Treadmill desk update

Ok, so I’ve had my LifeSpan Fitness treadmill desk for probably six weeks now and it has definitely become part of the daily routine. In fact, I just returned from a two-day conference in Dallas where I had to sit all day and let me tell you, my body was not happy!

I’d say I am spending an average of two hours each day on the treadmill desk. I think it does help loosen up my legs when they are tired, but I also think that as a runner, I have to be careful not to overdo the treadmill desk…I will continue to gradually build the time I spend on it. I am also careful about using it in the week of a race–the last couple of days leading up to my race last week, I kept the walking down to about 30 minutes, just to be safe.

To give you guys a better idea of what the desk is like, and how easy it is to use, I shot some video. In the spirit of keeping it real, I kept the background noise of my daughter chasing after our cat in there, too! Take a look/listen:

I’m now a treadmill desk devotee and can’t imagine ever going back to sitting. We’re built to move and that’s how I intend to keep it.

Find LifeSpan Fitness on Facebook, Twitter, and their web site.

Disclaimer: I was given the treadmill for free; all opinions are my own.

Comments

I totally want a treadmill desk although my boss is not sure if a standing desk is professional looking so she probably wouldn’t go for the treadmill
    Amanda recently posted..PeriodizationMy Profile

I think it’s a great idea but not practical for my work. I’m moving around the room a lot while I look for fabrics and put them away and when I’m sewing I just don’t think I could control the foot pedal while walking. I’ll just have to keep getting my exercise from other sources.
    Char recently posted..Pre-Race JittersMy Profile

I like your comment that you have to be careful not to overdo it. I think incorporating more movement into our day is important, but as athletes we tend to take things to extremes. Lots of type A personalities! I think it can be intimidating to people just starting out b/c they think they’ll never be able to do so much. They need encouragement and realistic milestones to get started. And incorporating more movement into their workday can be a great place to start!
    Nicole @ Work in Sweats Mama recently posted..Confessions of a Blogger Newbie: Facebook FailMy Profile

I think it is a great idea. I would love to start using a treadmill desk. Or at least a standing desk so I wouldn’t have to be sitting down all day.

I would love a treadmill desk! I feel like I’d probably fall off a couple of times before getting used to it, but it would definitely beat sitting down all day. Part of the reason I love working from home is that i can take breaks to go for a run or walk the dog so I’m not sitting for extended lengths of time.
    Kari @ Running Ricig recently posted..high maintenance and obnoxiousMy Profile

I could do this at home, but firstly I would want to be running, I think; and secondly – my treadmill is built with a huge frame so I wonder where this desk-part would go? It does look like you are close to the wall and on your TM backwards?? I’ll need to do more research…
    Ashley @ Twynmawrmom recently posted..Audition Report #1My Profile

I love this. I just got a standing desk at work and spend about half my day working at it. It feels like it has really helped my hips and legs not get as tight as from sitting all day. Would love a treadmill desk!
    Beth @ Miles and Trials recently posted..ABQ 4 Boston 5KMy Profile

OBSESSED!! I want, want, want this treadmill desk!!!!!! I wouldn’t do as much cardio as I do in the AM! I do however have a stand up desk because I was getting back pain from sitting too much and… I was feeling guilty about being on my KEISTER ALL DAY LONG in front of the computer. Now I cannot sit in front of the computer EVER! lol. Funny how habits form!
    GiGi Eats Celebrities recently posted..Freeze! Ice Cream&#8217;s Chilling Truth!My Profile

As someone who works from home, I love this idea. I try to not get locked into sitting at my computer for too long and as a result I end up standing and typing a lot. This treadmill would be a nice alternative….if only I had the space!
    Michelle @ Running with Attitude recently posted..April RewindMy Profile

AMAZING. Ahh this is so high up on my wish list. Dream of being you in that video lol. I used to bring my work to the gym’s treadmill in college and read or study while walking. Now that I do most of my work at a computer, that’s not really an option. Somedayyy…

Thanks for sharing! I do think it’s important for people to understand–as you note in the video–that it’s not about getting a workout, but about staying in motion and breaking the sitting cycle.

Keep walkin!
    Meredith @ DareYouTo recently posted..Read: CravingMy Profile

I love this! A couple years ago I was visiting my parents and stopped by my Dad’s office and they have a community treadmill desk that anyone can use for a bit of time each day. I thought that was fantastic and every office should have at least one. I’ve never tried one myself but would absolutely love to. Great to see your review!
    lisa @ early morning run recently posted..Taste Test at Chobani SoHoMy Profile