California Dreamin’

Whew. Well at least a few of you are sticking around to read after I offended half the running world with yesterday’s post. Thank you.

winter 2010 054 225x300 California Dreamin

The last time I raced in California was a half marathon in 2010.

And so today’s topic is well, the topic you’re probably sick of by now, my marathon! (cue the clapping and cheering). I’m leaving on a jet plane today for California. Sunday, it appears, I’ll be running in pouring down rain for 26.2. Sounds like fun, no?

In all seriousness, though, as unpleasant as that might be, it beats the heat of Boston this year. By about 26.2 miles as far as I’m concerned. Rain, particularly cold rain, isn’t a ton of fun, but my body tolerates cold far better than heat.

So I’ll throw in some extra Body Glide and Aquaphor, layer up on the throwaway clothing, and don a garbage bag to the starting corral, all in the interest of staying as warm and dry as I can until the gun goes off. My suitcase will likely be bulging (as I type this at 2 p.m. on Thursday I have yet to begin packing).

Anyhow, the work is done and all that’s left to do is execute according to plan. I feel pretty confident that I can, too, which bodes well for race day. So wish me luck and see you on the other side!

Ever run a marathon or half marathon in the rain? Tips?

A footnote–I am doing one thing new this race (gasp!). I’ll let you know what and how it worked on Monday.

Comments

Ugh, the weather. I’m so not looking forward to it. I’m just crossing my fingers the wind isn’t too horrible. I think I will be okay with rain so long as it’s not blowing into my face. I’ll be checking back here to make note of the rain running tips.
    Laura recently posted..Holy crap, this is happeningMy Profile

Good Luck Amanda! I heard it was going to rain and was thinking of you. Running in the rain can be fun, but for 26.2 it obviously not the most ideal. You have an amazing attitude and are so tough.. you’re not going to let a little water stop you. Fly through the water like a Penguin #birdie :) go get em! xoxo
    LisaM@RunWiki recently posted..10 Holiday Gift Ideas for RunnersMy Profile

I love running in the rain! I once ran a 6 day circuit race in the rain. It never stopped raining the whole time. That got to all of us during the evenings sometimes. But other than that I love the rain during races. I just run as I always do and make sure I drink enough. Easy to forget how much you sweat even in the rain. So drink enough is my only tip really for this. Enjoy!
    Johann recently posted..Running LogsMy Profile

Take an Umbrella!!! (did that once for a 10km, I was running with my wife!)

Wear white cloths and cause a seen!

OK here is one, you shoes are going to get wet, so don’t worry about it and waste energy at the start of the run trying to keep them dry.

If the wind isn’t blowing it’s going to be fun.

Good Luck
    Coach Dion recently posted..WEEK 47My Profile

I’ve run two halves in pouring rain – one warm rain, one cold rain. For the cold one, I kept my windbreaker on the whole time even though I was soaked to the skin. It helped reflect the heat back to me and kept me warm.

Good luck!
    MCM Mama recently posted..Foodie Pen Pal RevealMy Profile

Best of luck! Never a marathon, but I did race an 8k a few wars back in slushy snow. There’s at have been at least 6 in of that slush everywhere that was coming down during the race too. My toes were numb, didn’t feel them the entire race. But it sure was a blast!
    Britt @ Chicago Rinner Girl recently posted..just for laughsMy Profile

The weather has been pretty kind to me for my races, so I don’t have any brilliant advice for you! Except to say that I like your packing style. :) I also went back to read yesterday’s post and people are just silly. I’m a self-proclaimed princess and I still love you. ;)
    Amanda @ Run Principessa recently posted..Who Am I, Anyway?My Profile

I was wondering if the CIM was in the area of heavy rain. The North Face 50 is running this weekend and that’s the forecast for those 50 milers as well. Yikes!

I love you attitude regarding running in the rain. Although you’ve run so many marathons, you must have done it before.
    Luckily I haven’t suffered the rainy races YET. So can’t make any suggestions based on experience but from what I was told…
    1. Wear tighter fitting clothing since you don’t want hanging, heavy, bagging clothes once it gets wet.
    2. If your family is going, consider having them hold onto some dry sneakers and tops – if not during the race, for after the race.

Have a great run. This one is all yours :)
    Joanne recently posted..FOFF Baked Chicken or Vegetarian Option with CapersMy Profile

I don’t have any tips- just wanted to say that I really dislike running in the rain. I have run a few half marathons in the rain and I am quite grumpy while waiting in the starting corrals (my boyfriend shakes his head and walks away!). I am always very cold, so rain makes it worse for me. Oh well. I still get out there and run the race! Now, if it is a training run- hello treadmill!!
    Heather @ Bake, Run, Live recently posted..12 Days of Christmas Cookies (2011 recap)My Profile

I ran one in the rain last year- but only part of it was in the rain – the beginning. I actually had a rain coat I kept putting on my waist and then wearing based on the rain (it was also 20-40 mph sustained winds). It ended up being helpful – well the rain, notsomuch the ridiculous headwinds :)

Good luck!
    Sheil recently posted..True Confession Thursday: ‘Cause I Win!My Profile

Good luck in SAC and safe travels today. I really hope that the weather takes a turn for the better, but it kind of doesn’t look like it. I have never run a marathon in the rain before, but I imagine that extra body glide will be needed. I would probably run in tights too. Have fun anyways, you are going to do great!
    PS- I still loved your post yesterday :-)
    Tasha @ Healthy Diva recently posted..DIY Sparkle SkirtMy Profile

The weather update from Oakland is that this 2nd storm moved through faster than predicted. The final storm Sunday is predicted to be strongest right at race start and then quickly mellow out by noon. No idea about winds, but I heard 20-40 mph possible. I’ll be drafting behind a pace group for sure! As for what to wear – I’ve heard lighter is better, don’t skimp on the body glide, and wear a hat.
    Have a good trip! See you in Sacramento!
    Jen recently posted..Marathon Musings III: “Always look on the bright side of life”My Profile

13. Glenn Jones says

I assume you’re talking about CIM? I work in Sacramento , and I was happy to get out of town last night (I live in L.A.). They are predicting 3+ inches of rain this weekend. Good luck and try to stay warm!

Living in Seattle, I run in the rain all the time. Once your completely soaked, I don’t think you’ll notice it much. If your feet are soaked, though, that could be uncomfortable. Being from Sacramento, I know they’re not used to big rain, so hopefully they’re over exaggerating. Good luck!
    Kerrie T. recently posted..2012 Seattle Half Marathon Race ReportMy Profile

In a funny way I’m getting excited now to go brave CIM in the rain! After reading Aron’s post over at runner’s rambles about running North Face 50 in this weather, I decided to quit my whining (I was being a bit of a baby about the stormy forecast ) and just be grateful I’m not running 50 miles on muddy trails with 10,000+ ft of elevation gain! We’ll have a great adventure :) Can’t wait to meet up!
    GreenGirlRunning recently posted..Stormy Running & Other StuffMy Profile

I actually don’t mind running in the rain, and I agree, much better than overheating like Boston. I don’t like the wind though, so hopefully you don’t get that as well as the rain. Have a safe trip and can’t wait to hear about it! Have a great race!
    Robin recently posted..Imperial Glass Grey Cup 8KMy Profile

Well, it is pouring like cats and dogs out here right now. And I think it is supposed to rain solid through Sunday at least. Hopefully you get a respite from the rain though for the rain. Regardless, I hope it goes well for you out here. I’m watching tonights Stanford-UCLA Pac-12 title game, and I’m expecting rain the whole game lol
    Nelly recently posted..Eugene, Stanford-Oregon, 10K race recapMy Profile

One of my best marathons was run in POURING rain and even hail the whole time (literally). I would take it over heat any day. ENJOY and good luck. I will be thinking fast (and dry!) thoughts for you. Hugs!
    Erin Henderson recently posted..BOLDMy Profile

I haven’t done a whole race in the rain, but I did a 12 mile trail run in the rain. I felt great while I was running except for some pretty major chafing. I’ve also heard hats to keep the rain off your face.

Good luck!!
    Kate recently posted..Phoning it inMy Profile

It is what it is, right? That’s what I repeated to myself at Baystate Marathon 2009. We had rain, sleet, and even mixed w/ some snow! We dodged (unsuccessfully) deep puddles and I’m sure most of us flirted w/ hypothermia. The.Most.Miserable.Race.Ever.

But then again, I too ran in that oven called Boston Marathon 2012. Because my husband and I ran together FOR FUN, I don’t think of it as a bust. But had I gone into it looking for a PR, I might place Boston 2012 at the top.

But for now, Baystate takes the cake.

Have fun @ CA!!!!!
    Lisa recently posted..LongevityMy Profile

Yeah! You’re coming to CA! I know it’ll be raining -but it’s a warm rain. It’ll actually be great run/race weather;-)

ENJOY! plus- it’s pretty much the flattest marathon out there so take it all in!

I ran the Maine marathon last October in the rain. Braiding my hair was a must, it was still a matted mess when I finished, but if I hadn’t braided it it would have been a bigger mess of wet, tangled,dreadlocked hair. Definitely a visor or hat!
    Sarah @RunFarGirl recently posted..Holiday Gift GuideMy Profile

Greetings I am so excited I found your site, I really found you by accident, while I was researching on Yahoo for something else, Nonetheless I am here now and would just like to
    say cheers for a marvelous post and a all round thrilling blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have time to read it all at the moment but I have book-marked it and also added in your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read much more, Please do keep up the excellent job.
    http://tudiencongnghe.net/ recently posted..http://tudiencongnghe.net/My Profile

There were sausage patties and also other hearty selections that went beyond “run-of-the-mill. The ‘landlord’ can have an apartment that they can really desire to rent over to you, if you send them the $50 key fee, or even the first month’s rent or the protection deposit, or sometimes, all three together. Devote 1 day inside the KLCC Recreation area or maybe take Fluffy about the walk and luxuriate within the cozy of seizure collectively in the dog enticing area.
    omni hotel atlanta north tower recently posted..omni hotel atlanta north towerMy Profile

You may also have a large method of getting bottled water and soft drinks.
    Check the seams in the fabric on the headboard, check every wooden seam
    about the headboard, as well as behind the headboard. If you take a business
    you will see that it’s essential that you just hold regular meetings
    using your individuals staff, your customers and also other colleagues to maintain up to date while using inner workings of the company.
    about hotel and restaurant management recently posted..about hotel and restaurant managementMy Profile

You can find out anf the husband or she is going to recognize all the
    answers for after all the tour guide came to be in the region and is an experienced tour guide.
    True for the vision in the ruler and Government of Dubai, this
    tiny emirate has been transformed from your sleepy fishing village to 1 with the most robust metropolitan cities about the planet.
    Most of the time with regards to going to a dark, unfamiliar room or location, the conventional
    reaction by most may perhaps be to “turn around the lights”.
    Theron recently posted..TheronMy Profile

The freelancing option is gaining more popularity among people of all walks of life as an achievable work from home idea that doesn’t take
    much off an investment of money. Plenty of peopl are able tto make money at home either
    with their own businesses or working at home for legitimate companies.
    Cleaning companies use their own cleaning equipments and
    skilled personnel who can easily operate them.
    click here recently posted..click hereMy Profile