Let’s get this party started

Happy new year, everyone!  Today marks one month since my last marathon, which means one month of easy, unscheduled runs. I promised myself after CIM that I would use this month to run when I felt like it, run as far as I wanted, and run as easy as I wanted. I also promised myself that I’d take the full month to really determine what I wanted to do race wise for 2013.

IMG 2097 224x300 Lets get this party started

I’ll be using my CIM base as a starting point for Lower Potomac

The first two weeks I didn’t even give the coming year’s race schedule a thought. Then I started mulling options over, but even then, didn’t allow myself to pull any triggers. It really wasn’t until the final week of the year that I started weighing what I really wanted from my year. After lots of consideration, I’ve decided to go for a March marathon, the Lower Potomac River Marathon, right here in Maryland, to be exact. What’s that? You’ve never heard of this one? You and the rest of the world–it’s small, almost miniscule. Two hundred runners small, to be exact, but it gets good reviews.

I know this isn’t most people’s cup of tea. I had the option of the DC Rock-n-Roll Marathon one week later, but given a choice of big vs. small, I’ll go small any day. My first marathon, one of my all-time favorites, was the NCR Trail marathon north of Baltimore with only 300 people. I tend to be an associative runner, rather than someone who likes to disassociate with bells and whistles, so I think I’ll be just fine with this one. I chose it for the timing also–March 10–which hopefully won’t have too good a chance of being hot yet in these parts.

Doing a marathon so close to my last one is something entirely new to me. But that’s another reason for choosing this one. I think I can pretty much launch right into marathon training, using my base from December’s marathon as a starting point. Another new thing for me is that I’ll have Coach Jeff Gaudette guiding my training. I’m excited to see what we can put together.

All of this feels right and good, and I’m ready to move forward.

Who else is spring marathoning? Ever run a marathon this small?

Comments

That marathon sounds awesome for you! And, having a (really good) coach help guide your training sounds great, too!
    I ran one spring marathon a few years ago. It wasn’t ideal with all the winter running I had to do, but I think it made me fairly strong.
    Good luck with your training, and happy new year!
    Abby @ Change of Pace recently posted..2013 resolutionsMy Profile

Our running season doesn’t really start until May but I’m contemplating running the hypothermic half at the end of February. Not for time, but for fun. As much as I want to run every race strong, I need to remember that running is fun and that if it’s not fun, I won’t want to do it.

I actually prefer bigger races because I’m still self-conscious about my (lack of) speed and bigger races put me in the middle of the pack :)
    Steph @fitmomtraining recently posted..My 6×6 Goals and PlanMy Profile

Sounds like a perfect choice of marathon for you!

I just blogged about trying to pick a half for March – still undecided except I’m probably passing on RnR DC this year.

Can’t wait to see what you and your coach put together! Happy New Year!
    Michelle @ Running with Attitude recently posted..Are you ready?My Profile

Here in Florida is can be challenging to find a full marathon with optimum weather! I’m gunning to run my FIRST full this October at MCM! I can’ twait! So inspired by those of you who are already training for that awesome distance! FFA <3
    Kat recently posted..Take me to Sugar Rehab!My Profile

Cool a coach! That’s great. Doing a marathon close to CIM doesn’t sound like a horrible idea. I wish I could but I think my next marathon might have to be in the fall. Oh well. Such is life looking forward to building speed and maintaining long runs to 13 miles. That’s the plan anyway…Happy 2013!
    Fueled by Spite recently posted..NewtownMy Profile

That’s exciting! I am waiting until a few weeks post-marathon to sort out my upcoming big races, too. Sounds like a good race- I love anything local, large or small. It’s so nice when travel is not involved. But for the marathon distance, I definitely prefer a few more people to keep me entertained and distracted at the end!
    Laura @ Mommy Run Fast recently posted..New Year’s WIAW + Avocado Tuna SaladMy Profile

I agree with you on the smaller races. I think that I like them better too. I signed up for a May marathon here in Spokane and it is also pretty small. I think less than 500 marathon participants. It might even be closer to the 300 range. I am looking forward to being able to sleep in my own bed the night before the race. It will be my first marathon where I haven’t traveled anywhere. I could get used to it!
    Tasha @ Healthy Diva recently posted..Recap of 2012 goals and goals for 2013My Profile

I still can’t decide what I want to do this year. I am really, really enjoying being lazy so I better get going on something before this becomes a new way of living. Being lazy can’t support my cupcake habit ;-)
    Missy recently posted..My Top 8 PostsMy Profile

That sounds like a great race and a great choice. I’m glad that you had the month of December to just run and enjoy it. I’m excited for you!! I decided that I do want to run a half this year (since I was supposed to do it last year but alas). Now it’s time to pick a race! I’d love any suggestions for a late spring race :-)
    Christine @ Love, Life, Surf recently posted..Jumpstarting the New YearMy Profile

I love, love, love smaller races. I enjoy the big ones too – but the small quiet ones are great. :) Probably because I am used to running by myself on quiet Wyoming roads. :) And awesome that you are working with Jeff!! Congrats! I am very excited for you. Hugs and happy new year my friend!

I almost signed up for LPRM, but decided on Shamrock, which for the marathon, is in the middle for size at about 2-3k. No way I’d do RnR DC, having already run it twice when it was the smaller National Marathon. I did B&A last year (about 300 for the marathon) and while I enjoyed it, wanted something with a little more people. I go back and forth between small and moderate sized races. Love supporting the small ones, but also love being able to run with others during the race. I’m sure LPRM will be a great race. I’d like to do it one of these years.
    LesserisMore recently posted..2013 Spring Racing PlansMy Profile

exciting!!!

I love smaller races but the big ones tend to be super motivating for me! Yesterday’s race was around 1500 participants and that was PERFECT!!!

That’s a great feeling when you make your decision and register :) I’ve got Maine Coast Marathon I’m training for in May.

This past October, I was one of 220 who completed the Green Mountain Marathon up in Vermont. I’ve also run Boston & Disney, but am actually very OK with the smaller races.
    Lisa recently posted..Happy New Year – couch style!My Profile

ME TOO! I am planning on Running Marathon #2 the first weekend of May! I think the weather will be ideal for training. I have already started logging my snowy miles! I am hoping the extra resistance training will help :)

I am excited to start 2013! You are gonna rock your marathon girlie!
    Krysten recently posted..Resolutions, Rehashing, and RacingMy Profile

I’ve never heard of that marathon before! I much prefer smaller races but there are definitely a few larger ones that I will deal with the crowds to do!!
    I think that doing marathons close together can definitely be beneficial – especially if you were smart about the recovery and rest period like you were.
    Michele @ Nycrunningmama recently posted..#Lucky13 Fitness GoalsMy Profile

I love smaller races! I do a lot of trail runs, where the field is only about 200 – 500 and they are my favorites! Good luck with your marathon; I will be running Boston this year and am really looking forward to it!
    Travel Spot recently posted..The Last HalfMy Profile