I did sign on for this

IMG 2156 300x225 I did sign on for thisAnyone who knows me knows I loathe winter. I don’t like the cold, the wind, the snow–anything about it. I am being completely honest when I say I’d be content to never see snow again as long as I live.

Any year that I sign up for a spring marathon, then, I question my choice. Because the long runs need to be run, the speedwork has to be accomplished, and sleeping in is not an option, even if it is below freezing and there’s snow on the ground. This week, there’s been a bit of both. The temperatures have hovered just below freezing for the highs this week (first time in about six years that has happened here). The morning temperatures have been in the teens, with wind chills in the single digits. On Thursday, we got a half inch or so of snow.

I could hit the treadmill, I know, to avoid these conditions, and I certainly don’t fault anyone for making that choice. But I despise it so much that I still get outside. I won’t pretend that I’ve enjoyed all my runs in these frigid conditions this week. I haven’t. And I’ve been grumpy all week. I truly cannot wait for the cold snap to break. But….

I did sign up for this. Nobody made me put a March marathon on my calendar. I have to remember this and suck it up. In the end, I still never regret going for a run. If I weren’t getting outside in the midst of this weather? We all probably don’t want to know what that would look like!

How are you getting through your winter runs? Treadmill or roads?

Comments

Luckily our winters aren’t too bad in Seattle but that hasn’t stopped me from complaining about it when it has been cold. I refuse to run on a treadmill so I run outside in the cold, wet, darkness
    Amanda recently posted..Running When SickMy Profile

We’ve gotten so so lucky here in Portland. Most of my runs have been off the treadmill and outside but sometimes I just can’t do it with little kids so the treadmill is still part of my runs. Getting outside can be hard when it is pouring rain but even then I’d say I’d rather be outside at this point. yay for March marathons!

This year, I’m cheating by spending my “winter” in the tropics. But I lived in Rochester, NY for 7 winters, so I did my share of icky-weather-running. My top tricks were:

1. Don’t think about it (this is very related to not worrying about your hard workouts in advance), just go.

2. Go at the warmest possible time of day that your schedule allows.

3. Wear the right stuff – and if you’re worried you didn’t get your clothing just right, run shorter loops that circle back past your house. When I first started doing this, I thought it would be boring. But I actually didn’t mind, and it gave me the chance to add/subtract clothes as necessary. [You could even put a whole selection on your porch or in your mudroom, so they’re easy to access!]

4. Run with friends – although as your previous post noted, this may not always be right for your scheduled workout. :)

I would, however, head indoors to the track or treadmill if I didn’t think it was safe (too slippery or too cold) for my faster-paced workouts, like faster tempos or intervals.

Good luck, stay warm – and remember, this won’t last forever! :)
    Holly KN recently posted..Green Corridor Run = Massive ExcitementMy Profile

I’m feeling the same way right about now. I think the past few years have made us all forget what normal winters are like. I’m kind of jealous of your temps though…we’ve got single digits or negative low temps right now! I’m praying this will be over very, very soon.
    Angela @ Happy Fit Mama recently posted..I’m Back!My Profile

You should move to me here in Africa. Snow is very very rare…I’ve seen snow 5 times in my life. Here in Johannesburg our winters are cold but dry. Our rain season is summer. I run outdoors throughout the year. Good luck, spring is not that far away!
    Johann recently posted..Two This TuesdayMy Profile

We got a little more than you on this side of 95, but I’m so afraid of cars on the icy roads that I don’t really want to run outside. I saw 3 accidents on 32 on my way to HCC yesterday. If I had been smart, I would have taken my running clothes and done a mile or so around the campus there since their sidewalks and trails were wonderfully cleared.
    Alyssa K recently posted..GOTR 5K and a running breakMy Profile

I don’t mind cold or snow, but once the temps or wind chills get in the single digits, I don’t do runs outside that are more than 30:00 minutes – safety first. I prefer the outside but have found that I am dare I say it – enjoying the treadmill a couple of times a week to run faster than I would otherwise. However 3 times is about all I can stand, I still prefer to my butt outside and enjoy nature.
    Harold recently posted..A Veteran Runnah Blog SiteMy Profile

I wouldn’t want this weather all the time, but I have found it invigorating. I enjoyed the confidence of “yep, I’m going to run when it’s 10 degrees out too” and the disapproving/shock-and-awe looks of drivers passing by on their way to drive (and sit in the car) with their kids at the bus stops. I loved making the first footprints in the snow early yesterday morning. Mmmm … yes, Loving it this week. And, equally excited to see 55 as a high for next week.
    Mara @Big Happy Family recently posted..Wonderful worldMy Profile

ohmygoodness it’s been so cold this week. I’ve barely made it through walking the kids to school and back home before I turn into an icicle!! So impressed with you and getting out there for a run. But you’re right – I never regret it in the end. But seriously, I need warm weather stat!
    Christine @ Love, Life, Surf recently posted..Friday Round-Up: TGIFMy Profile

I honestly love running in the winter but usually only for long and easy runs. I find it really hard to do speed work when its snowy out so for those types of runs I usually go to the treadmill. I tend to take it on a day by day basis. I try to get outside for most of my runs because I do love the cold winter air!
    J recently posted..Oh my shoe!My Profile

Winter running is the worst! I went home to Chicago for 2 weeks and wanted to die..it was so stinking cold! Granted, I went from 70 to 15 degrees, but I could hardly make it on my 5 mile runs. It makes me grateful I live somewhere where I can run in shorts and a tshirt most of the year.
    Sheil recently posted..True Confession Thursday: The Waiting PlaceMy Profile

That is cold! I guess the bright side is if it hasn’t happened in six years hopefully it won’t happen again for at least that long!
    I’m definitely an outside runner- despite cold, windchills, snow, and ice. I actually ran on the treadmill this week and, surprisingly, didn’t mind it too much. However, once you’re out in the cold it’s never as bad as you think, provided you’re dressed for it.
    Hang in there!
    Abby @ Change of Pace recently posted..Banishing boredom and taking my own adviceMy Profile

So glad to hear I’m not alone going through this winter running frustration. It really gets to ya. I ran on the treadmill this week and hated it. But my hands just won’t tolerate single digits or in our case, sub zero temps. Wind I can’t stand but if it’s in the 20’s or 30’s it’s doable. Snow – another bummer. Snow can change my running gait and it’s not uncommon to get back from a run and have my hips and hamstring hurt. In that instance, there is regret and I probably should have run on that dreaded machine.
    Joanne recently posted..Cut the Sugar and Apple Fruit ChewiesMy Profile

I hate winter, too. I never run a spring marathon as well as I do a fall one. For a fall marathon, you train all summer in super hot crap then come your marathon, the weather drastically changes and cools off and I run so much faster. Well….that’s IF the weather cooperates. You never know what race day will bring, but so far my luck’s been good. Wind is my nemesis….Colorado’s January seems a lot more like March this year – ugh.
    Jill recently posted..2013: Learning PatienceMy Profile

15. Terzah says

I will run outside unless it’s truly bitter and/or icy on dark mornings. Then I’ll do the treadmill. But I kinda like winter–it’s running in the heat that I can’t stand, and it’s lucky for me I live in a non-humid place. I feel about summer humidity the way you do about snow. If I never experienced it again, I’d be ecstatic. Too bad for me I was born in the global warming era….

This is one of the first winters in a long time where I have just opted for the TM. It has been a couple of weeks since I have been able to run outside. The weather has just been awful and the road are super slick and covered with snow/ice. I could wear yak trax, but they really bother me so the TM it is. I can’t stress how much I am excited for spring. If I never had to see snow again I would also be very thankful!
    Tasha @ Healthy Diva recently posted..Friday Favorites: Race-Cations!!!!!My Profile

I’m blessed with mild winters being in FL, but running in the cold for us is anything below 45! It is refreshing at that point, but anything much colder than that you won’t catch me anywhere but on a treadmill. No matter how many boring miles I have to log on it and how many crazy intervals I come up with to make them go by. There aren’t enough layers of clothes possible for my blood to be prepared for 20s. I’d look like ralphie’s little brother in a christmas story! ;)
    beka @ rebecca roams recently posted..Playlist Thursday – Rock It OutMy Profile

Same here! I would not be sad if it never snowed again! I am making it through my cold, chilly runs but they feel so much slower and my body never really feels like it warms up (not temp-wise) but my joints and muscle just feel stiff and contracted – if that makes sense.

Give me 90 degrees ANY DAY over 18 degrees – like this morning! :)
    Jessica Karazsia (@irun26at8) recently posted..Race Recap: Frostbite 15kMy Profile

Until last week I was running outside exclusively, but now that it’s -44 C (-47F) with the windchill I’m indoors on the treadmill. I like my face and don’t want to severely alter it from frostbite. It’s just not worth it. But it’s supposed to warm up this weekend so hopefully I can get out for my long run without carrying a portable heater with me! LOL
    Leslie recently posted..My Weekend AwayMy Profile

Little bit of both. Trying to do my long runs outside and at least 1-2 other runs. I have to run when it’s dark (and alone) so if there is a chance there is black ice, I’ll run inside. Having the 2 options allows neither to become old…I run on the treadmill for a few days – I actually start looking forward to a freezing cold run! =)
    Michele @ Nycrunningmama recently posted..Helpful DistractionMy Profile

I hear you! When I signed up for my late April marathon (Carmel Marathon), I knew I’d have January and February and dicey conditions to deal with. I was really bummed today when I had the 10 miles on the schedule and at the same moment we were having a snow dump. :( I have a love hate with the treadmill. I love that I don’t have to find childcare options with it if I need to run during school vacations, etc. I don’t love that it is monotonous. I do love that it gives me hill-training since I live in such a flat area, but I hate that it doesn’t fully mimic the road. *sigh* You are strong and this weather will melt and we’ll get some clear roads again soon, in time for that March marathon :)
    Christina recently posted..RRCA coach certification and a half marathon on the scheduleMy Profile

I hate the cold, and as much as I hate the treadmill when the weather is like this I usually hit the treadmill. Fortunately or Unfortunately for me I ma still recovering from pneumonia so running is out of the question for the next week or two, I am hoping it will warm up!!! Good luck on your training!!!
    Toni Church recently posted..Working out at Work #RealHealthMy Profile

On our 13 miler Sunday when it was a balmy 27 degrees, my running partner mentioned how she hates winter training and prefers fall marathons. I agreed with the first part, but reminded her how much 20 milers when it’s 90 degrees and 90 percent humidity are a major suckfest. She concurred, and we started enjoying the weather more!
    Alison @ racingtales recently posted..How to Find the Perfect Training PartnerMy Profile