We’re just returning from an unplugged week, which we spent in the Adirondack Mountains at our favorite spot, Timberlock, on Indian Lake. We all got our batteries recharged, but I’ll admit, I could use another week of that. A week away from all social media, emails, voicemails, carpools, etc., is pretty much bliss. I had no trouble disconnecting.
How did we all fill our time instead? A roundup:
- Three mountain climbs, one small, one medium, and one large (pictured above)
- Countless swims and drops from the rope swing
- Six or seven paddleboard excursions
- Fishing (my son was in heaven)
- Reading books, not computers
- Five horseback trail rides
- One afternoon of waterskiing
- Two naps
- White water rafting
- Enjoying great conversations with fellow guests
- And oh yes, some pretty choice running, both on trails and the road
The weather provided a fantastic break from the heat and humidity of Maryland, too, and keeping my heart rate low–even on big mountain climbs–was amazingly easy. And talk about great sleeping weather…
Not sure I want to wait an entire year to do this again, but that’s probably the reality of it. Timberlock is such a special place for us. Every year I say we’ll take a break and go somewhere else, and every year, just as we’re getting ready to pull out, I inevitably sign us up again. If you live in the Northeast, I can’t recommend it highly enough; there’s no better way to recharge than to unplug, pull away and leave everything else to the amazing Catlin family and their staff.
Now back to reality.
Ever vacationed in the Adirondacks? Hate or love getting back on line after a break?