Three times the fun (IronGirl)

IMG 1734 300x300 Three times the fun (IronGirl)

Transition area the day before

Like I said last week, I really do think triathlons are more fun than running races. That doesn’t mean I’m going back to them, other than the occasional sprint, because running is how I’d rather spend my training time, but I have so much fun at tris. An Iron Girl event, being all women, being incredibly supported by the crowds, and being the place where so many women do their first tri ever, takes that up a notch.

So how did it go? Pretty well. I was happy with my swim, embarrassed by my bike split, and satisfied with my run. Triathlon, in my opinion, all comes down to the bike. It takes the hugest chunk of time, so it pays to make it the focus of your training if you’re going to do triathlons. Did I do that? Not so much! I still kept my running miles fairly high, swam about the right amount (and pushed myself in the water), and put in enough miles on the bike. But outside of some hill repeats, I didn’t really work hard enough on the bike. I didn’t realize my split would be that bad, but you get out of it what you put into it.

As for placement–I did ok. I was 23rd overall and either third or fourth in my age group. I got to the awards late and missed my age group. I was officially fourth in

it, but my friend Janelle won overall masters, so she was pulled from our age group, hopefully moving me up to third. In either case, this race organization always awards down to fifth in age groups, so I got some hardware. The only problem is (remember I got there late), they gave me an award for the wrong age group. If you

IG2012kids 225x300 Three times the fun (IronGirl)

Post race with my cheerleaders

were fourth in the 40 to 44 age group, I’ve got your award!

IMG 1740 300x224 Three times the fun (IronGirl)

A small way to carry Dale's spirit with me

Doing this race as part of Team Fight was fantastic. Seeing all the other women out there on the course and being able to cheer them on was a ball. I love how many of them used this as their first tri. And since I was wearing Team Fight colors, I had the body markers add a little extra for me, in memory of my brother-in-law, Dale.

I ended up raising over $1,700 for the Ulman Cancer Fund, and much of that is thanks to you all. In that spirit, the winner of my raffle for donations goes to Patty Barnhill.  Congrats! Many thanks again to my great sponsors for this, Chick Bands, Outside PR, Bill Katovsky, and  Oiselle.

Up ahead this week–recovery for a few days and then back to more running miles. I have one more sprint tri in mid-Septembr, and even though I could really stand more bike work, I also have CIM Dec. 2, so that’s going to take priority now. I’m really glad I did Iron Girl–it’s going to go down as one of my favorite races this season!

Comments

Great job on your tri! I enjoy reading your tips and passing them on to my husband (he just did his first 70.3!) I’m trying to talk him into running CIM with me;)

Congratulations! It’s impressive enough that you did it at all, but to also place so high AND raise so much money for the foundation… well done. And good, reasonable reflection on your performance, too! Nice work
    Meredith @ DareYouTo recently posted..Get After It!My Profile

Nice job with Iron Girl. I’m toying with buying a bike and trying out the tri world. I feel pretty good about my swim and run. I am sure actually owning a bike would be a good first start on cycling.

In other news … Clippers picked up our swim coach. Sounds like he’ll have your sons’ group. You’ll have to let me know what you think.
    Mara @Big Happy Family recently posted..Happy AnniversaryMy Profile

Congrats!! Way to go :) I’m with you in the fact that I need to work more on biking. I think I’m fine at it and focus on the swim because I’m more nervous about that, but I need to remind myself the the bike is the biggest portion and I need to focus on those dang hills!! Anyway, yay for you!!
    Kara recently posted..Sizing UpMy Profile

Good job! I’d be afraid to run a triathlon on the spur of the moment. I’d probably drown! Nice that you enjoyed it.

Just a note about the atmosphere at a tri: My husband, who announces races says that at triathlon award ceremonies, the athletes are very nice and accommodating, even if they’ve had to wait awhile for the ceremony to start. Runners on the other hand tend to complain and be in a much worse mood. I thought that was interesting, because being a runner I always thought we were the nicer ones :-)
    Debbie @ Live from La Quinta recently posted..Weekend Reader: Inspiring Words from the WebMy Profile

Awesome work! And as someone who’s had oodles (read: hardly any) of experience with triathlons (read: finished one sprint) ;) – I have to say I agree with the bike thing. It really killed it for me. I dropped 4 places during it and made up the 1 at the end (it was a reverse tri so we ended with the swim). It was totally deflating for me and turned me off from the tri experience. Maybe I should bike more and tri it again ;)
    Sheila recently posted..Running Like A GirlMy Profile

7. Dawn says

Congrats! I was one of the “newbies” doing IG as my first tri. It was such an amazing experience — definitely something to be said about the environment/feel of an all-women’s event. And like you, I participated through a charity team — mine was Team in Training. The experience of training with such an incredible group of women and our awesome coach made me feel like a winner even before race day! (And I raised almost $4000 for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, with a few more donations still trickling in – which is the best part of all!)

WAIT! I just did the IronGirl yesterday, too. Now I know why Christine at Live, Love Surf tweeted us Congrats at the same time. We were at the same event. Small world.

What a great event. Weather couldn’t have been better. This was my 2nd IronGirl and it was just as good as the first. Congrats on your placing. I’m in the “turtle crew”, but I finished strong and still feel great. Congrats again. I see Team Fight at many events here in Columbia.
    Michelle recently posted..Weekend Recap & The Weekly ChaseMy Profile

You are my inspiration, Amanda. And I am always impressed that you never divulge your finish time on your blog. I know how fast you are and it’s commendable how you don’t make the # the focus of your posts.
    Congrats on a great race, especially given that your focus is still mostly on running. Imagine how amazing you’d be if you focused more on the bike =)
    Michele @ Nycrunningmama recently posted..Gestational DiabetesMy Profile

Great job on IronGirl. I really wish we had one near us. I agree, triathlons are much more fun to race than normal events, but I have to admit after my half marathon yesterday….It was kind of nice not to have to worry about everything that you have to bring with you to a triathlon.
    Robin recently posted..My 5 Hour Training DayMy Profile