Rockville Twilighter 8k

IMG 1654 224x300 Rockville Twilighter 8k

With Alison--yes, we thought the parking garage made a lovely backdrop!

Let me start by saying that if you’ve never raced in the dark (at night) do it! I really enjoyed this little switch up to the normal racing scene. You can’t see your splits (although they had clocks at each mile marker), you can’t see your fellow racers, unless they are right next to you, and you can’t really even see much of what’s coming. Sensory deprivation at its best for data hungry running geeks!

IMG 1655 300x224 Rockville Twilighter 8k

Enjoying a beer with my friend Sue post race

By some big stroke of luck, after a week where temps were well above 100 most days, we got a freakishly cool and rainy day for the Twilighter. I was really happy about this because it was my first race this year without above normal temps. I also got a chance to catch up with my friend Sue, see plenty of Howard County Striders, and meet up with Alison of Racing Tales, a FitFluential friend. I felt like I knew Alison already from plenty of virtual exchanges, but meeting her in person just confirmed to me that we are like-minded souls. And she ripped off a really nice race, too–congrats Alison!

So how did the actual race itself go? Not great, but not horrible, either. It was fairly far off my “normal” 8k time, but an improvement over my last race, so I’ll call it progress. Check out my video for more details (and I know I have bags under my eyes, but gees–goggle marks from just getting out of pool make it all the more winning!):

So as you can see, I still have some work to do, but I feel like I’m moving forward, and that’s what counts.

Anyone else race this weekend? How did it go?

Comments

I’ve never done a nighttime race, but it sounds like it would be a ton of fun. Some of my best races (incl my 2nd marathon – took 32 min off my previous time) were ones where I didn’t know the course completely and didn’t have a Garmin on. I found that I ran and listened to my body w/o worrying about sticking to a certain pace.
    Congrats on a great race – progress is progress =)
    And can I just say that you look entirely too pretty and put together to have just come out of the pool???? LOL.
    Michele @ Nycrunningmama recently posted..Friday Night Cry SessionMy Profile

2. CJ says

So glad you liked the little hometown race that I love to run!

I saw you warming up–recognized you and the beautiful, sunshiny shoes :) Not too shabby on the AG prize. There’s always next year; the weather might be less ideal, but it’s a whole different feel to start when you can see for the first mile or so before it’s completely dark. C’mon back in 2013!

Night races ARE fun. I haven’t done one in ages, but the thing I remember is that you feel like you are flying (even when you’re not) because the dark makes everything so fluid and surreal. As for your time, progress=progress! You’re getting there!
    Terzah recently posted..How My Training LooksMy Profile

Yay for progress!! You should totally try a Ragnar relay if you though racing was fun in the dark. Those can be some very dark runs. Nothing but you and your bouncing headlamp. I love it.
    Keep up the great work and awesome attitude.
    Missy recently posted..Thai Beef Noodle SaladMy Profile

I’ve run in the dark a couple times. One started in the evening and finished at night. That was one ok, but I would have preferred all night running. I’ve done that in a couple relays and it’s so much fun. It seriously feels like you are out experiencing something that everyone else (who is sleeping) is missing out on.

Progress is progress and great video. I was waiting for you to change into animation like your logo.
    Pavement Runner recently posted..My Top 10 Favorite MedalsMy Profile

That sounds like fun! During the relay, I ran at night and it was amazing! I had never done it before then and it really gives you a different perspective on things! And places! I will have to look into future night races in my area!
    Travel Spot recently posted..Oregon RecapMy Profile

I think it would heighten my fear of getting lost on a race course to run after dark. It also must have presented interesting nutrition challenges compared to a morning race, no?

I’m glad you had a stronger race than your last one. You were out of commission for a long time, so just keep at it. You will get back to zipping by.
    Raquelita recently posted..Itinerary of InsanityMy Profile

I’ve never done a night race, but I’ve run a few relays in the middle of the night. One of them I stepped in a pothole and sprained my ankle bad. My PT said that sprain was a contributor to my PF issue last year. YAY!

Great job on the race.