Cyber Monday

Black Friday. Small-business Saturday. Great deals, yes, but soooo not for me. I loathe going out and shopping with the masses–there is no deal good enough to make it worth the aggravation in my mind. So Cyber Monday fits me to a T. I plan to knock off just about everything on my list today.

IMG 1351 300x224 Cyber MondayCyber Monday for me this year also means I’m less than a week away from running a marathon. No matter how many times I do it, running a marathon  always brings with it a sense of the surreal to me. I just cannot wrap my brain around the fact that I’ll be running 26.2, gunning for a PR, in a matter of days.

In addition to doing all the usual things in the final week of tapering–getting more sleep, cutting way back on the miles, eating the right things, trying not to get sick!--I often use the extra time to reflect on my training leading up to race day. This means focusing on what went well and what made me feel strong/confident. This time spent getting in the mental game is often the little extra I need to make it a good day. If I can believe, I can do.

For the most part, I’d say this training cycle went well. I’ve had few aches and pains. I didn’t miss any training. I came a bit late to the speedwork game this time through, but I think I’ve made up for that with some nice quality miles over the past six weeks.

So, I’ll take a bit of time today to cross some things off my holiday shopping list, but the next few days will be spent concentrating on rest and positive thinking. I’m looking forward to it.

How do you spend your time prepping for the big day? Anything other than the usual tapering habits?

Comments

I just cannot believe CIM is a week away…this year has flown by (of course, I say that every year – bleh!). I’m so excited for you and will be biting my nails waiting to hear all the details! Cyber Monday shopping will be a great release for the taper this week :).
    Jill recently posted..ChicagoMy Profile

I’m with you on the cyber-shopping. Why waste time traipsing around stores when you can be home resting with your feet up in front of the computer and a whole world of shops at your disposal. It’s awesome!
    Char recently posted..I Was RightMy Profile

Don’t do taper weeks very well… but I struggle even more with a recovery week, but with my ‘old’ body I know I need a couple of easy day or it might just fall apart!!!

Reeding the log book is always a good idea, so you can see if the training was really as good as you thought it was, and then plan how you are going to run the race… very few of us ever do enough training to go “balls to the wall” or in your case “tits to the tar”

So it’s plan, plan, plan.

Good luck
    Coach Dion recently posted..WINELANDS MARATHONMy Profile

Oh, the holiday shopping madness gives me anxiety – both going to the stores (I don’t unless it’s walking around the stores in my neighborhood) and seeing all the deals on FB, Twitter, email – buy this NOW!! I get talked into buying a lot of stuff, usually for me. hee hee. I can’t believe CIM is a week away! Enjoy this week. I love that you take the time to reflect.
    Christine @ Love, Life, Surf recently posted..Scenes from my weekend: Disney and ThanksgivingMy Profile

I usually make a packing list a week prior to the race and then spend the rest of the week checking it a million times to make sure I don’t forget anything. I also read a lot and usually throw in a massage. Just something to relax me and help me take my mind off of the “event”. When do you fly into SAC? I flew in Saturday morning last year and I really wished I would have just kept my Friday night flight. I was a little stressed, but thankfully my parents were there to help me calm myself down. If it is windy (SAC gets REALLY, REALLY windy) don’t panic. It comes and goes away fairly quickly. There was 50 mile an hour gusts when I landed and ZERO wind on race day. Of course a tailwind would have been nice! :-)
    Tasha @ Healthy Diva recently posted..Munching & Running: Turkey weekend funMy Profile

I am so excited for you. Marathon’s are always a big deal and you’re traveling across the country to get to yours.. ultra big deal. You have put in the work and now your day is approaching. I send you best wishes, good luck and some speedy legs next weekend. I will be cheering you on. “Wings out, head high” fly birdie. xoxo
    LisaM@RunWiki recently posted..Wordless WednesdayMy Profile

I know I can’t believe one week from today I’ll (you too I imagine) will be on a plane HOME from Sacramento. It sounds like you’ve had a pretty good training cycle. I mean those long, glycogen depleted runs were a first for you and you made it through, stronger I bet! Rest up and maybe get a facial or something silly.
    Hopefully see ya there!
    Fueled by Spite recently posted..Waters TestedMy Profile

I’m with you…taking time for rest, good eating and positive thinking! The positive thinking part has taken a little more effort. I know there are things I want to do differently next training cycle, but I feel good about this one anyway. I am a bit worried about the forecast though! If it’s raining what will you wear! I’ve run races in terrible weather, just not 26.2 miles in it!
    GreenGirlRunning recently posted..Time For Some RestMy Profile

CIM is my first marathon, so this is my first real taper. I only gave myself 2 weeks, which I think is more than enough for me. I think I’d go crazy with 3 weeks! Right now, I’m super excited, even though the weather forecast keeps alternating between rainy and cloudy. I’m making some mental checklists, which will be put down in some form soon. I’ll probably watch “Spirit of the Marathon” sometime this week to get myself in the zone. I’ll also be focusing on eating and sleeping well.

Enjoy this week and maybe I’ll see you at CIM. Either way, have a great race!
    Jen recently posted..Weekly training recap: CIM Week 16 (Taper Week 1)My Profile

I think you are going to do GREAT on Sunday! You’ve sounded really relaxed through all of the training, and are such a strong runner anyway. It’s going to be fun to meet you. I’ll be there starting Friday afternoon if you want to grab any bland food or just meet up.

I hate shopping too. Much rather do it online.
    Terzah recently posted..One Week to GoMy Profile

You are way ahead of me…I don’t even have a Christmas shopping list made yet! Yikes. I’m excited for you for your marathon this weekend. I’d say for me, any marathon training cycle I can get through and not be injured is a success! You are going to rock it in California.
    Beth @ Miles and Trials recently posted..Thankful for the WeekendMy Profile

Oh I am with you 100% on BF and Saturday…I wouldn’t brave those crowds if someone paid me!!!
    I’m SO SO SO excited for you…I loved following your training this cycle and am looking forward to seeing how the glycogen depleted runs work out!
    Will keep my fingers crossed that all germs stay away from you!
    Michele @ Nycrunningmama recently posted..How to Run Back to Back MarathonsMy Profile