A new running coach?

IMG 3203 225x300 A new running coach? Well, I’ve pulled the trigger–after a ridiculously large amount of debate (you’d have thought I was buying a new house or something) I have decided to go ahead and do some marathon specific work for Richmond. I talked things over with running coach Jeff Gaudette, who I used last marathon training cycle, and he convinced me that it was the right way to go. He thinks that my fat-burning pathways have been opened thanks to my MAF training, and will remain that way, even with the marathon training. So it’s done, and I’ve even done six miles of pace training already. I didn’t die, so that’s a bonus!

I really enjoy working with Jeff, so I am excited for what the next nine weeks or so will bring. Still, I did debate whether or not he was my right coaching choice, because you see, I’ve got Tori now. And she’s pretty ridiculously fast. I think just trying to keep up with her and I’d get where I wanted to be.  ;  )

What do you think?

Comments

I think 9 weeks is more then enough time for marathon training, and I hope you coach takes a couple of weeks to build you into ‘proper’ training again…

I would also like to see you do another MAF test after 3-4 weeks of marathon training just to see how it goes!
    Coach Dion recently posted..FEELING OLD (TIRED)My Profile

2. Wendy says

I started working with a trainer this summer. I turned a certain age last year and after many years of running, have started suffering from lots of foot problems. My trainer is a corrective exercise specialist. I have admit, it felt a little indulgent, working a trainer. But I have noticed a big difference in my legs and feet. We’ll see how it translates to my half marathon next week, as I attempt to regain my lost youth!

3. Debbie @ Deb Runs says

Tori is a speedster, and I bet she loves running with you! Richmond is a beautiful course. Have you run it before?

Congrats on your decision.
    Definitely take Tori with you on your runs or at least for a fast finish long run. I know running with Zoey has improved my pace. Even though she reduces my weight by about 30 lbs and pulls me, my leg turn over has to be faster to keep up. I think running with a fast dog is a benefit.
    Joanne recently posted..Wild Apple Crumble PieMy Profile

I was wondering what your decision was. As you know, I started MAF training about the same time as you and have been struggling with the same decision. I run the CIM in December. I think I’ve decided to continue MAF through Sept and start doing some tempo runs – keeping my long runs MAF. Thank you so much for sharing your journey. It has helped me with my journey. Here’s to running faster!!!

• MissZippy says

Keep me posted, Patty. It was a tough decision and I’m still not sure I made the right one, but no looking back now!

Sounds good. I believe using both training methods together will work out very well for you. You, make a good test subject. haha. :) Good luck with your training and Happy Friday the 13th.
    David recently posted..Running Again!My Profile

7. Jilly Bean says

I’ll be running Richmond as my first marathon, if all goes well. I’ve been following your MAF training posts. When I started running a few years ago, I did heart rate training exclusively, but I let it go and ended up eventually with ITBS. Hmm! Maybe I will go back to it after Richmond.

Thanks for the insight and inspiration.