What a difference some rest makes

I can’t believe it’s been just a little over a week since my legs completely fell apart on me. I’m very happy to say that this week, they are feeling really great. It took some doing to get here, but I didn’t expect to recover quite so fast, I must admit.

I spent several days doing nothing more than easy cycling and swimming, and continued taking my copper supplements. I started to feel my overall energy returning by the end of last week. Then on Saturday, I took my bike out with a friend for about 26 miles, and even though I was still taking it really easy, I could tell that my legs were feeling fresher. I half expected them to feel exhausted at the top of each climb we did, but they cooperated and this put a big smile on my face.

IMG 1444 225x300 What a difference some rest makes

These legs are singing a much happier tune now

So I caved and tried a run, one week post-race. I only did four miles, but it was a really nice four miles. I felt like my legs had some snap back and there was no accompanying fatigue. The next day when a friend asked if I wanted to do a six-mile trail run, I had to go! We took it nice and easy and again, my legs behaved. Yesterday my legs were a tiny bit sore, but it was the kind of “haven’t been used” sore rather than exhausted sore. A good sore.

Tomorrow I get my LASIK surgery and will be forced to give up running again for about a week. So I’ll do what any sane runner would do, fit in a longer run beforehand–probably in the range of 10 to 12 miles. After my next week off, I’m thinking I should be completely recharged to start back with some real training again. I can’t wait–I have visions of late-summer/early fall racing dancing in my head!

Ready to get the party started….

Comments

Good luck with the surgery (I want the same kind!). I totally hear ya on the legs, I had to give myself a rest for a week and a half because my HIP was killing me. I felt like an 80 year old trapped in a 29 year old body! YIKES! Glad they came back and served ya well!
    Amanda@Happy Mother Runner recently posted..Food Overhaul UpdateMy Profile

I am totally giggling to myself here….why of course you need to go for a 12 miler before surgery! The best part is….I would do the same!! I love it! So glad your legs are feeling better already! They just needed a time out!
    Fancy Nancy recently posted..Almost Wordless WednesdayMy Profile

Hope the LASIK goes well for you tomorrow! And I am sure all this time off will help you bounce back into training even better. I am actually feeling quite good for not running for a few days – I know I needed the mental rest.
    J recently posted..Marathoner!My Profile

Good luck on your lasik surgery tomorrow. I know how excited you have been for this so I can’t wait to hear about it. I will be sending good thoughts your way.
    Glad your legs are feeling recovered. It isn’t fun when they feel like lead!
    Tasha @ Healthy Diva recently posted..#NUUNKOTBMy Profile

I always look forward to a week off running like I would look forward to hanging out with a nest of hornets. But…..I always feel stronger and rested afterward.

Good luck with the surgery!

Yay! So glad you are feeling better already. That quick of a recovery is a good sign for sure, and your forced rest I am sure will leave you SUPER ready to go!

Good luck with the Lasik! :)
    Erin Henderson recently posted..Bye bye glutenMy Profile

Ha! I love how you are going to fit in a long run before your surgery! I am so glad your legs are recovered! I think the biking is very helpful as it keeps them going but is much less taxing than running. Good luck with your surgery!
    Travel Spot recently posted..Snakes and StonesMy Profile

Haha I did a long workout before my Lasik too. I was good and tired when I got home from my surgery, which is good. I slept like a baby.
    That’s my tip for you. Sleep, sleep, sleep after surgery.
    Good luck!
    You will be so glad you did it!
    Missy recently posted..Taco SkilletMy Profile

happy to hear you feel refreshed!!! Good luck tomorrow, I’ve thought about Lasik, I would love to be able to ditch my lenses, especially when swimming : )
    Molly recently posted..Off The GridMy Profile

Yes! Good feeling! Enjoy your extra rest and good luck with LASIK tomorrow. I’ve only heard,” I wish I would have done it sooner”. Excited for you!
    Fueled by Spite recently posted..NakedMy Profile