I can’t hang…

IMG 1695 224x300 I cant hang...

Getting away with a great friend

…in the real world. So I discovered this weekend while on a short getaway with Mr. Zippy and some old friends. Before I get to that, however, let me tell you about the beginning of my weekend.

IMG 1685 300x300 I cant hang...

The forever line that greeted me at the IronGirl practice swim

I got to do the practice swim for IronGirl first thing Saturday morning. I arrived around 6:20 to a HUGE line of women waiting to get chipped before entering the water. The RD was sending people off by age group and before I knew it, they were calling my wave. Still unchipped at this point, I moved up in line, checked in, and hit the water.

How was it being back in open water? With the exception of the fact that the course goes directly east as the sun rises, pretty good. But sighting was really, really frustrating to me because the sun just plain old blinded me on the way out. The way back in was easy peasy with the sun at my back and I feel like I swam fairly well. Still, I’m hoping for big time cloud cover on Aug. 19.

After the swim, I drove back home, hopped on my bike and headed out for a brick of about 16 miles/3 miles. It was great to try out my race kit both in the water and out. I did learn that I need to tighten up the bottoms for the swim, or I’ll be IMG 1688 300x224 I cant hang...losing my shorts!

When all was said and done, I packed a quick bag, dropped the kids with some friends, and headed off to Deep Creek Lake with Mr. Zippy to meet some old friends of ours. I’ve been friends with Cherie since childhood and with about four hours between us, we don’t see each other nearly enough. Having two days together was fantastic–a chance to catch up and maybe drink a few too many beers. Which is where the “I can’t hang” part comes in.

The other three in our little party can party. There was a time, way back in college, when I could too, but now? I’m a lightweight. It killed me to both try to hang with them on a beer consumption level, and stay up late. I am officially old. Or maybe just a tired runner trying to be a triathlete. Probably both.

But it was fun and Sunday morning, I got a chance to sweat it all out. We headed over to the nearby state park and I got in a trail run. It was beautiful, albeit very rocky–it made my wimpy descending skills seem all the wimpier. Gotta work on that if I’m ever going to do a 50k.

All in all, I had a fantastic weekend–now it’s time to catch up on sleep and get back to normal.

Do you find you can’t hang with your (non-athlete)  friends like you used to? Do you ever try?

Comments

Sounds like a fun weekend! Most of my not being able to party with the friends I think has to do with my age vs my athletics lol….I can still do it now and again, but not nearly as much as I used to :)
    Robin recently posted..So Far So GoodMy Profile

I am still hung up on this whole can’t swim in lakes thing. If you want to go swimming with your kids do you have to go to a pool or the ocean? Aren’t there beaches at lakes? When I read this I realized the sun was not in my eyes for my triathlon on Saturday. I have no idea if it was just not in the sun or cloudy. That’s how nervous I was but I’m glad it wasn’t in my eyes. I guess I better go look at the pictures.

OMG I totally cannot hang out with normal people anymore! I get so sleepy and then basically I can’t function or hold a conversation. Makes for good company, no? But it sounds like you had a great time with some great friends which is what matters. That is frustrating that the swim heads right into the sun but sounds like a great trial run with your kit and all!
    Christine @ Love, Life, Surf recently posted..Scenes from my weekend – MusicMy Profile

Definitely can’t hang with that crowd much anymore! Luckily, the majority of friends in my circles these days are also athletes. A round of waters and 9pm bed time all around. HA!

Awesome job on the big brick day. Sounds like some great workouts. Your race kit looks great, too.
    Marlene recently posted..Insta-FridayMy Profile

Ha. A lot has changed for me in the last year. Even though I’ve been running for 8 years I’ve ALWAYS been a bit of a partier. But, since my first marathon things have most certaintly changed. A very good friend of mine who is not a runner or exerciser has even given me grief for not drinking with them like I used too. Frankly that highly annoyed me. Not only can I not hang like I used to but I’d rather goto bed and not consume extra calories! I’m not perfect and maybe backslide everyone once in a while but it’s getting less and less. Funny, I’m way more productive.
    Ps you look awesome on the bike! Hardcore ;)
    Fueled by Spite recently posted..Get Skinny?My Profile

Hehe, I hope it’s not just an age thing ’cause then, I’m roughly 87 years old. I certainly can’t ‘keep up’ with my nonrunner friends either, and my bedtime is usually between 9-10PM. I’m perfectly happy acting like a grandma :) I’d rather go to bed at 9PM and wake up at 5AM any day!

I’ve never been a partier or drinker – not even in college – so never was ever in the “in” crowd. I’ll have an occasional beer or margarita, but I don’t like wine or hard drinks. I have a hard enough time getting out of bed when I haven’t drank. Ha!

Going down on rocky trails is really painful for me. I trip constantly. A guy told me on Leadville to pick up my toes vs. my whole foot and that really did seem to help the stumbling part…but I’m still slow.
    Jill recently posted..Let’s SwimMy Profile

8. Colleen says

I’ve given up trying to “hang” with my old friends. Honestly, my life is a lot different than that anyhow. :) I can’t say that I don’t still try sometimes… but I always end up kicking myself the next day. Hard lesson to learn over and over! :)

Sounds like you had a great weekend!

The business about sighting in open water got me thinking. How did you manage to do it before you had the eye surgery? I don’t swim much at all because basically I’m close to blind without my glasses.
    Char recently posted..I SpyMy Profile