness FridayMy Profile

That story about the six-year-old girl running the marathon made me cringe too! Sometimes I wonder if my daughter running the mile (as in 1!) is too much. I just think that’s too much on such a young, developing body. I did my last 20-miler this morning. YAY! I’m so glad to be done. I’m rocking the compression socks now and looking forward to putting my feet up and starting to taper this weekend. I cannot believe Richmond is only three weeks away. Can’t wait to meet you!
    Nicole @ Work in Sweats Mama recently posted..20 Reasons to Be ThankfulMy Profile

I’m happy that everything worked out with the marathon this weekend so that all those who trained will be able to run.
    Interesting tid-bit about the 6 year old – she lives in the town where I went to high school (and my twin brother still lives).
    Kim recently posted..Proud MamaMy Profile

I had not heard about Ryan Hall and I’m really so sad for him! I JUST read the article on him in Runner’s World and was really pulling for him. That has to be so awful. Ugh! Lots of great action in running coming up for us non-elites though. Good luck to everyone digging in leading up to the final days/weeks!
    I agree with you about the 6 year-old. Too much, too soon. What’s the rush?
    Allie recently posted..Airline HellMy Profile

I am all for running. For anyone, anytime. However, I know how I was as a kid, how my friends were, just how kids are. Some are determined and have discipline, but only to an extent. I generally find it hard to believe that a kid that young is begging to run for nearly 3 hours. But, I guess…. if she is safe, well hydrated, fed, who are we to judge?
    Crystal@TheFastFitRunner recently posted..The Houston Half Marathon – A Pace PlanMy Profile

Thanks for posting the anemia/iron deficiency article. I did a ton of research on it (it is certainly complicated) this fall as I was experiencing low levels of iron. I am interested in why this article is different from others that you have read? I found it informative and it did a good job of simplifying the complicated nature of iron deficiency, but not all that new.
    Amy recently posted..Exploring South Park, Pittsburgh, PAMy Profile

I saw press about the 6 year old running a 1/2 and my gut reaction was, “NO BUENO” that is simply too young. I have a six year old and I can’t imagine. It’s put too much stress on their developing bodies, which can have all kinds of repercussions later on. Just my opinion, but running a half marathon with my 6 year old is something you will never hear me say or promote.
    LisaM@RunWiki recently posted..Being Resilient…We slip up and then we stand upMy Profile

My wife and i ended up being now joyful that Emmanuel managed to finish off his investigations through the entire ideas he was given using your blog.
    It’s not at all simplistic just to find yourself giving freely guides that a number of
    people might have been trying to sell. Therefore we
    figure out we now have the website owner to give thanks
    to because of that. These illustrations you have made, the simple blog menu, the relationships your site help foster – it’s got many overwhelming,
    and it’s aiding our son and our family do think that article is fun,
    and that’s tremendously essential. Thank you for the whole thing!
    Izabelle Schinasi recently posted..Izabelle SchinasiMy Profile

There are definitely lots of particulars like that to
    take into consideration. That may be a nice level to carry up.
    I offer the thoughts above as basic inspiration but clearly there are questions just like
    the one you carry up the place an important factor will likely be working in sincere good faith.
    I don?t know if greatest practices have emerged round things like that, but I’m sure
    that your job is clearly recognized as a fair game.
    Both girls and boys really feel the impression of just a second
    Alyssa Ware recently posted..Alyssa WareMy Profile

I have mastered some essential things through your website
    post. One other thing I would like to convey is that
    there are several games available on the market designed mainly for preschool age youngsters.
    They contain pattern recognition, colors, dogs, and models.

These normally focus on familiarization as an alternative to memorization.
    This will keep little children occupied without sensing like they are learning.
    Thanks