Vacation training truths

IMG 2809 225x300 Vacation training truthsWe went back to the Jersey shore last week (who’s buying me my second home down there, btw?) and loved every minute of it. Well, except for when the kids were fighting, but anyhow…the truth of the matter is that when I travel, my workouts/eating/daily life are different. Yes, I keep workouts up while on vacation but things just aren’t exactly as they are in the little bubble of a world that we all create at home. For me, these were the training truths of last week:

• I don’t care how early you get up, running in July on the E. Coast is hot and sunny. Holy cow is the sun unrelenting when you are running on the shore.
  • As much as I try to mimic my normal eating habits, when I’m away there’s no getting around the fact that I’m not eating exactly as usual. Maybe it’s an age thing, but my body just craves getting back to normal. Hello green smoothies!
  • There’s nothing better than a cold bottle of water eight miles into a hot 14-miler. Nothing.
  • A strong headwind will affect your pace just as much as hills or humidity. I made the mistake of doing a nine-miler out-and-back one day heading out with a tailwind. Still keeping my heart rate where I wanted it, I had an almost two-minute/mile drop in pace when I turned around. Not fun.
  • I did an outdoor CrossFit class two times while there. Loved it and enjoyed the fact that on the partner workout day, my partner and I were easily the oldest pair there but still finished the WOD first. Might have helped that the WOD involved running.  :  )
  • There aren’t a lot of cyclists and runners out at 5:30 a.m. on July 5th. But by 6;30 or so, I had plenty of company as we all tried to beat the heat.
  • As rough as the heat and humidity are on MAF training, I don’t ever want summer to end.

How do things change for your healthy living when you travel? Summer–embracing the heat or loathing it?

Comments

Hehehe – I felt right at home in the DC/NJ area over the last 2 weeks, thanks to the summer heat & humidity! Although it wasn’t exactly the “break” in the weather I might have hoped for – I was glad I wouldn’t lose any of my acclimatization while traveling!

However, my cross training DEFINITELY takes a hit while traveling. I manage to keep my runs in place (as they are both easily portable and essential for my current training goals), but my spinning/cycling, swimming, and lifting all went out the window this trip. There were a few push-ups here and there, but otherwise, the workout regimen was significantly pared down. Ooops?
    Holly KN recently posted..Back (to ‘Where-My-Bed-Is’) Home!My Profile

• MissZippy says

Holly–glad we could accommodate on the heat/humidity! I’m like you..when I’m on vacation, if something’s going to give, it’s strength training/cross-training!

I’m trying to still embrace summer – although walking out of my house at 5:30 this morning to already muggy conditions was rough… I’ll take a good sweat over goosebumps any day!
    Kait – @runkaitrun recently posted..Fab FourthMy Profile

The same happens to me with eating. After coming back from our backpacking trip on Sunday, all Will and I wanted was a bowl full of fresh veggies! Backpacking food is so nutrition dense (with good reason) but crazy heavy, and it throws me off for at least a week after I return home.
    Colorado Gal recently posted..Round Two: The Colorado MarathonMy Profile

I am still trying to embrace the heat and humidity even after being on the east coast since 1996. :) vacation definitely impacts my eating and working out- I am trying to figure out what being on a cruise during the height of marathon training is going to mean for me in August.
    Elena recently posted..Train with Team in TrainingMy Profile

I remember the heat and humid air at the beach and in NoVa during the summer months. It is pretty cool in the mornings here in SoCal and then it heats up very fast around 9-10am. The nice thing is those cooler, dry over night temps, but I hate to say this… I miss East Coast summers, I liked running in that thick, wet air because you sweat so much it’s like a detox.
    LisaM@RunWiki recently posted..Cherry Chocolate Cereal MixMy Profile

Even if my workouts aren’t the same intensity or duration as they are at home, I love to incorporate fitness into vacations and business travel. It’s such a great way to see more of the place you’re visiting, plus it helps offset indulgent vacation meals and never-ending business dinners! I’m struggling a bit with the heat & humidity right now. Did a 10-mile run yesterday and thought I was going to melt. Makes me a little nervous about marathon training over the next few months!
    Nicole @ Work in Sweats Mama recently posted..Why It’s Tough for WAHMs to Make New FriendsMy Profile

I LOVE summer! I think a change of pace for vacation is fun too. I maybe don’t train the same but I just try to get a run in. We went to FL in June and it was HOT, but I was still able to get in a good 6-8 miles almost every day. I eat different on vacation too….but it is vacation so it’s okay :)….enjoy it!!!
    Jen @ milesandblessings recently posted..I’m excited!!!My Profile

That is one of the reason I dont like vacation very much but my eating get way out of wack and I have a hard time getting back on track when i get back home. Way to enjoy time on your vacation. I would to run along some water. Plan on doing a marathon that will allow me to do that some day. On my bucket list.
    penny recently posted..Reebok Spartan Race GiveawayMy Profile

I don’t generally exercise when I’m on vacation (down south) and eat and drink all the wrong things. In the summer, when I visit my mom’s cottage, I’ll run, and generally eat the same stuff I do at home.
    Robin recently posted..Revisiting My Youth…My Profile

Love the heat but the humidity is kicking my tail – I’m literally gasping 5 minutes in!!
    So very cool that you and your partner were the oldest pair and dominated the WOD!!! Way to represent for 40 somethings!!!
    So awesome that y’all got to go back to the Jersey shore – we spent 3 weeks there one summer (class for Chris – play for the boys and I) – hit just about every beach, museum and touristy spot – it was great!!
    Kim recently posted..Vein Stripping: A Final ReportMy Profile

11. Terzah says

My Jersey Shore running experience was very similar (except that my kids really didn’t fight much–they had never seen the beach before and so the whole trip was charmed in that regard). Humid, headwind/tailwind roulette, slightly off eating (my in-laws are great cooks, but it ain’t the healthiest fare!) and weird sleep. I found the humidity more than made up for the lower altitude.

As for the heat….I hate it. And having the kids at home messes with my routine, especially on Thursdays and Fridays when I’m not at work. So I’m looking forward to August 22, the first day of school….and I’m also looking forward to the first real cold front of fall!

12. bob says

Running’s a lot about facing discomfort and adversity. The heat sucks, but it’s also kind of awesome. I just finished a 9 mile run. I’ve been doing most of my runs around this time of day (noon). Makes you feel like you really accomplished something. I’m finding I run more during my breaks, but our schedule and our life in general is a little weird.

Sounds incredible, especially beating all the younger folk at the WOD! And a beach house is definitely on my want list!
    The biggest thing that changes for me on holidays is my eating. I eat a lot more junk and grease than normal and I feel it on my runs. On the other hand, I don’t feel nearly as rushed in my workouts. I take my time stretching and working on core and embrace that extra time!
    Abby @ Change of Pace recently posted..Spare timeMy Profile

I am trying to embrace the heat even though I do not like it. I run better at cooler temps.
    Glad you enjoyed your vacation. Vacations are always fun, but it does feel good to get back into our normal routines. I am usually pretty good about working out on vacations, but my eating habits go down the drain.
    Great job at crossfit too. You rock!
    Tasha @ Healthy Diva recently posted..Holy Excitement!My Profile

Generally there is always activity happening when I travel. Usually I travel for races and tack on a holiday at the end. If it’s a long race then I might use the holiday as recovery time – but walk everywhere. If it’s a holiday that’s just a holiday I use my runs to explore.
    Char recently posted..Gold Coast 2013My Profile

I think when I travel I get less and less motivated as the trip goes on :) Day one I’m ALL about getting a run in, but then my family or friends will convince me that “I’m on vacation” so I shouldn’t mess with working out. While sometimes I do give in to that way of thinking, I always seem to feel MUCH better when I know I’ve still kept up my game and won’t regret slacking off when I get home!

Heat- loathing. It’s so humid here in Arkansas!!
    Sarah @ Sweet Miles recently posted..Just Call Me “Hippy”My Profile

Traveling changes things, but I would like to think I’m pretty good about staying active. Even if it is different types of activities than while at home, doing something is better than nothing? There is always more food while traveling, that;s a given and sometimes it’s hard to maintain the healthy options you have at home and can control.

The summer heat has been love hate for me…. I’ve had some strong workouts and runs but I have also had some issues with the heat and humidity. I guess that’s life though, there will never be perfect conditions so you have to make it work with what you are given!
    Laura @losingrace recently posted..Testing, Testing, Allergy Failure Ahead.My Profile

Travel can be the worst! I try to “every other day” it – I work out on a quasi-normal routine knowing that it isn’t near as “full on” as the rest, but I try to eat really well every other day to give my body some fuel. Last year I was in the Dominican Republic for a wedding and running was near impossible as I slogged through the humidity…so my mileage was pretty much nada, but my pool time increased significantly :)
    Sheila recently posted..Get in Shape GirlMy Profile

Hi there! I just jumped over from Blonde Ponytail..
    I HATE the east coast heat and humidity and while out suffering through another bug filled 10 miler this morning, I thought about all the injury reports I’ve been reading from some other running bloggers and I decided that it was better to be out running and swatting bugs then injured at home…but I was still annoyed and sweating buckets!
    You are SO right about the cold water!!!
    Allie Burdick recently posted..HUMBLE TRIMy Profile

I’m the same way – craving routine and familiar eats. My husband thinks it’s nuts that all I want is a green smoothie when we get home from a vacation!! The East Coast heat this year has been unlike anything else but I probably say that every summer. I think that I need to move to a more temperate climate zone! haha. So glad that you had a great time at the shore!
    Christine @ Love, Life, Surf recently posted..RealMy Profile

I trained for a marathon in a Missouri summer a couple of years ago and it was not fun. I did a couple of 5 am runs, but my normal run was around 5 pm and it was wicked hot and humid! Training in that heat sure will make your cooler runs 2 x easier!
    Travel Spot recently posted..Currently: JulyMy Profile