Ok, it’s pretty funny that after my last post I am going to talk about a fall marathon, but it’s my blog, so I’ll talk out of both sides of my mouth if I want. ; )
Anyhow–I had plans to run a 50k this November, not a marathon. But I had also assumed that my March marathon was going to go well. Since it didn’t, I have decided to continue on my never-ending quest to improve my marathon time before I’m in a nursing home. Plus, while I have a Boston time for next year, I wouldn’t mind moving up a corral. So a fall marathon it is.
But which one is the question. A few parameters:
- Because of the way I’m going to train this summer (more on that later) I probably need something in the mid-Nov. to early Dec. timeframe.
- I’d prefer the course be within driving distance, but I’m open to a not-too-long flight for the right race.
- While I don’t want something Big Sur tough, I’m not sure I want pancake flat, either. Something fast but not necessarily just flat.
- The first weekend in Nov. is out of the question.
- I want something small- to medium-sized–no big “event” races with thousands upon thousands of people.
- I’d welcome a race I haven’t done before.
A few that I am considering at this point:
- Richmond–I’ve done this one twice, so not overly thrilled to do it a third time, but I love this race. My PR is here, it’s a perfect size (around 3,000 for the marathon?) and the weather is generally a safe bet.
- Rehoboth Beach–First weekend in December. I know and like Rehoboth and it’s not a very long drive from here. Drawbacks–I’d prefer not to be racing into December and Rehoboth is flat.
- Bucks County–This is a pretty new race and also pretty small. But the timing is good and I love Bucks County. I think it might be an out-and-back course, though, which doesn’t excite me.
- Madison, Wisc.–Probably the one I’d least likely do because of the distance, but the timing is good and I’ve always wanted to visit Madison for some reason.
What races am I missing for November or early December? Philadelphia isn’t on my list, by the way, because I’ve done it a couple of times and it’s getting really big, which is a turnoff. I’m open to suggestions–anyone know of any hidden gems I’m overlooking?
Thanks for your input.