Tell me about your 2012

IMG 2124 225x300 Tell me about your 2012

Talk to me, people!

It’s year’s end and if you’re like me, you’re taking stock of the year on many levels. Because this is a running blog, however, I want to hear about your year of running. I did something similar last year and it was a ton of fun, so let’s go for it again.

I want you to answer the following questions about your 2012 year of running. Do it here, do it on your blog, do it anywhere, just, as they say, do it. I’ll post the questions, along with my answers, to get you started. Then fill in the blanks!

• Best race experience? Wow. This is tough because I can’t say I had a great year of racing. But, I probably had the most fun with my first of two triathlons this season. It was great to get back to it.
  • Best run? I’m going to have to go with the 21 miler on snowy, muddy trails last February. I think I laughed more that day than I have all year!
  • Best new piece of gear? I’m going to have to go with my Oiselle Rundelicious top. Love the fit, love the color, love the zipper pocket!
  • Best piece of running advice you received? To give glycogen depletion runs a try. Something new and experimental for me, in spite of my bonk at CIM.
  • Most inspirational runner? This is a tough one because there are so many, both on a personal and a virtual level, but I’m going to go with Harmony from Keep on Keeping On, who has had one tough year thrown at her and yet handles it with class on a daily basis.
  • If you could sum up your year in a couple of words, what would they be? Out of the box.

Now it’s your turn!

Comments

I’ve had possibly one of the worst years of my life – poor health, my son caught in a fire and assaulted (two separate events), not much running and only two events. But I’m finishing the year well – health on the improve and running getting better. 2013 is going to be great.
    Char recently posted..Just Call Me CrazyMy Profile

2. Corey says

Best race experience? Definitely last weekend at Rehoboth, spending the weekend with the best girlfriends ever, being “coached” through the last 9 miles by a brand-new friend (formerly total stranger) to a 15-minute PR and first BQ. Wish I had my own blog to tell the story–it’s phenomenal.
    Best run? It would be easy to say Rehoboth because of the outcome (see first question), but a chilly long run on the C&O towpath with my BRF is really it.
    Best new piece of gear? Not so new, but my Athleta jackets that allow me to brave the colder temps.
    Best piece of running advice you received? Your body is stronger than your mind; get out of your head.
    Most inspirational runner? Even though I don’t know her, probably Ali on the Run for not only keeping her humor through the downs, but sharing it with everyone.
    If you could sum up your year in a couple of words, what would they be? PR City!!!

Best race experince – Either Giant Eagle Olympic that was a 14 minute PR or my first 70.3 at Rev3 Cedar Point
    Best run – Bwhahahahaha
    New Gear – Timex Global Trainer (sidenote, I learned how to correctly use and analyze HR zones)
    Best Advice – Consistency, Consistency, Consistency is the only true way to improve
    Inspirational Runner – Harriet Anderson, finished Kona for the 23rd straight year at 16:59 and was the last finisher this year, she is freaking awesome
    Sum up my year – Stupid for doing 20 races, but thankful I was healthy and strong enough to complete them all
    Scott recently posted..Annoying People You Can’t Avoid At Gym, Part 2My Profile

Best Race Experience: Finishing the Grandfather Mountain Marathon. Incredibly tough course, and I ran it faster than than I thought I would.
    Best Run: Running 86 miles at Hinson Lake 24 Hour Run, The support and volunteers are amazing!
    Best New Piece of Gear: My Pro Compression Socks!
    Best Advice received: Stay in the moment.
    Most Inspirational Runner: Mike Morton. he won Badwater 135, set American 24 hour distance record with 172 + miles in 24 hours and is a super nice guy!
    Sum up year in a few words: Ultra Crazy!
    Gene recently posted..ShowerPill GiveAway!My Profile

Best race experience was Ironman Lake Placid, hands down. Best run was the NYC Half because I did it with two great friends. This year has been about painful endings and exciting new beginnings. My run group are my most inspirational runners.
    Mari recently posted..Motivations and InspirationsMy Profile

Great post idea Amanda!
    Here are some of my answers:

Best race experience? The Jingle Bell 5K I ran last weekend just because I feel like I am finally making headway and recovering from compartment syndrome

Best run? My last 24 miler before the Eugene Marathon was epic. I finished it in 3:03

Best new piece of gear? I my new Lululemon scuba hoodie even though I would never run in it

Best piece of running advice you received?Never, ever give up. Even when going through a tough injury stay as positive as possible. It will get better. Baby steps may seem worthless, but they really work.

Most inspirational runner? Tough question! I would have to say Desi because she is talented, but incredibly sincere and down to earth.

If you could sum up your year in a couple of words, what would they be?Not what I expected!
    Tasha @ Healthy Diva recently posted..A so-so week, a craptastic 9 miler & WINNINGMy Profile

7. Holly says

This is a great idea! I will then copy + paste into my journal :)

Best race experience: A half marathon in May. It was one of those races where everything came together.
    Best run: A 10 mile trail run. At that point I hadn’t run that far on a trail and I was so proud of myself.
    Best new piece of gear: A small handheld water bottle
    Best advice: Try out minimalist shoes (you might have mentioned it a time or two….)
    Most inspirational runner: those who ran Boston this year
    Sum up year: Working on form + minimalist shoes have paid off (After last year’s sum up of “Injuries 2011″)

Now remember, this is coming from a non-runner over here: Best run was 7 miles. And I also learned to enjoy speed intervals VERY much. I stopped running when the weather cooled off, but since breaking my toe last month and not being able to do any kind of real cardio, I’ve seriously been craving the run. I don’t know when I’ll be able to wear a pair of sneakers of again. Only shoe I can wear without my foot hurting is Uggs. I wish they made Ugg Sneakers or something. That is my 2012!! :)
    Yum Yucky recently posted..We Wish You A Greedy Christmas!My Profile

I remember you doing this last year! LOVE the idea =)
    Best race experience? I only ran two so I would have to saw the RW 10k – felt SO good to be out “racing” again postpartum
    Best run? 10 mile run at 38 weeks pregnant. Had NO intentions of ever running that far – but felt great so kept running. =)
    Best new piece of gear? Saucony Guide 5’s – LOVE them!
    Best piece of running advice you received? To go slow on easy days. I am always trying to run faster than the day before even though I know that it’s not smart to do!
    Most inspirational runner? My best friend, Pamela, who dropped almost an HOUR off her marathon PR. Unreal! =)
    If you could sum up your year in a couple of words, what would they be?
    Michele @ Nycrunningmama recently posted..Race for Recovery ResultsMy Profile

Best race experience: Picking up four gold medals on the track (200m, 400m, 800m and 1500m) all at the same T&F meeting in September, and all within the space of three hours.
    Best Run: A 7 mile Trail race with around 750ft of ascent a month after my 80th birthday. I felt to be flying over the last two miles finishing 165th of 219 and picking up my first ever prize as an MV80. A good start to my new category.
    Best piece of gear: A blue OMM Kamleika smock, windproof and waterproof, which keeps me snug and dry when the weather turns rough.
    Best piece of running advice received: To stop fretting about my slower race times and just be the best I can for as long as I can.
    Most inspirational runner: It’s gotta be Antony Krupicka. Whenever I’m lacking in motivation I turn to his Blog ‘Riding the Wind’ and guarantee it wont be long before I’m out of the house and plodding over the hills. He’s my mentor – though he doesn’t know it!
    Sum up my year in two words: Maturing well!
    Gordon recently posted..Dancing on ice…..My Profile

Great idea – I remember last years post too.

best race experience and best run – Eugene 10K that I did 2 weeks ago, I finally felt like a runner again

best piece of gear – I upgraded to the garmin 405 (was using the 305), and I like the new one

best piece of advice – that cross training really does complement your running since it trains different muscles that running doesn’t target

inspirational runner – seeing Meb at the Olympic marathon start off slow, but gradually keep picking off runners to finish in 4th place. Amazing performance.

Sum up year – gradual comeback to running, but I still need to work on cross training
    Nelly recently posted..Eugene, Stanford-Oregon, 10K race recapMy Profile

12. Sonia says

New to running…ran my first half marathon, RunDisney!!
    Best new piece of equipment…my iphone armband….I did say I’m new to this, right?
    Best piece of advice…cross train!!
    Most inspirational runner…my friend Denise.
    This has been my best year yet in many, many years…on so many different levels.

Best part is knowing that my body still works, and still runs, and that no age is to old to start running half marathons! Excited to be a positive role model to my kids.

What fun!
    1. Best race experience: Airforce Marathon. I was so relaxed and everything about the race was amazing.
    2. Best run: The Catherine Valley Half Marathon through wooded trails. Ted rode his bike along side almost the entire way. A small town race with big support and tons of fun. It felt like an easy run but a good pace for me.
    3. Best new piece of gear: About the only new gear this year was my Garmin 610.
    4. Best Running Advice Received: I asked the folks at McMillain running if those 3 to 4 mile recovery runs were worth it or tradeable for walks with my dogs. Here is the response: “It’s important to remember that training for a marathon is about more than just the long run. All of the miles you do add up to give you the strength to complete the entire 26.2 miles. So just because you’re not hitting that 20 mark all the time doesn’t mean you won’t be ready. Plus, we really try to build up toward the goal race (Boston in this case) so we don’t want you to be too fit too early if that makes sense. We want you to be at your absolute best in April”
    5. Most inspirational runner: I have quite a few that I turn to depending on the situation. Can’t pin-point just one.
    6. Sum up the year in a couple of words: More than a couple but…. Did what I never thought I could.
    Joanne recently posted..Conquer Yourself and Bob’s Red Mill MuesliMy Profile

Great idea!

Best Race Experience? The local River Run 10K. A new PR for me, beautiful weather and I smiled the whole race.

Best Run? Same as above. I’m 7 months pregnant and haven’t had the easiest running experiences lately!

Best new piece of gear? My clip light for my hat. I love how light it is and it helps so much for the early morning runs.

Best piece of running advice? It’s o.k. to slow down. I slowed down considerably during this pregnancy and it was hard to get used to the new pace.

Most Inspirational Runner? I have to pick all of the Olympic Runners this year. It was so inspirational watching the running events but I think my favorites were Shalane and Kara.

If you could sum up your year in a couple of words, what would they be? Many ups and downs.

Best race experience–Pumpkinman Triathlon because I couldn’t believe how well I did and Runner’s World Half because I had so much fun with all the bloggers and loved running in Bethlehem.

Best run–My first training run on the Boston course. It was so amazing to know that I was finally training for Boston.

Best new piece of gear–My bike. I am still figuring out biking but am so thankful for such an awesome bike.

Best running advice–Stop running so much. My body is thanking me and my times are dropping.

Most inspirational runner–So many to name but running with you was an honor because you are an inspiration to many of us online.

Sum up my year–So many new experiences and so much fun.
    Robin recently posted..Running Cures StressMy Profile

Best race experience? I have to pick one of my tris and I think I’ll go with my first because it was so much fun and let me enter a whole new world of racing.

Best run? In Maine – running to Nubble Point Lighthouse

Best new piece of gear? wetsuit – a love/hate relationship

Best piece of running advice you received? run fewer days

Most inspirational runner? Super Kate who keeps pushing herself to try new hard things.

If you could sum up your year in a couple of words, what would they be? Out of the box.
    Andrea recently posted..TTT – The Bike Trainer EditionMy Profile

* Best race experience? I’d have to go with the 50 mile event — my first ever negative split on farthest distance? Tough to beat even if it took me 12 hours..
    * Best run? This one is tough. I struggle to remember a GREAT training run, but I know I had a fast run early on when I was testing out my Mizuno shoes. I looked at my watch after and saw a few low 7 min miles. That is way faster than my normal.
    * Best new piece of gear? I love my MPG hoodie with the thumb holes. I don’t run in it, but it is in constant rotation when I want to relax. So comfy.
    * Best piece of running advice you received? “To give glycogen depletion runs a try.” this one was from you… it’s in my list for 2013
    * Most inspirational runner? The wonderful Krysten of Darwinian Fail — anyone that finishes their first 26.2 is inspiring. Someone that overcomes what she has been through (and still goes through) is more than inspirational. I need to come up with a word.
    * If you could sum up your year in a couple of words, what would they be? Long and Healthy
    Pavement Runner recently posted..Playlist Thursday: Best Songs of 2012My Profile

Best race experience? I would say that Ironman Texas was the absolute best experience. My first Ironman and I’ll never forget it.
    Best run? I think my run at 70.3 Maine was my best run in a race but overall I did a 30 minute run at LT pace off of a 6 hour bike ride and ran a 7:21/mi pace for that 30 minutes.
    Best new piece of gear? Garmin 500 Bike Computer. It actually works.
    Best piece of running advice you received? Recover, Recover, Recover
    Most inspirational runner? Wow, that is tough. I think that Maria Simone of Running A Life is probably the most inspirational person.
    If you could sum up your year in a couple of words, what would they be? Very Long But Very Rewarding
    Jason @ Cook Train Eat Race recently posted..Cook Train Eat Race – Webisode 2 – Peanut Butter Oat CookiesMy Profile

It’s a shame you don’t have a donate button!

I’d definitely donate to this outstanding blog! I suppose for now i’ll settle for
    book-marking and adding your RSS feed to my Google account.

I look forward to fresh updates and will share this blog with my Facebook group.
    Talk soon!
    fuck chat recently posted..fuck chatMy Profile

We are a group of volunteers and opening a new scheme in our community.
    Your web site offered us with valuable info
    to work on. You have done a formidable job and our whole
    community will be thankful to you.
    website recently posted..websiteMy Profile

I really love your blog.. Pleasant colors & theme. Diid you build this website yourself?
    Please reply back as I’m wanting to create my very own site
    and want to know where you got this from or exactly what the theme is
    called. Thanks!
    web page recently posted..web pageMy Profile

Trackbacks

1. […] It’s the end of the year – a time for reflection, right? I’ve been thinking about my year on many different levels (more about that in another post) but my friend Miss Zippy invited us all to share our 2012 year of running. […]

2. […] Ms. Zippy asked us to tell her about our 2012.  As you know, it wasn’t a great year but here it is in a blog post: 1.  Best race experience? Freihofer’s Run for Women – I was recovering from a broken ankle and wasn’t supposed to run it.  At the last moment I decided to walk it but then when the gun went off, I started running & didn’t stop until I crossed the finish line with tears in my eyes. Runners World 5K – This was a destination race and I was visiting my best friend from high school who was waiting at the finish line. Again, I was injured with a stress fracture but determined to run the race anyway.  It was a really fun race and I hope to run it again (or even the 10K or the half) some day when I am healthy. 2.  Best run? […]

3. […] blogger peeps have been posting a survey about their running year.  It began with this post from Ms. Zippy who I follow closely and I wanted to do one earlier but life kept getting in the […]