Making deposits

MLKcleanup 300x150 Making deposits

Heading out to do some stream clean up

I live in a county of privilege, one where it’s quite easy to let your kids slide into a world of entitlement if you’re not careful. One of my biggest goals as a parent is not to let that happen. One way I work on this is to get the kids involved in giving back and understanding the importance of contributing to the world through service and good deeds.

Martin Luther King Day, of course, offers an obvious opportunity for this. Last year I got tired of the day being nothing more than a day home from school for the kids, so I started looking around for projects in which to get involved. None was a particularly good match, so when my neighbor suggested a stream clean up, we were on board. A bunch of moms and kids headed out to the stream behind our neighborhood and loaded up our garbage bags.I think it’s a great fit for the kids–they play out there regularly and it’s an easy way to see the impact they are making. Today we’re at it again.

It’s our little way of making a deposit in this world. My hope is that this deposit does some good for the local environment while teaching my kids the lessons of doing their part.

Running is all about making deposits, too. You put your training time in–the deposits–and you get the payoff of better running and a healthier life as a result. The more you put in, the more you get out.

Two vastly different types of deposit making, but both worth the effort, in my opinion. How are you making deposits today?

Comments

I love this idea! My kids have been great about learning and being grateful for why they have off school today. They really do appreciate the history lesson but it does become just another day off school when they stay home and play with their friends. Now I’m motivated to make them do something kind.

Running wise I have a speed workout today…making a deposit in the training area that scares me the most :). Enjoy your day!
    Kris @ http://www.Kris-Lawrence.com recently posted..Groovy RepeatsMy Profile

Awww, nice idea! MLK is one of my favorite “heroes”. I grew up in a very diverse community (military) and have so many friends who really feel the same – that today should be meaningful in remembrance. I also now live in a community of privilege compared to other parts of this area. It is hard to have kids understand in these communities what some of the rest of the world lives like or struggles with or fights for. I always try to have those discussions with my own child. Enjoy today and have a good run – and I agree about “deposits” for running. :) (We’re celebrating the day with going to the dentist among other things *sigh*)
    Christina recently posted..New running shoes and post-run dark chocolateMy Profile

What a great idea! We are deep into a used book donation project here with the Girl Scouts. I love how passionate kids get about doing good things!

This is an awesome idea! I am glad that you took the opportunity to celebrate MLK by giving back and fostering community. Today I am taking my boys to the museum to learn more about civil rights, community, and explore different cultures. Over the weekend we did our volunteer service.

Very awesome. I actually have a huge bag of gently used clothes in my car that are going to Goodwill this afternoon. And on the fitness front – it’s cross training day (my deposit) for staying injury free (results).;)
    beka @ rebecca roams recently posted..A Second LoveMy Profile

It’s so worth while that you engage your kids in a project like taking care of the environment. After all, it’s their future and such a valuable lesson learned. Not to mention that getting out in the fresh air, puttiing energy into something valuable like sustaining our streams, rivers, woods is a lot more mentally and physically healthy than sitting infront of a computer or tv playing games. Good for you guys.
    Joanne recently posted..Like New Workout Clothes? Like PVBodyMy Profile

What a great idea! I can’t wait to do more hands on activities with L… although she’s getting it on some level. We had leftover eggs after breakfast this morning, and she thought we should pack them up and give them to kids that don’t have enough to eat. :) Enjoy your service day! Maybe we can figure out something to do over here, too…
    Laura @ Mommy Run Fast recently posted..Marathon Recovery RecapMy Profile

That is so awesome that you are teaching your kids that it’s more than just a day off. I try to something as well. This year, it’s about dreams and how much work and time they take to achieve. I have my kids put their dreams in a box and when they whine and cry about what they have to do, I pull the box out and go over the ultimate goal. They are still pretty young to understand, but my hope is that someday they will remember my words.
    LisaM@RunWiki recently posted..Strawberry Napoleon with #SilkAlmond Pastry CreamMy Profile

What a great idea!!! I’m constantly looking for ways to teach my boys that giving back or doing for others is the most rewarding choice they can make!
    My running deposits are on the slow side right now – trying to gradually increase them!!!
    Kim recently posted..Sometimes People Baffle Me!My Profile

I love this and how you and your family are making deposits. That’s such a great way to look at it. We haven’t done anything with our boys yet although I think that J is getting to the age where he gets it and understands more. We were in the park the other day and they were mulching all the Christmas trees. They have volunteers bagging the mulch and he very much wanted to volunteer right then and there. I don’t know if it was for the “helping” aspect more or the getting dirty very quickly aspect :-) I hope that you had a great day!
    Christine @ Love, Life, Surf recently posted..Are you ready to test your limits?My Profile

What a great idea to get your kids involved and teach them about giving back to their community. You are an awesome Mom!

I also say that I banked a good workout or put “x” amount of miles in my running bank. I actually used to give myself $1 for every mile I ran, but then that got expensive!
    Tasha @ Healthy Diva recently posted..Week 4: Milestones & Christmas!My Profile

12. Terzah says

I’m catching up on blogs!

Since Monday was my birthday, I had a running party, but in lieu of gifts I asked people to bring either canned goods or a monetary donation to Boulder County’s Emergency Family Assistance Association. I have generous friends! There’s a giant box in car ready to be driven over there.

Trackbacks