I love my rest day

For as long as I have been doing endurance sports (and that’s a pretty long time now!) I have held Monday as my rest day. And while I know lots of you folks out there dread or avoid taking rest days, I do not. In fact, I love my rest days as much as my training days.

Why? So many reasons. Starting with the obvious, my body needs that day of rest. I don’t care what anyone thinks, we need rest to reap the benefits of the work we have put in. No one is exempt from this–just accept it. So I love giving my tired muscles a break.

Dec2011 009 224x300 I love my rest day

Rest is just as important as training

The second reason I love my rest day is sleep. This is the one day out of every week that I allow myself to sleep as late as I can, within the confines of having kids that need to get off to school. That usually means sleeping until about 6:30. I try to get to bed by 9 p.m. on Sunday nights so that I am getting nine or so hours of sleep. It feels great to wake up feeling refreshed on Monday mornings. I love it.

Third–there’s the mental aspect of a rest day. Just taking a break from thinking about training and focusing the entire day on work and family is refreshing for me. It recharges my batteries so that I am ready to go again come Tuesday.

I don’t follow this rest day schedule 100 percent of the time, but I’d say about 95 percent of the time, it’s how I roll. I’ll occasionally throw in an easy swim or spin on my Monday if I feel up to it or maybe missed a session the week before. I’ll usually alter the day off after a race, as well. Otherwise, you’ll find me sleeping late and “slacking off” on a Monday. It might just be my favorite day of the week.

Do you take a regular rest day each week? Why or why not?

Comments

My rest day is on Saturday. I have a restday because I have read time and again how important it is to give your body a break, and reap the benefits of all my training. Resting is just as important as working out.
    Mom’ s Home Run recently posted..Mom PowerMy Profile

Rest days are great, but I still run on them… Monday was one such day, I had run the marathon on Sunday and so Monday was a rest day, being a public holiday I slept late and only headed out for an easy 10km in the afternoon… If I hadn’t run the marathon I would have spent 2-3 hours running on the mountain! So 45min without much climb was easy and a rest day!!!
    Coach Dion recently posted..Cape Town Marathon 2012My Profile

I usually always take Sunday as a rest day. Sometimes, if I’m exhausted during the week, I’ll switch it with another day, though.

I love my one rest day, it’s when I have to take multiples that it kills me. For example, today and Thursday are rest days for taper and I might go a little crazy on those days!
    Kari @ Running Ricig recently posted..dancing negates rest daysMy Profile

I love my rest days, which sound much like yours…a day focused only on my family, ie: no social media, blog stuff or training. After school, my kids come home and we go to the park, swim or watch a movie together. It’s their rest day too.. they have activities all week long, they need it as much as we do. Have a fabulous week! xoxo
    LisaM@RunWiki recently posted..In an instant my Dream becomes a RealityMy Profile

I love my rest day too. I think that it is weird when people don’t take them because they really are so important to our training. They are just as important as the actual workout! It drives me crazy to read blogs about people “feeling guilty” for taking a rest day. Seriously?!
    Tasha @ Healthy Diva recently posted..22:35My Profile

mmmm rest days :D I’ve taken like a rest summer lol It got pretty hot around here so I took a break from most things. My full marathon training starts Oct. 15 so I’m sure I’ll be looking forward to those precious rest days too. It’s healthy and delicious to recharge your body. Way to go for listening to your body and doing what is right for it.
    Lynda @ Hit The Road Jane recently posted..See What UnfoldsMy Profile

I am totally on the same page. In fact, I usually have Monday as my rest day as well. However, sometimes life gets in the way, and some weeks if I do my long run on Saturday instead of Sunday, I rest more on Sunday and then get back out there on Monday. Last week I made a boo boo and tried to do four long runs instead of 6 shorter ones and I had to cram them in on Friday, Saturday and Sunday and I NEEDED my rest on Monday!
    Travel Spot recently posted..Change of PaceMy Profile

Lovely! And your couch looks like the perfect spot.
    My total rest day is usually Friday and it’s great not to stress how I’m going to squeeze in a workout. I wish I could stay home and do nothing all day but I’m usually just as wiped out on Fridays from all the running around (work, house) that needs to happen before 2:50 kid pick up time. I’m always shocked how fast the day goes, but I get a lot done.
    Fueled by Spite recently posted..Change of SceneMy Profile

hehe that’s a comfy looking couch! Truth be told, when runners talk about their enforced “rest days” during the week, I feel like a huge slacker because I take rest days as I please as often as I please. I only run 3-5 days a week, so the days I’m not running feel less like “rest days” and more like “slacker days” :P
    Efo recently posted..Race Recap: 2012 Equinox Half MarathonMy Profile

I so agree with you. Sunday is my rest day. I sleep in, go to church with my family, go to work, MAYBE take a walk at work if I feel like it but often there’s too much work but I don’t sweat it. I like how you plan your early bedtime ahead of your rest day to make it even more restful–I’m going to try to do that too!
    Terzah recently posted..Still Resting…..My Profile

This summer, while training for my marathons, I got a little more sleep and took an extra day off per week. It was amazing! My entire attitude was different. My body didn’t hurt and I didn’t burn out. Rest days are SO important.
    Joanne recently posted..FOFF Pasta with RicottaMy Profile

I don’t take the same day every week. I kind of adjust my schedule to accommodate how my body feels.

However, this I know; I HAVE to train on Mondays! If I don’t start off the week strong my whole week of training will SUCK! Kudos to you for taking Mondays, that’s the day I feel I really should take off, but the price to pay is too steep.
    Jonathan Aluzas recently posted..Fitness Realities: The Myth of MotivationMy Profile

Trackbacks