Off to a good start

Week one of marathon training is done. And it was good, albeit challenging.

I know lots of people out there routinely turn marathons around one after the other, but I do not. This December to early March turnaround is completely new to me and requires that I jump right back into mileage buildup. So this week’s training included tempos and a long run of 16, after about five weeks of shorter, much easier runs. So it was a bit of a shock to the system, but I did ok. This coming week will bring even more of the same and I’m looking forward to seeing how it goes.

I also added in my first workout at a CrossFit box. I’ve done outdoor CrossFit at the shore, before, but this was my first legit box workout (I bought a 30-day Groupon to try it). I can tell I’ll love it. What I can’t tell, however, is how hard it will to incorporate two weekly CrossFit workouts into marathon training. I suspect it’s going to be a bit tough, especially since I’m brand new to it, but like I’ve said before, I think endurance sports and CrossFit can work together. Still, looking at my week’s training, Coach Jeff suggested I only do one CrossFit session this week, early on, so that my legs can handle a tough Friday and 18-mile Saturday.

ravensfans 001 300x225 Off to a good start

From a couple years back…the Ravens seed was sown early!

So that’s what’s going on in the world of running here. I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention what happened in the world of football this past weekend. Well, that is if you’re re a Ravens fan, and I might know a few of those around here. It was an awesome game!

If you go from one marathon to the next, do you find the quick turnaround challenging? Did your favorite NFL team play this weekend?

Comments

If my body is working I’m almost aways in marathon shape, so it’s always easy to say: Yes I’ll run that marathon, lets pick up the training…

That said, it’s aways good to get that 1st week under the belt knowing that now we are focused on a marathon. let the weeks unroll…
    Coach Dion recently posted..2013 TIME TO GET DOWN TO BUSINESSMy Profile

I know my body is not ready for back to back marathons… if I keep doing fulls, 1-2 a year is plenty. But lots of people do it! And your body is used to those distances, much more so than mine! I love that you loved crossfit… I’ll be curious to hear how you combine the two this cycle.
    Laura @ Mommy Run Fast recently posted..Houston Marathon RecapMy Profile

I’m with you – I don’t think I could ever do the back-to-back marathons!
    You will have to share some of your cross fit stuff on here. I’m thinking about trying it – a little scared! My younger brother has turned into a cross-fit pro down in TX!!!
    Kim recently posted..Happy Monday!!!!My Profile

My favorite team (Seahawks) lost. Boooo. I thought my poor husband was going to have a heart attack. :/

So excited that you did crossfit. I love it so much!!!! My coach has me do two cross training days a week and I just use those for crossfit. He says when I am training for a marathon he won’t let me go more than two times. I think that is fine because it is the perfect amount to complement my running workouts. I have always lifted on cross training days or have done some type of intense boot camp even when training for CIM & Eugene so doing crossfit doesn’t really change a lot for me. Maybe that is why my coach is okay with two days a week.

What I like best about the workouts is how quick and simple they are. Every time I go I get an awesome workout and since I have been going at the end of October I have never had the same workout. The competitive, but friendly atmosphere is awesome too! Have fun!
    Tasha @ Healthy Diva recently posted..Featured Runner: RainaMy Profile

I knew someone was happy about that game somewhere, but it wasn’t around here. I was mainly hoping the Broncos would win so we’d have a quiet Sunday or two at work coming up–not hugely in to pro football.

Going from one marathon to another is hard. I’ll be glad when I don’t have to do it any more. It’s nice that Eugene is a little further out–I don’t have to run more than 10 miles right now in this cold!
    Terzah recently posted..Still Learning….My Profile

All the best with the new training cycle! I’ve never ramped up again quite as fast: just late October marathons and then for Boston. Doable, especially if the weather cooperates! I’ve had more than my fill of football around here. Caveman is in heaven!
    Marcia recently posted..Rodent Wisdom?My Profile

Great job with your first week of training! The closest I got to back-to-back marathons was doing one in October and another in March. I liked that I already had such a good base built, especially with my long runs so I didn’t feel like I was starting from scratch.
    Kristen recently posted..Adjusting to life with my 2 boysMy Profile

So glad training is going well!! I would be cautious with the CrossFit (start slow). I know a few runners who tried to incorporate it into marathon training and too much too soon led to them being too sore to handle their runs and/or injured.
    Erin recently posted..Sunday night recap and answersMy Profile

Neither of my NY teams are even in the playoffs. Womp Womp.
    I’m excited to hear how CrossFit ends up working with your schedule and running!!!! I am barely fitting in my low-mileage weeks now so I know CrossFit has to wait a bit for me until Ryan is a little older. One day.
    You do a hard run on Friday before a long run on Saturday? That’s really impressive!
    Michele @ Nycrunningmama recently posted..Progression Run + Explosion of Thomas the TrainMy Profile

I plan on starting Crossfit in the coming couple of weeks and hope to get in around 2-3 workouts a week while training for my next half marathon goal. After that half, maybe I’ll routinely go for at least 3x a week for the remaining couple of weeks. I know my body is going to be completely thrown for a loop! I bought a livingsocial deal too :)
    beka @ rebecca roams recently posted..My Biggest Commitment of 2013My Profile

Early on last year I attempted doing Crossfit with marathon training but it was too much to me. You can do it if you have the time to put in but I didn’t. And, you will almost always be running on sore legs at least a couple days a week. If I were you, I’d do Monday/Wedesday Crossfit so you have plenty of time to recover for Saturday long run.
    Ericka @ The Sweet Life recently posted..Winter Running BenefitsMy Profile

Go, Niners.

I think you’re nuts to turn it around and run a full 3 months after your last one. Not a MANIAC though. Perhaps I’m a maniac for saying GO, NINERS over here. I said it again.

One last time. GO, NINERS.
    MILF Runner recently posted..Mailbag Monday #2My Profile

I’ve been debating trying CrossFit for something different but am going to wait until my knee feels 100% (if it ever does)! Good to know you like it!
    And wow, an 18 miler already does seem like a lot! But, March is coming pretty quickly.
    My husband has been a HUGE Broncos fan for years now so was a bit disappointed!
    Abby @ Change of Pace recently posted..Some of my favourite vegan recipesMy Profile

i like your crossfit plan. there is a groupon right now for one of the boxes in atlanta and i’m debating on getting it for the same reason-don’t know how to squeeze it all in. and the saints didn’t make it to the playoffs but i will cheer for the falcons!

These are the full-service companies providing a wide range
    of metal services such as Electropolishing Services, Passivation of Stainless Steel Alloys
    and Nickel Alloys, Oxygen Cleaning Services, Aqueous Cleaning & Degreasing Services, Passivation & Cleaning for Oxygen Mobile Services, Consulting &
    Project Management Services, Mechanical Finishing Services and Custom Metal Fabrication.
    Although it might be tempting to just use a tablecloth that is too long or too wide, an incorrectly sized tablecloth can ruin the look of your finished table.

Northen Industrial fiberglass fans housings are manufactured from premium grade, fire resistant resins that provide excellent corrosion resistance in most chemical environments.
    E-Coating recently posted..E-CoatingMy Profile