LASIK one year later

IMG 1438 225x300 LASIK one year later

I did have to spend two weeks in glasses before LASIK, but I survived.

I had my vision corrected with LASIK about a year ago. When I posted about it last year, I received quite a few emails from people who were intrigued by the procedure, but who were sitting on the sidelines from fear. For those people, this post is all about saying go for it!

I lived with contacts for about 30 years. I never really thought of them as that much of a burden, but when you swim, bike and run, along with spending your share of time on a computer, they can get old. I finally ran out of patience for mine last year.

The LASIK procedure itself couldn’t have been easier, as was the recovery. Yes, I had to use eye drops several times a day, but that phase didn’t last all that long for me, and it still wasn’t the pain that contacts was. My vision? Amazing! When you’re nearsighted for as long as I was, it truly is a gift to regain perfect (or even better than) vision.

The only drawback to the procedure to me was the hit my farsighted vision took. The eye doctors prepared me for this, however. The procedure overcorrects your vision, so if you’re of a certain age, you may find you need reading glasses (or need them more often!). This was definitely the case for me, but as the summer progressed, I gradually returned to where I was prior to the procedure, which is needing the cheaters only on occasion. For the younger folks out there, I don’t think this is an issue at all.

Today I still see with 20/15 vision and have absolutely no issues with seeing halos or any other side effects from the surgery. As an athlete, not having to hassle with contacts and not having to deal with the drying out effects that come with them has been an absolute gift. I wouldn’t go back for anything!

Have you had vision correction? Would you ever consider it?

Comments

Thank you for this update. I’ve been going back and forth on LASIK. Contacts are OK but like you said, they are a pain sometimes when you’re active and especially in the water. Swimming was OK but when I started surfing? That was a different story. I lost so many pair of contacts in the water! I would love to have the procedure done!
    Christine @ Love, Life, Surf recently posted..Pin It Thursday!My Profile

I haven’t really considered Lasik but your review certainly makes it intriguing. I guess the only way to find out if my eyes can be corrected would be to go see someone about it.
    Char recently posted..Pre-Race JittersMy Profile

Would love that, but money is a problem, and medical aid won’t pay is my eyes aren’t bad enough.

So when I win the LOTTO I will look into it…

After years of glasses I finally found a guy who would give me contacts and they are amazing for trail running…
    Coach Dion recently posted..15km of TarMy Profile

4. MaryEllen says

I had LASIK in 2000, so 13 years ago! I was corrected to 20/10 in both eyes and 13 years later, I’m 20/15! Now that I’m 52, I need reading glasses for, well, reading and craft work, but my distance vision is perfect. As a runner and swimmer, no contacts is truly a blessing!

I had LASIK in 2010 and I’ve never looked back! Glasses when I was 2 and contacts in my 20s and I’d ask about surgery every year during my check-up. I really wanted to be without glasses and I am now! LOVE IT. I’d do it again! I am with you – so much easier to grab a pair of sunglasses instead of contacts or glasses when I am getting ready for a workout! I had bad astigmatisms in both eyes and they said I’d need a touch up that summer after but I never did. Fingers crossed that I keep defying the odds.
    lauriewalksfast recently posted..Two thumbs up for Washington DC!My Profile

6. Stacey says

I’ve always wanted to do this but everyone I know thats had it done needed readers after. I have no problems with close up work now and dont want to start. I work as a dental hygienist and do close up work all day and need to wear safety glasses which is fine with contacts but dont want to have to deal with readers to be able to work so it leaves me leary of having it done. Im sooooo on the fence. Would love to give up my glasses/contacts but couldnt deal with replacing them with readers! Any thoughts?

I’m glad to hear this worked so well for you! My FIL had LASIK, and he experienced the same overcorrection but it didn’t resolve as well as yours. I don’t wear glasses/contacts, so I never really thought about what a pain it must be for athletes! I do experience a lot of eye fatigue after long days at the computer, so I’ll be interested to see if I need anything at my next eye check-up!
    Nicole @ Work in Sweats Mama recently posted..Things that Scare Me: The FriedrichsbadMy Profile

I had Lasik done 6 years ago – best thing ever!! They did mine as a mono-vision (only operated on one eye) to try and prolong my need for reading glasses. I think I’ve reached the end of the road on that but I’m trying to hold out a little longer!!

I’ve been thinking this might be my “post IM” treat to myself. The gift of sight! I’ve worn glasses since 3rd grade and you’re right – with a very active lifestyle it’s a pain.

I’m glad you had such a positive experience!!! It’s reassuring to hear so many success stories!
    That Pink Girl recently posted..Wordless WednesdayMy Profile

I wear glasses (sometimes…most people don’t know it)..and Contacts… My sight isn’t bad enough where I have needed to consider LASIK. I can actually go without glasses or contacts (except reading, or driving at night). But I know so many who have done it and said it was one of the best choices they have ever made.
    Laura recently posted..The Runners ‘normal’My Profile

So glad the surgery was a success! My eyes have always been good but lately I notice them getting blurry. I hate to touch my eyes so I don’t think I could do contacts and I look like my mom when I wear glasses so that is out too;) I may have to look into surgery if my eyes get any worse:/
    rachelle q (hikermom) recently posted..Free Rant FridayMy Profile

I got LASIK 3 months ago, and so far have liked it so far. Like you, I have some halos at night while driving, but I’ve started to notice that less and less. The eyedrops are pretty annoying, but I think over time I will be able to not have to use them as much. I’m glad that I did it.
    Nelly recently posted..Peace, love, 26.2 / Running statusMy Profile

many of us have had our lives ruined by this procedure. you have a flap in your eye that can now be dislodged for the rest if your life. you are at risk of ectasia. and you will regress back to your pre op myopia in a feq years. all for a lousy temporary vision correction. spare a thought for Colin dorrian

Glad u did well. I have been doing lasik for 15 years and find this to be the rule rather than the exception. It is sad that many are still held back from this life changing experience by fear. Thanks for your post. If it helps a few people over one their reservation they undoubtedly will appreciate your encouragement that enabled their visual freedom!

15. Suvidha says

I had numbers in my both eyes around -5 & -6 & had no idea about lasik procedure and its cost, checked on website & got to know about Dr. Kenia eye hospital in Mumbai who has latest lasik machine & all lasik facilities.

I contacted them got through the check up & lasik was performed with Femtosecond machine & it was within my budget.

Hello There. I found your blog using msn. This is an extremely well written article.
    I will make sure to bookmark it and come back to read extra of your helpful info.
    Thank you for the post. I will certainly
    comeback.