I didn’t really intend this, but it is looking like 2013 is going to be my year of racing locally. I’m not sure, but I think having two big marathons (Boston and CIM) tied to big travel last year have made me want to stay fairly local this year.
For instance, when it came time to pick a March marathon (I zeroed in on March for better weather odds) I didn’t even peruse options that were far flung, which is unusual for me. Then as I put together the rest of my year (for the most part) I again found myself looking locally.
I do love traveling for races and racing in new locales. I think, though, that when I travel for a race, it somehow makes it even more of a big deal. I’m sinking money and time away from my family into this one event, and that can’t help but result in it becoming a bit larger than life.
It just seems like there’s a little more (self inflicted) performance pressure in these cases. I mean, if I am going all the way to California to run a marathon, I’d just better have a good race, right? Um, wrong in this case, but anyhow…
It all leads up to my race schedule this year, which is more or less going to look like this:
- March 16–B & A Trail Marathon in the next county over
- April 28–IronGirl half marathon right here in town. This one is tentative. I’ve found if I don’t have a commitment hanging over my head post-marathon, I do a better job at recovering properly, so I’ll leave this decision until the last minute.
- August–IronGirl sprint triathlon right here in town.
- September–IronGirl sprint triathlon in Rocky Gap, Md (short drive)
- October–Maybe the Runner’s World Half if I am lucky enough to be invited back
- November–Rosaryville 50k in nearby Virginia
Of course, plans change, so not much of this is written in stone. But as you can see, I’ll be hanging close to home this year. I kind of like this–it’s nice to support the local race scene and around here, there’s no shortage of choices when it comes to racing. So that’s that–my year of racing locally.
Are your race plans close to home or far away this year? Which do you prefer? And if you have an amazing race that IS farflung, do share–I am always open to consideration!