Monday mix

No big theme here today, just some scattered thoughts/happenings to share. And I do love bullet points, so here goes:

• SAM 1128 300x225 Monday mix

From summer freedom to school

I nailed my 18-mile glycogen depletion run on Saturday. I felt good all the way to the end, which was such a great feeling after my first couple of tough runs without fuel. Maybe my body is starting to adapt?

• At the same time, I did something slightly different with this one per Mark Cucuzzella’s suggestion–I had a cup of coffee before heading out. I have never done this pre-run, even though I know lots of people do. So maybe it played a role in the run’s success, too.
  • On my rainy recovery run yesterday, I spotted a woman doing her run with an umbrella in her hand. Really? I had to do a double-take to make sure I was really seeing that. Yes I was.
  • The kids go back to school today. Even though that means more time for work and more time for me, I am really sad to see them go this year. It has been an incredible summer and I will miss them like crazy.
  • Even though I will miss them, I am excited to have time again for the occasional nap. Not afraid to admit it.
  • One more week of swimming in outdoor pools is depressing. I always hate going back inside and with Maryland weather, it would be completely practical if some of the pools stayed open outside beyond Labor Day.
  • I have completely ignored my bike this past week. Should amount to a fantastic bike split at the Dewey Beach triathlon I have on Sept. 15.
  • I made my plane reservations for CIM last week, so looks like it’s a go!

What’s going on in your world? Do you drink coffee before your runs?

Comments

Running with an umbrella?? Definitely have never seen that. Hilarious. I have not swam laps in a pool outside in years. However, the YMCA pools down here are all outside with overhangs. I have yet to join up but plan to do so soon. Can’t wait to get outside to swim again. Have a great week!
    Heidi @BananaBuzzbomb recently posted..Buzz: Phoenix Music SceneMy Profile

The gal with the umbrella must not have been running far although, the pacers in the marathons amaze me the way they can hold the time post in their hand the entire 26.2 miles.
    As for the coffee, I tried that a week or so ago. Like you I’ve never had coffee before a run even though I am so addicted. It tasted HORRIBLE to me. The entire run, no matter what I did, all I could taste was coffee. I’m not sure if it helped my legs or not, as for my brain, it completely distracted me.
    Joanne recently posted..CNYEats A Taste of Utica Italian Chocolate CookiesMy Profile

I have no intention of letting hubby close up the pool anytime soon. Those after run dips are addictive!

This our second week of school. I’m not really used to the new routine yet but I know my daughter is thrilled to be back in school.

Coffee before a run? Humm? I don’t think I’ve ever done it. Although I’ve wanted coffee towards the end of some races. ;-)
    shelly recently posted..Let Sleeping Babies LieMy Profile

Awesome that you nailed your 18! I have yet to try fueling that way- working my way back up to double digit runs carefully. Hopefully Saturday. Enjoy the back to school week. Nothing changes for us yet!
    The pool thing is so odd- even here, where it’s still in the 90’s for much of September, local pools open at Memorial day and close by Labor day. I don’t get it!
    Laura recently posted..Two magic words for running (and life)My Profile

You don’t carry an umbrella when you run? That’s so boring. I find it to be cheaper than buying water wicking gear.

CIM? I’m still hoping to run that one (with the opened registration window here shortly) If my injury cooperates. Maybe I’ll see you there
    Sheila recently posted..Weekend TeaserMy Profile

The running with the umbrella was interesting. I always drink coffee before I run/race. At home I’ll have one normal size cup and then go. For a race, I stop at Tim Horton’s and grab a large coffee and drink it on the way to the race (because there’s enough time to use facilities before race), but there’s always coffee involved in my runs.
    Robin recently posted..Nice Surprise from BostonMy Profile

I love my kids, but I have to say I’ve been like a kid in a candy store since kindergarten started. Thursdays and Fridays are now MINE. Last Thursday I took a nap that was more like a coma. And when it’s time to pick them up I’m glad to see them. Works for everyone.

The umbrella…..wow, that’s just weird. The coffee thing has an effect on me, though I’m not sure if it’s physical or psychological. I never drink coffee normally, but before a race I always have some.
    Terzah recently posted..Details, Details!My Profile

Ok. The running w/ the umbrella might be one of the strangest thing I have ever heard. That just makes no sense.

I drink coffee before every run now. I never used to, but while I was deployed to Iraq, I was running in the early afternoon and felt tired and sluggish from being at work for 6-8 hrs already…so I would drink 1/2 cup of coffee about 30-45 min before my run. I found that it almost acted like fuel – I was never hungry and it gave me that burst of energy I needed for my run. I also drank 1/2 cup after returning to my desk (about 30 min after my run). It did the same thing for me!!

Great job on the 18 miler!! And good luck to your son and daughter on their first day of school!!!! =)
    Michele @ Nycrunningmama recently posted..Back to Running!!My Profile

The umbrella is really funny! Some people do the strangest things. Our outdoor pools open this Saturday. It’s been warm so I think a lot of people will already be there on Saturday. Our winter is nearly over and I can’t believe how 2012 is flying by. I drink coffee before all my long runs.
    Johann recently posted..Monday UpdateMy Profile

Congrats on the long run, daaang girl! Go you! I don’t do coffee before runs anymore, but when I was in college our XC/track coach encouraged it, so I dabbled in a good brew from race to race. I’m super jealous about CIM… I would so love to race that marathon again. I’ll have to live vicariously through you!
    Efo recently posted..First long run in ages, new-decor, and motivationMy Profile

YES coffee every morning. I go downstairs, get my coffee, go back up and sit in bed to drink it and read for 15 mins then get ready for my run. Habit. Love every second of it. I think it definitely helps wake the body up before I run too.
    Kristy recently posted..Weekly Log – FearlessMy Profile

I never used to have coffee before a training run but now I do. I”ve never paid attention to whether or not it helps me though! I want to try a depletion run but I”m so nervous about totally bonking. Maybe I’ll do small loops around my hood so I’m never too far from home.
    Phaedra recently posted..Toronto Island Triathlon Race ReportMy Profile

18 miles without fuel sounds tough. Actually 18 miles with fuel sounds tough to me :-).

Never heard of someone running with an umbrella. Had to be pretty funny looking.

I always drink coffee before my long runs. Not too much, usually less than a cup but sometimes it gets things going (GI wise) when I need it and it usually helps me run better. I don’t drink coffee though before my morning runs during the week. I just usually eat before my longer runs so I have coffee too.
    J recently posted..Just for the weekendMy Profile