We almost (all) made it

Going into this Boston, I had about 10 or 11 friends getting ready for the marathon. We do lots of our training together, both long runs and speed work. About six weeks ago, one of these training partners dared to mention the fact that, at that stage in the game, we were probably all going to make it. We remarked on what an amazing thing this was–with that many of us going, the odds favored that someone would go down with an injury, didn’t they?

We spoke too soon. My dear friend Jess was diagnosed just last week with a metatarsal stress fracture and torn ligament in her ankle. I couldn’t be more bummed for her. Two weeks out from the race–talk about crappy timing.

IMG 1100 224x300 We almost (all) made it

Jess (on left) after our epic trail run in February

But Jess being Jess, she is putting a great face on the whole thing. She’s still coming to Boston with us. She’s still going to have a good time. She even (quite generously) offered to be our errand girl for the race should anyone need it. I find this upbeat attitude pretty amazing. We’re all given the choice in situations like this to suck it up and put a good face on it, or sulk and feel bitter. The evolved part of my brain likes to think I’d behave like Jess given the circumstances, but I know my gut instinct would probably be to throw a few things and pout (you know, basic two-year old behavior).

That’s what makes Jess’s class act so impressive to me. I’m so glad she’ll still be coming to the race and having a good time. Even though she’s not running the race, her complete absence would’ve been a big hole in our overall experience. We’ll still get to share the weekend with her, and after the race, I intend to buy her a big beer for showing us all how to act with grace.

Have you ever had to pull out of an important race in the 11th hour?

Comments

I am very sorry for Jess. She is very kind to come to Boston with you.
    I pulled out at the last minute, it happened last december the night before the Pisa Marathon. From my post: on Saturday afternoon I was in the beautiful city, I left the baggage in hotel and I went to take the bib. But while I was walking through the crowded streets full of lights I received a phone call: “Please come back as soon as possible because there is a storm, 2 ships and 1 pontoon have broken the mooring ropes; the breakwater is closed for the traffic and we don’t know if the line-ships can leave”. At 08.00 p.m. I got home. No marathon.
    Good luck for the marathon! Enjoy the race and the post-race beer!!!!
    Black Knight recently posted..MarchMy Profile

Poor Jess. It’s so incredibly disappointing for her. But it’s great that she’s going to come along and enjoy the experience as much as she can without actually running the thing.
    Char recently posted..Easter WeddingMy Profile

3. SueM says

Tell Jess I fully understand and sympathize with her because I am in the exact same situation! Qualified for Boston – going with a group of my friends – and hurt myself 3 weeks before the race. Sadness can’t even begin to describe how I feel. But I am going along anyhow to support the group. Here’s what I am trying to tell myself:

you qualified.
    you worked hard and no one can take that away from you.
    go to Boston. enjoy the moment.
    do everything as if you were going to run (get bib, shirt, buy a crap of stuff, etc)

remember – the actual running is the icing on the cake – you are a HUGE success because you qualified!

good luck Jess – my thoughts are with you because I am in the exact same boat!

So sorry for your friend. I have not had to pull from a race at the last minute unless you call quitting a race I shouldn’t have been running because of injury. Love that you get to share your weekend with all your friends. My sister and I have been going to the Boston Expo for years and we are so excited to be going this Friday so that I can pick up MY number. :)
    Robin recently posted..Running a Marathon with my HusbandMy Profile

It sounds like you run with some amazing women. Having that kind of support system must be amazing. SO sorry about Jess.. what an inspiration she is. Funny how the person not running can often times be one of the most inspirational. Good luck @ Boston Amanda.. really look forward to screaming your name at my TV set as I watch next week. xo
    LisaM@RunWiki recently posted..Running while on VacationMy Profile

awwww, I feel really bad for your friend Jess. It seems there are so many injuries right now… ugh. But it is a true testament of her great sportsmanship and dedicated friendship that she is still going to go!

as much as it’s tough at the moment to realize, there are many more races to run… it’s just disappointing when you have put in so much work.
    Kristy (@KrisRunTri) recently posted..Week 7 – Butt Crease Mystery Solved!?!My Profile

You scared the heck out of me because i thought YOU got injured at the last minute!!! I am so sorry for Jess though. that is super disappointing. I am so glad she is still coming though and will be able to be a part of the Boston weekend and have a great experience, even though it wasn’t the experience she was hoping for. Hope to meet her ! :)
    Erin Henderson recently posted..Happy Easter!My Profile

My heart goes out to Jess. How disappointing. I’m glad she’s going and will be part of all the festivities the rest of the weekend will bring. What a great sport.
    Although I had 2 marathon DNS’s last fall, knock wood, no 11th hour ones for me.
    Teamarcia recently posted..Brananza! Champion GiveawayMy Profile

Oh, what a bummer for Jess! It’s especially hard that close to the race, when all the training is done. I missed a half this fall, but I had registered really early for it, and knew a good month or two in advance that I would need to miss it when I had shin stress. It’s still disappointing, but it wasn’t Boston!
    Laura recently posted..4 the Park Race Recap and JellyBean runMy Profile

I guess it depends on what you mean by “important.” Important to the masses? No, I don’t think I have run any race that is important to the masses. Important to me? Yes, I have had to drop out weeks before a race that was important to me.
    Jamoosh recently posted..Friday Free For AllMy Profile

Oh, that stinks for Jess. I like to think I’d make the best of the situation, too, but who knows. I’ve been lucky in my short racing history not to have had any races derailed by injury. In fact, running saved me when a hand injury kept me off my bike for 6 weeks.
    Kate recently posted..What makes you so Super, anyway?My Profile

In college, when I was running indoor track, I strained my hip flexor. I hurt myself just days before my pentathlon competition and tried to make a go of it at the event but just could just. I pulled out just minute before the event started and it was the hardest thing I ever had to do. I was so upset but I knew it was best because I didn’t want to hurt myself more. I ended up also missing out on running at regionals with the 4x400m relay team as well which was sad. But I came back for outdoor and ran well so it was worth it to take about 4 weeks off running and then get back into it.
    J recently posted..Thanks, Runners’ WorldMy Profile

13. Becca says

Oh, poor Jess :-( but it does not surprise me at all that she is still going & being supportive!! I miss my running ladies! Boston with you all is still my favorite race experience ever!!!!! Good luck, Amanda, you will do great, can’t wait to hear about it!!!

Can she get a medical waiver so she can run it next year?
    What a friend! I’m sure you are all allowing her the occasional pity party and to throw a few things. Kudos to Jess and kudos to all of you….we runners stick together.
    Can’t wait to meet up!
    Michelle recently posted..It’s Been Quiet Around Here….My Profile

Fortunately, I have not… but it is my biggest fear! Sorry to ghear about Jess. She sounds like an awesome friend and team-mate and I hope she still has an awesome time with all of you. I think I would be pouting in a corner.
    Marlene recently posted..Boston+ Training – Week 14My Profile

Aw that’s rough! But wow, I really admire and respect her ability to still be part of the gang – though of course she’s gotta be crazy disappointed.

Me? I’m at the point where I usually threaten to wrap myself up with bubble-wrap to avoid any injury or illness.
    Lisa recently posted..Rolling out the “runner” carpetMy Profile

In February I trained and was all set for my second half which was important to me because I was going to run faster and fix all the mistakes i had made the first time around. I had an awesome last long run of eleven miles where I felt I could keep going..but then came down with some kind of virus for several weeks. It was no good. My doctor thought I had some sort of auto immune disease but luckily it ended up just being a virus for 3 weeks or so.

I love Jess’s attitude. My son taught me a great lesson in that recently. He’s in 8th grade and had been working hard at flag football practice 5 days a week in the 112 degree weather…but then didn’t get a jersey. The other boys that were going to be dressing either were childish about it throwing fits in front of the coaches etc, but Jaxon kept his chin up. He worked even harder and was pulled off the side line at the first game and given a jersey and put it for several plays. He did awesome and after the game all three coaches went on and on to the entire team, parents and principal about how they all needed to hussle like Jaxon, play hard like Jaxon and have a good attitude like Jaxon. They went on so long it was almost embarrassing like “uh oh the kids will hate him if you say too much”. :) The thing is, kids who didn’t have a jersey weren’t even aloud to ride the team bus to the game. I took Jaxon to the game to still show our support and luckily he was wearing the proper clothes to play though he had no idea they’d pull him out on the field. I was SO SO proud fo him. I went from feeling SO bad he didn’t get a jersey, to being grateful he had that experience. He taught me a lot. xo, Jessica

sweatismysanity.com
    Jessica Washburn@sweatismysanity recently posted..Friday Favs {you may want to sit down}My Profile