This MAF stuff really works!

IMG 2577 225x300 This MAF stuff really works!

Sending me good results!

The weather gods were smiling on me Wednesday, just at the right time for me to do another MAF test. I knew, based on my cooler recent runs in Ohio and the Adirondacks, that the results were going to be good, given the right temperatures. So I strapped on the HRM and headed out to my usual MAF testing course with a couple of friends in tow.

The test went really, really well. I am so pleased with my progress since May. Here’s how the numbers break down from month to month:

May: 9:37, 9:51, 10:23, 10:31

June: 8:55, 8:55, 9:07, 9:04

July: 8:48, 8:40, 8:55, 9:00

August: 8:20, 8:15, 8:24, 8:32

I had to restrain myself from putting those August numbers in bold, by the way. It’s so rewarding to see that kind of progress.

Now I’m down to my final four weeks. Part of me is tempted to just keep riding this wave all the way through my marathon, just out of curiosity to see what it would get me. Actually, that would probably be the smartest thing I could do. But I think I’ll probably crack by mid-September. Yesterday, I admit, I cheated on my MAF training, something I’ve never done. I just wanted to have a normal run with my friends and not look at my watch. Today I’m back on the horse, but one little day felt pretty darn sweet.

So that’s the word and it’s good. Send me patience for my final four weeks!

I know several of you have started MAF training now, too: how’s it going for you? And who else is loving this amazing running weather?

Comments

That is so encouraging Amanda! Sadly I’m not running right now and won’t know definitely for how long until Mon. But, I’m taking my MAF training to the bike! I still have to figure out the details of if and how it can be done on a stationary bike. If it works out I’m going to stick with it and then return as soon as I can with MAF and running.

I have serious pace envy :)
    Jill @ Fitness, Health and Happiness recently posted..Kickstart Your Day with BreakfastMy Profile

• MissZippy says

So bummed for you! You can do it on the bike, though, in the meantime. Can’t hurt and might just help when you are back, hopefully soon.

Every time you post about MAF training you make me want to try it more and more! I’ve been thinking that I would benefit from it, especially because I’m in a post-injury base-building period right now. I’ll probably spring for a heart rate monitor in the next couple weeks and give it a shot.

3. Tim says

Well done. I am coming off ankle surgery and a 4 month running sabbatical and beginning MAF training to restore my aerobic base. Curious to know what your weekly mileage is to get such great results? Keep up the good work.

Wow- those are incredible results! I’ve really enjoyed reading about your MAF journey. I bet it’s hard to do at the beginning (and at other times you just want to run!) but the results must feel good!
    It’s actually been super hot here this past week! But I’m not complaining- we’ll have snow before I know it!
    Abby @ Change of Pace recently posted..What’s up with my workouts?My Profile

You are like a textbook MAF example of how it should work! You have exercised your patience all these months, stuck to the plan, and now have the results to prove it works. Amazing! Looking forward to hear how you will transition into marathon training and if you keep some portion of your runs at the MAF heart rate. Way to go, Amanda!
    Beth @ Miles and Trials recently posted..Rio Grande Half Marathon Race RecapMy Profile

6. bob says

Man, that’s great. This weather sure has made me feel strong. I’m able to sustain a BQ pace for longer and longer. It’s ridiculous to think that I will qualify in my September marathon, but I’m glad that I have the nerve to even consider it. Your results are so good. Why not continue until the marathon?

Nice work! I feel like MAF training is a big leap of faith initially so it is very exciting when you can actually measure your improvements.
    I thought about you when I saw this podcast interview with Dr. Maffetone: http://www.enduranceplanet.com/dr-phil-maffetone-how-to-use-maf-for-higher-intensity-racing-the-mental-side-to-racing-audio-while-exercising-double-vs-single-run-days-at-maf-rpe-vs-hr-and-much-more/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+EnduranceRadioDailyAudioInterview+%28Endurance+Planet+Podcasts%29.
    I haven’t listened to it yet but thought you might be interested (sorry the link is so long!)
    Andrea @ The Fit Scoop recently posted..Week 27: Goodbye Second Trimester and is Labor like a Marathon?My Profile

8. Debbie @ Deb Runs says

Wow! Your times have really come down! I’m new to your blog, so I need to go back and check out what your MAF training involves. Is it just basically keeping your heart rate below a certain number on your runs. One of my friends was telling me about that, but I don’t remember what she called it.

• MissZippy says

Debbie–if you do a search on my search bar for MAF, you should be able to come up with the full history and links on the method.

9. Erin says

I have been stalking your website, facebook and tweets waiting for this post!! After reading about you trying this I finally decided to try, I am one month in, testing on Tuesday, can’t wait to see my month 1 results!! CONGRATS on your progress!!!

• MissZippy says

I know…I never thought I could find the patience but once I gave in, it’s been much easier mentally than I expected.

10. Katie O says

Do you feel like you are working at the same level of difficulty now even though you are running a few minutes/mile faster?

11. Pollysz says

I have just stumbled across your blog and MAF training. These are awesome results. Twice I have tried to do MAF but always find an excuse to pick up the tempo. I am hoping for third time lucky, although the Australian summer might affect the results. How many runs per week do you do and what type of distances to get these results?

Trackbacks

1. […] When I shared my interest in starting heart rate training for running, I was given many helpful articles and words of encouragement from the running community.  Many Polar Ambassadors stepped up with their advice as well as fellow FitFluential Ambassador MissZippy1.  In fact, Amanda introduced me to the MAF method and shared her successful experience running and training using MAF. […]