The hay is in the barn

IMG 2353 300x225 The hay is in the barn

Desperately channeling 50s and overcast!

Less than two weeks until my next marathon and I am now on the taper side of things. Not going crazy in the least, I might add, but rather enjoying some cut back in miles/pace. Truth be told, I came into last week feeling pretty tired and ready for the break.

This training cycle has been anything but conventional for me, and I think that is going to pay off. I have done more marathon pace and tempo miles this time through than ever before. I have run my long runs on tired legs, done progression runs, and accomplished some really big workouts that I never thought I could do. Using my “one run at a time” approach, I have managed to complete just about every workout as it was written.

What I have I gained from this? Confidence in my marathon pace, for one. And comfort in my marathon pace. Somewhere around the middle of the training cycle, paces that had been hard for me became almost comfortable. That’s a great feeling–knowing that when I set out at my goal pace, it’s going to feel like second nature to me.

So the work is done, the rest is happening and now do you know what I need? Some good weather. This is my third marathon in 11 months, and I need a third time is the charm miracle on that front. I had the heat of Boston, the torrential downpours of CIM, and do you know what is happening here in the Mid Atlantic this week? Yep, a pretty big snowstorm. After an entire winter with a total snow accumulation of two inches, we are staring down a monster snow event in March. My marathon is on a paved trail–about 10 years ago, after a major snowstorm, they ended up canceling this marathon because they couldn’t get it cleared enough to hold the event. I know I shouldn’t worry about things I can’t control, but after all that hard work, seriously?

One more reason I need to move somewhere warm!

Have you tried anything new with training lately? Have you ever had a race cancelled or otherwise compromised due to weather?

Comments

Fingers and toes and arms and legs are crossed for you that the weather cooperates. You most definitely deserve it. I love hearing your confidence shine through when you talk about your training this cycle. So glad that you are doing and feeling well.
    Christine @ Love, Life, Surf recently posted..UnpluggedMy Profile

I tried to do your progression run yesterday, but my course that I run on is really hilly and it didn’t really work. However, my average pace WAS faster than normal, so something worked! Good luck on your marathon! I’m keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn’t snow!

I can remember a 10km beem cancelled because of wind, Well I still ran… a 2.4km run in the army was called off because it was over 40*C… maybe you should move here, today it’s 35*C and amazing.. Pitty I have to work!

They also stopped a cycle race early because of heat 38*C, but I was past the cut off point… My first Ironman was delayed because of wind!!!

Role on Marathon, enjoy the taper
    Coach Dion recently posted..DOWN TO THE WIREMy Profile

Oh man! That would suck. A local 1/2 was just cancelled 2 weeks ago because of a snowstorm. I had thought about doing it but had a feeling that something like that would happen. February in NH? Too risky. I’m hoping the weather forecast is completely wrong and it’s nothing but blue skies and perfect running conditions for you. Fingers and toes are crossed!
    Angela @ Happy Fit Mama recently posted..Marathon Monday Week 3My Profile

Taper crazies =) I will keep us all (I have the NYC Half on 3/17!) in my thoughts/prayers that the weather holds up – I can’t even begin to imagine how hard it would be if they cancel it :/ UGH.
    Really excited to see how your unconventional training plays out on race day. Enjoy the next 2 weeks!! =)
    Michele @ Nycrunningmama recently posted..Menu Planning for Ironman TrainingMy Profile

Love that you tried new things this cycle! I’m hoping to be brave enough to do that next time around. As for the weather, I hear you… I’ve had the worst luck this year, too, but finally had perfect conditions yesterday. Fingers crossed that the snow will be gone, and you’ll have a beautiful cool, sunny day!
    Laura @ Mommy Run Fast recently posted..Sugarland Half Marathon RecapMy Profile

Oh man, I hope that weather cooperates. Sounds like you are READY.

I guess the one thing new in my training is that I’m actually TRAINING for my goal races, and I’m training for a goal time rather than just to finish. That’s kind of exciting.
    Kate recently posted..Weekend +My Profile

This brings back memories of my first attempt at a 70.3 at Muncie. A freak heat wave hit the midwest and at the athletes meeting, they announce they were shortening it to an modified olympic. Being 70.3 ready and only getting to race half the distance, at first, made me mad, but after a couple hours to cool my jets, I realized it was the right thing to do.
    Scott recently posted..Question of the Week: To Train or Not to Train While Sick?My Profile

I am really excited for you and can empathize with every single word. I too have had a tough marathon training and I can’t imagine if when I wake up on April 15 a huge snow storm or heat wave occurred. I know we can’t control the weather but dang, marathon training is a huge commitment. I have a good feeling for you, fingers crossed it is cool and free of ice and snow, one of those perfect Maryland running days. I can tell your ready, so excited for you Amanda!
    LisaM@RunWiki recently posted..A letter of apology to my bodyMy Profile

SOunds like this cycle has been stellar for you! You’ve controlled the things you can, alas weather is not one of those. We’re hunkering down for 10+” more snow tonight, on top of 12″ last week and a bunch the week before. Praying the planets and mother nature align this time so can run the race that you’ve trained for!
    Marcia recently posted..Motivation Monday: Fan EditionMy Profile

Yay for taper! I finally feel like I have figured out how to taper “right” for me and it has made a big difference (and I don’t go too crazy!!) Fingers crossed you get perfect weather and can put all of that awesome training to good use. I think you are going to have a wonderful race. I will be cheering for you! :)
    Erin recently posted..InspiredMy Profile

I would be nervous too. I mean, all that training. I’m still not believing that I won a lottery spot into NYC, only to have that cancelled. Crazy how these things happen right? Odds though are in your favor. Not many races get cancelled.

When you get a chance, will you read the blog I posted today and tell me what you think? It’s about my minimalist shoes. Thanks ahead of time! Coy
    Coy recently posted..My minimalist shoes. I need your input.My Profile

Bad weather just cannot happen to you for the third time! I was one of the NYC Marathon peeps that got the cancellation notice just minutes after traveling across the country and landing in New York. Oh well, it ended up being an amazing experience anyway.

I have been trying something new by following the Hanson’s Marathon Training Plan for Boston. It will be hard to evaluate the plan since I had my little injury setback, but I have never run 6 days each week before, and I’m loving it, says the injured person :-).
    Beth @ Miles and Trials recently posted..Marathon Monday – 6 Weeks to BostonMy Profile

I have loved watching your training. I truly believe all your hard work will pay off. You’ve certainly earned a great time. And hopefully your good training karma will extend to great weather for your event.

I have never had one of my events cancelled, but a few years ago I was the volunteer coordinator at a local triathlon that was held in October. It was raining so hard and with the temps in the 40s, they were really afraid for the athletes out on the bikes, so the race was cancelled. Disappointing, but really the right decision when it can be dangerous.
    Debbie @ Live from La Quinta recently posted..Weekly Training Recap: La Jolla Half Marathon Week 6My Profile

I hope the weather holds up for you! My first half I had been training in under 30 degree weather and then showed up for the race and it was a humid 70+. It was a hard race and scary seeing other runners actually go down from the unexpected heat. They actually ended up canceling the full marathon midway through the race and diverting all the full marathoners to the half course.
    Amanda recently posted..Workout Recap and Workouts 3/4 – 3/10My Profile

Keeping my fingers crossed on the weather for you….and am so excited for you as it sounds like you run smart, challenged yourself, and seen amazing progress. The biggest change in my training lately has been to do more walking….I am feeling finally ready to start stepping things back up.

Hay is in the barn, indeed! Come on, good weather!

I’ve been trying something new this cycle: glycogen depletion (per your experience and recommendation), and I could use some advice, actually. Other than a light bfast before my LRs, I haven’t been taking any fuel during my LRs (even the 20’ers). They’ve been going great! No bonking, feeling strong for the most part. Alls well.

My concern is, after having NOT eaten any GUs, etc for all these months now, will my stomach/GI track digest them OK on race day? Should I eat fuel on my last 20 miler in preparation? Should I eat GUs for mid-day snacks to train my stomach? Hahaha, I’m legitimately curious! I don’t want any stomach problems after all this hard work!
    Efo recently posted..Monday MusingsMy Profile