I ran a half marathon yesterday

IGhalf 225x300 I ran a half marathon yesterday

Pic caught by a friend along the course

Because I’ve had such a long, dry spell with racing, I kept my plans to race yesterday a little quiet. But, I’m happy to tell you that I ran the IronGirl half marathon here in town and actually hit a PR with a 1:36!

It felt so, so good to feel good out there.This isn’t an easy course, so I wasn’t entirely sure how it would go down.

FavIGhalf 225x300 I ran a half marathon yesterdayThe mile markers were a mess…I’d clock a 9-something one mile and then a 5-something the next, so I was a bit in the dark at points in terms of how I was doing. But I did ask a few Garmin wearers a couple of times what our pace was, and there was a clock at the half-way point. It gave me a time of 48:xx, so I knew that if I could hold my pace, I’d do ok. This was before all the climbing started, though, so that was a variable I had to weigh.

Without a doubt I slowed on those big hills, but I figured that if I just made up for it after, I’d be ok. From about mile 11 on, the course was fairly downhill, so I really pushed myself there and it paid off. I think that in some ways, not really knowing my splits worked to my advantage–I was able to just tap into what my body could do no matter where I was.

This race went a long way to restoring my faith in my fitness level. I knew it was there, but when your body fails to live up to its training, it gets hard to believe in yourself. I needed yesterday and I’m so glad I put myself out there to give it a go. I think I’ll be smiling non-stop for the next few days!

Ever have a redemption race? Please share it!

Comments

Good for you. I don’t think your fitness level was ever in question. Let’s face it, our body has good days and not so good days; you just hit a patch of bad race day timing. Nothing you can do about that. That said, glad to see your confidence is restored.
    Jamoosh recently posted..I Dare YouMy Profile

2. Holly says

GREAT JOB!! Glad you had that huge confidence booster! And look at that fantastic form in the second photo – love it!

Congratulations!!!!!! Loved your pictures, your form looks awesome! There is nothing like a good redemption race. My redemption race was in 2011 where I ran a 1:36:xx half marathon too. It was like everything just clicked, where I really learned how to pace myself. I am thinking about going back and running that same race this year since I missed out on it last year. The lovely Amanda from Runninghood ran for me. :-)
    Tasha @ Healthy Diva recently posted..Week 14: Surprise!My Profile

That is a nice race, and it is a tough course! The hills don’t stop for the first 6+ miles, but after that doozy at about the 1/2 way mark, the course gets a tiny bit easier. I ran it last year, and like you, it restored my faith in my fitness. I didn’t want to run it. I wasn’t entirely prepared, but in the end, it was the best 1/2 I had done. I felt so good at the end of the race.

Glad you enjoyed that race!
    Michelle recently posted..What if my Aunt had balls…My Profile

WOW!!! Good heavens that’s fast!! One of these days I’ll have a PR as pretty as that one! I hope this more than makes up for your marathon that didn’t go as planned! You have to be beaming! :)

YAY!!!!!!!!!!! I am SO SO glad you had a good race. There is such an awesomeness in running a race where you feel good and run well (and PR!) after a rough one or two. Yay!! Great job!!!
    Erin recently posted..FourMy Profile

Congrats on the huge PR (especially on a hilly course)!!!!!!!!!

I have had redemption races before and it gives you a whole different sense of motivation and drive to be better. Goes along with “you can’t have a rainbow without the rain”. We learn to appreciate our good races much more when we have “bad” races to compare to.
    Laura recently posted..My First DuathlonMy Profile

Congrats on your PR. This is by far encouraging. I need one of these redemption races too, as even though my last 1/2 I did PR I still did not do as good as I have in me to do. The mental game got to me bad. It is awesome when you can just go out there and run a race that just feels right.
    Jolene Cannady recently posted..The Bad Race DayMy Profile

9. Rene says

Yay! I am so excited for you. I am hoping for a big PR half this year, but am definitely having trouble mentally. Your good news made me smile. Happy Monday!

Wow way to go! Congrats on your new PR! You look like youre hauling tail in the pics :) I am hoping that I have a “redemption” half PR this coming fall at WHM. Although I have PR’d since that race – I was feelin a bit deflated after the same race last November.
    beka recently posted..Weekly Workouts Roundup+ER Visit #2My Profile

AWESOME!!!! I’m so happy for you! Keep smiling, that’s an awesome accomplishment, and so glad to see all the speed training paid off!!!! Great job Amanda!!!

Redemption race you say? Hmm.. I do have a marathon this weekend and I DID miss my WS qualify a month ago. Ya, I might have to throw down the Zipster hammer and run my ass off in Toronto.

We need to have a conversation on sharing race schedules. I’m so intrigued by how you manage yours. I’m always like: “I’m racing here, and here, and here…”
    Pavement Runner recently posted..Choosing the Right Distance with FriendsMy Profile

I’ve been exploring for a little for any high quality articles or weblog posts on this kind of space . Exploring in Yahoo I finally stumbled upon this web site. Reading this info So i am glad to express that I’ve an incredibly excellent uncanny feeling
    I came upon just what I needed. I so much indisputably will make certain to don?

t overlook this site and provides it a glance on a constant basis.
    Garmin Gps Battery Change recently posted..Garmin Gps Battery ChangeMy Profile