Wardrobe malfunctions

stripey tank oiselle 2 Wardrobe malfunctions

This favorite Oiselle tank was my Thursday choice

Ok, not on par with Justin Timberlake and Janet Jackson, but…Is it just me or does anyone else have a hard time nailing the right combo of clothes for fall and spring weather? On Tuesday, I put on a long-sleeved shirt for my 10 miles and half-way in, I was dying of heat. By Thursday’s run, I was in a tank (and thankful for it) because humidity was back in the picture. I seem to be going through all of my running wardrobe right now.

I think this happens every year. Summer is easy–you know you’re limited to shorts/skirts and sleeveless tops, at least around here. Come mid-September, however, and things start to get a little tricky. We can have some cool nights, so if I’m running in the early a.m. before the sun comes up, I may need arm warmers or long sleeves with my shorts. Run a bit later in the morning, say around 8 or 9, and the whole picture can change. The sun is up and long sleeves are more than I can handle. What’s hard, though, is to understand this and get out the door that way when the chill hasn’t quite left the air.

The same goes for gloves–to wear them or not? Pre-dawn, I just might. Mid-morning, no way.

One thing I do know is that every year, I hold out on the tights and capris as long as possible. I am not a winter girl and I hate giving into it. Why yes, I am mature! On that note–I’m sure winter notices that I am thumbing my nose at it, too.

Anyhow, what I hate more than anything is to get the clothing combo wrong. I have every possible option in my drawers and so you’d think this would never be an issue. And yet, sometimes, like on Tuesday, I mess it up. In the end, it’s really a matter of #firstworldproblems though, isn’t it?

Do you find it tough to get your running gear right in fall and spring?

Comments

It always takes me a couple times to get the clothing right when the weather abruptly turns. We’re so used to the muck all summer and think we’ll freeze to death at 55 degrees and dress like it’s the Arctic….when really, I’ve worn sleeveless and shorts in that when doing a marathon. Why can’t our brains just remember. Haha. Great post!! :)
    Jill recently posted..Denver RnR Weekend by the numbersMy Profile

I was just thinking this yesterday on my run. I can’t figure out what to wear right now either! I did migrate to capris, but I never know at this time of the year or Spring what the weather will bring and what top to put on :/ I’ve been sticking to thin long sleeve tops where the arms easily will push up if I get hot.
    Christina recently posted..My love for Jamie Oliver’s Food RevolutionMy Profile

It is definitely chilly enough in the morning here that you would need a long sleeve shirt for most of your run. In the afternoon the temps have been averaging in the 70s which is nice to have this late in September. I have heard rumors that this winter might not be so bad, knock on wood.
    Tasha @ Healthy Diva recently posted..ResolutionsMy Profile

Right now, its that “tweener” season, too cold for summer gear, too hot for winter gear, I still have to study the weather report to figure out what to wear now

Same as you. It’s tough. The 40 deg. temps seem so cold but not after you’ve been out there a while. The 50’s are easier to plan for. I’ll usually pull out the capri’s for 50’s and below.
    I can usually plan ok for my body but my hands, they are never happy: either too hot or too cold. Too cold is ubber annoying since I can’t grip anything once they get frosty.
    Joanne recently posted..FOFF Pasta with RicottaMy Profile

6. Michele @ nycrunningmama says

Hahaha…definitely a first world problem!!!! I totally am in the same boat…the other thing to take into account is how long the run is…if it’s short, I don’t mind being warm for a few miles…but if it’s a longer run, I’d rather be cold for a few miles and then good for rest!!!! But I get so mad when I make the wrong choice!!!!
    Michele @ nycrunningmama recently posted..Friday RandomnessMy Profile

My race tomorrow is in PA so already that’s about 5 – 10 degrees colder than here in VA. And I’ll be starting at a higher elevation and climbing and decending into valleys for who knows how many hours. I haven’t even started to pack because I just have NO CLUE about what I should wear! Funny thing is at least the wardrobe worries keep me from focusing on the actuall challenges I am about to face. heehee
    shelly recently posted..The Nuki SongMy Profile

I am getting better at it as I am finally learning to dress ‘less’ than before. I used to always wear way too much. I am finding arm warmers very valuable in the Fall.

I completely get what you are saying. My favorite running outfit is shorts and a long sleeve shirt, but this is a tough one to pull off because if I start getting warm I’m stuck in the long sleeves. Heaven forbid I take the shirt off and finish my run in my sports bra, I wouldn’t want to scare all the other runners out there.
    Beth @ Miles and Trials recently posted..To Race or Not to RaceMy Profile

10. Holly says

I am the dork with a sticky in my running clothes shelving area that has ranges of temps with suggested combos. I check the temp before heading to my sticky note and make a choice. However, when it dipped to 40 last week I didn’t trust my own advice and dressed too warm!

That Oiselle tank was on my birthday wish list but was out of stock- I love it! Moving to Houston has changed my wardrobe problems, it’s just always hot. :)

I really like the long sleeve shirts with the thumb holes so they can cover your hands. I find them really effective this time of the year when it’s just not cold enough for gloves, but too cold to go without, at the start. As for the sleeves, I’m not so bothered by long sleves if it starts to get warm. I just roll them up and I’m ok.
    Robin recently posted..Run for the ToadMy Profile

I definitely have a hard time figuring out what to wear. OK, not running/workout related but right now, I’m having the hardest time with what shoes to wear!! It’s a little too cold for sandals or flip flops but I’m also not loving flats right now. Frankly, I would just like to wear my Reeboks around town all day but I’m not sure if that will work :-)
    Christine @ Love, Life, Surf recently posted..Friday Round-Up – ExpectationsMy Profile

I’m with you – I wear shorts as long as possible and my legs are the last thing to get cold, so it’s okay. What I think is funny in the fall and spring is seeing the ranges of what you and everyone else is wearing – you’ll see everything from tank and shorts to long sleeves and capris and I think is is a sign that everyone is confused and gets it wrong sometimes!
    Beth @ RUNNING around my kitchen recently posted..Blogger safety & Infuse Your Mood reviewMy Profile

I always have this problem in the spring and fall. It’s gotten worse since having a little jogging stroller running companion because not only do I have to figure out my wardrobe, but I have to figure out his with this weather!
    Kristen recently posted..Test run postponedMy Profile

I always am sad when I wear a long sleeve in the fall. For the first mile it’s great, but after that, I just have to lug it around. I am trying to learn to be cold for the first mile in order to be comfortable the rest of the way! I ran a turkey trot in Massachusetts last year and it was freezing at the start. However, about .5 miles in, I was dying of heat exhaustion. Then when it was over, I was sweaty and freezing again. You just can’t win.
    Travel Spot recently posted..Then and Now: SeptemberMy Profile

i always forget what is comfortable to wear in the changing temps!! i also always tell myself i’m going to make a note of it in my running log so that next year i know what to wear… but i never do. (and even if i did, i doubt i’d go back to look for that, ha)
    lindsay recently posted..september 2012My Profile

I have that top too! Love it. I have to admit though, I’ve given into the Lesley Knickers because they are just THAT awesome. Plus, it’s been a little chilly on a few of my runs lately. This time of year is definitely hard to know what to wear for a run. I tend to go for layers. It’s really hard to know what it’s like outside until you get there, and living on the 24th floor, I don’t want to go down just to find out! I’m lazy, what can I say?
    lisa @ early morning run recently posted..How (and why) I Wake Up Before 5amMy Profile

of course much like your internet site however you must examine the punctuational with some of your content regularly. Some are usually filled by using spelling challenges and I to find the item incredibly worrisome to tell the fact even so Let me undoubtedly revisit just as before.