I rarely do reruns of earlier posts, but since we are smack in the middle of all the big fall marathons, I thought I’d share a post I ran a couple of years back after having finished up the Richmond Marathon. Enjoy!
1. Thou shall take a moment to be proud, even if you aren’t happy with your time
2. In the first week post-marathon, thou shall not run with friends who did not run the marathon–their pace will be more than you need right now. In fact, not running at all for one week is not a bad idea!
3. Thou shall hit snooze if that’s what you feel like doing–better yet, turn off the alarm all together!
4. Thou shall not run speedwork (hopefully for a good few weeks!)
5. Thou shall cross train if thou wants
6. Thou shall indulge in favorite treats for a day or two, then get back to normal. You’re not exercising all that much right now–don’t pack on unwanted pounds!
7. Thou shall not bore non-runner friends with the endless details of your 26.2
8. Thou shall not wear your medal to work, book club, the gym, your kids’ school, etc.
9. Thou shall refrain from signing up for the next marathon until you’ve had time to come back down to earth and reality
10. Thou shall take inventory of what worked, what didn’t, and learn those lessons for the future
What are your rules of recovery?