What’s on your shoe?

first live MSP pics 224x300 Whats on your shoe?Ok, anyone who knows me as a runner knows that I am a low-tech kind of gal. But I can certainly appreciate technology that enhances running, and when I come across technology that’s as simple as it is smart, then I am impressed.

I was quite impressed recently when local runner Jason Kaplan introduced his very cool new product to me, the MilestonePod. It really is the perfect marriage of technology and simplicity.

What is the MilestonePod? It’s a small device that you attach onto your running shoe. What’s it do? Seamlessly tracks your shoes’ mileage so that you know when it’s time to toss them (the recommended range is between 400 and 600 miles). And? It allows you to store all your emergency information as well. Like I said, simple, but valuably so. The price point? $15 via Indiegogo.

Let’s talk about the hows and whys of a device like this. According to Jason and his team, when you get a MilestonePod, you simply connect the USB-enabled device to register the Pod and input your health information. Then clip the Pod to your shoe where it can remain for 100s of miles or until the shoe is replaced. The device just does its job; it passively tracks your mileage and constantly displays your progress. Because it is always connected to track mileage (and unlike your ID bracelet or anklet) you never have to remember to put on the Pod. You also have the option to reconnect the Pod to your computer to update or change your digital ID information.

Two pods 2012 300x200 Whats on your shoe?

Simple device/big returns

As great as the device is, however, the MilestonePod isn’t ready for purchase just yet. This is where you can come in and help support affordable, useful technology like this. The creators of the pod are counting on the grassroots efforts of runners to help get the device off the ground. Working through Indiegogo, the MilestonePod team is looking for investors to raise the $60,000 they need. Donate $15 and you get the pod come around May. The team has set up a variety of donation levels and packages that go with them to show their thanks for your support. Take a look and see if it’s not something that’s a good fit for you.

How often do you change your shoes? Do you typically run with an ID bracelet type product? What do you think of something like the MilestonePod?

Disclaimer: MilestonePod compensated me for this post. All opinions are my own.

Comments

1. MJ says

If I’m being proactive, about every 300 mi or so – if not, around 350 I start noticing pains and problems and check my mileage log only to find – hey, time to change shoes! Even w/ my custom orthotics, given my injury history and Masters status, I err on the early side of the window. I like tracking my mileage in my log, and I write the “start” date of each pair on the inner side of the shoe near where the pronation control color change is (wproof fine point sharpie works well) I have run with a RoadID on my shoes for years, and just recently upgraded to a RoadID Interactive bracelet that I wear 24/7. I wouldn’t change.

I love this idea. I love that it’s just a simple little thing that goes on your shoe. I never remember how many miles my shoes have – usually I just check the bottoms and/or wait until I don’t feel “right” when running. I don’t track mileage – just another thing that I have to remember to do then =)
    Michele @ Nycrunningmama recently posted..When do you throw in the towel?My Profile

3. C. Miller says

I think it would be great for tracking shoe mileage, but I would still wear a RoadID anklet or bracelet. Because in the unfortunate situation of an impact accident, shoes often come off. Emergency personnel may not think to look around for a shoe, but would likely notice an ID on your body. Just a thought.

• says

great comment about the benefits of tracking miles and the shoe issue with impact accidents. We spoke with Paramedics who did confirm that in many impact accidents shoes come off. They also said that they see very few impact accidents with runners (many with cyclists) but more non-impact issues. They also confirmed that most ambulances have USB enabled devices to read the Pod and all hospitals would be able to access the data.

Well, back when I was running in super cushiony Asics, I would change my shoes out every 300-400 miles. That would be 3-4 months for me. Then I switched to running in Nike Free’s which are much less of a shoe. My foot was able to adapt pretty quickly to a more minimal style and I’ve found that since I can run in those types of shoes with less cushion that I can make a shoe last longer. Sound crazy? I’m still running in a pair of Nike Free’s I had a year ago.
    Coy recently posted..Shopping, Stressing, Running, Swimming and CyclingMy Profile

Intersting idea. I use the Nike+ sportswatch which comes with a shoe sensor. When I upload the run I indicate what shoes I’m wearing and it tracks mileage there. This is a great idea though as the Nike+ does not record your safety information.
    Robin recently posted..Egg Nog Jog & PianoMy Profile

That is a fantastic idea! I especially like the safety feature since I forget my ID bracelet a lot. I usually track my shoe mileage through dailymile or my garmin account. I also have a garmin pod on my shoe so that I don’t have to wait for the satellites to be found before I start running. There are a lot of trees by my house and sometimes takes 10 + minutes to find a stupid satellite.
    Tasha @ Healthy Diva recently posted..#GoEagsMy Profile

This is a very good idea, as I will probably contribute to. As far as tracking mileage however, the online running log I subscribe to for free keeps track of your mileage on all of your shoes when you log a run. Allbeit, a device attached to each shoe you can just look at is ideal. For Trail Running esp, but all running, it would be neat if it also acted as a GPS so some one could track you incase of an accident, or in a trail or ultra marathon to show your location on the course.
    kenley jones recently posted..ALL SYSTEMS GOMy Profile

Nope. And here’s why – (1) my shoe mileage is already tracked on my training profile on BT (2) I think most serious runners have the sense to know when their shoes need replacing (3) in the event of an accident I want EMTs to have immediate, visible access to my info (i.e., Road ID) (4) my garmin tracks mileage and more. And lastly (5) – it looks like a colorful suppository. – sorry!
    Dianna on Maui recently posted..Remember When Running Was Simple?My Profile

Holy cow! Pure genius! I was just whining about how I lost track of the miles on my new shoes and now I’m all outta whack. I need a simple way to keep track without having to take the time to write it down. I love this idea!
    When you buy new shoes do you have to buy a new device or does it reset?
    I always wear my Road Id.
    Missy recently posted..Cider Turkey SoupMy Profile

I do accept as true with all the ideas you’ve presented in your post. They are very convincing and will definitely work. Still, the posts are too quick for starters. Could you please prolong them a little from subsequent time? Thank you for the post.
    Nike Free Run recently posted..Nike Free RunMy Profile

Anyone primarily help to generate significantly articles We would declare. This can be the very first time We been to your internet page and therefore considerably? I amazed together with the exploration you have made to create this actual submit amazing. Exceptional activity!

Trackbacks