Time to pick the throw-aways!

IMG 13451 224x300 Time to pick the throw aways!

The real race-day clothes

I see so many blogs where runners put all kinds of thought into the perfect race day outfit. For me, that end of it is simple–I want practical–lots of pockets for gels, and cool. Plus, I run for Oiselle, so that makes it even easier. Boston morning will see me sporting my Oiselle tank an shorts. Done!

The harder part for me is picking the perfect throw-away outfit. I have so much to choose from in my house! I’ve been racing for a long time, and even though I’ve weeded out literally hundreds of old race tees, I’ve kept a few gems behind for throwaway purposes. Not to mention that I am married to a pack rat who has his own special collection of dated workout wear (yes, I raid his drawers to find this stuff–he never misses it).

That being established, you’ll see why I have a hard time choosing the right ugly clothes to stay warm in leading up to start time. Here are some of my choices this race (and I know you’re jealous):

IMG 13341 150x150 Time to pick the throw aways!

From the days when there were no female sizes, and apparently, no choice in sizes either

IMG 13321 150x150 Time to pick the throw aways!

Probably my favorites--the neon cycling jersey and blue tights, circa 1995.

IMG 1331 e1334000557382 300x224 Time to pick the throw aways!

From the "what the hell is this color" file

I think you’ll agree, my choices are difficult! I’ll be honest, though–I don’t care what my throwaways look like, as long as it is still cold enough to need them race morning. If it’s not, then it definitely will NOT be a good day out on the course.

Do you see a favorite here? What do you usually use for throwaway clothing?

Comments

I like the first picture you posted – I have a knack for over-sized shirts.

Yes, a lot of runners do get stressed when looking for the right race track outfit and that includes me! But, hey I’m just a little girl who loves to wear pretty things especially when running is concerned. For me, it adds excitement and confidence.

Thanks for this post – I truly enjoyed reading it!

I definitely think you need the neon cycling jersey so that I can find you in the coral. :) I had no plans of wearing a tank to the race until 2 days ago…..Where did that forecast come from? Our local weather guy is running Boston and said this morning “Way too early to say it will be that warm.” Let’s hope!
    Robin recently posted..Boston Marathon WeekMy Profile

I usually use race t-shirts and other shirts that I will probably never wear again. I keep some old ones lying around for the very same purpose! If it’s going to be a really cold morning, I may even make a trip to the dollar store or whatever cheap store is nearby and buy full sweats. I did that for NYC a few years ago – looked hideous but I was super warm – and that is ALL that matters!! =)
    Glad to see that the forecast looks clear for Mon – hope it cools down a bit though!!
    Michele @ nycrunningmama recently posted..Dear Saucony: Please Make Maternity Running Clothes!My Profile

When in doubt, always go with neon.

I have a nice collection of end-of-season sweatshirts and sweatpants that I stocked up on at Target one day when I found a good sale. Unfortunately they’re not nearly ugly enough colors, but they’re great for ditching at the starting line. I forgot to pack them when I ran the MCM, so I ended up buying camouflage fleece pajama pants and a hooded sweatshirt that it pained me to throw out. At least I had the military theme going.
    Chris @ Evolving Through Running recently posted..Marching Past March … Towards Tutus?My Profile

I throw away old stuff but I regret big time throwing away this Gap semi hooded sweatshirt, kinda had a waffle sorta knit on the inside. I paid $7 for it on sale but didn’t realize how attached I had gotten to it until it was gone :(
    Coy recently posted..Bike crashes and water parks…My Profile

I LOVE your race outfit. Looks like the weather is going to be a bit toasty, so that will be the perfect thing to wear.

I always find the ugliest old race shirt to throw. Last time I was in Boston, I bought some $8 arm warmers at the expo and those were the best thing EVER!! I didn’t feel bad throwing them and didn’t have to wear bulky throw away clothes at the start.

Getting excited for you!
    Jill recently posted..A small glimpse into summer…..maybeMy Profile

i vote for the 80’s outfit… most definitely.

i somehow always end up buying MORE throwaway clothes (usually because i forgot to bring some). then i just “can’t” throw away that soft fleecy lining of a new sweatshirt/sweatpants so then i end up putting it in gear check… defeating the purpose of throwaway clothes.

Heh heh – those tights are AWESOME! My first pair of running tights were before they made running tights so they were dance tights in a lovely neon blue. I have a drawer full of throwaway clothing and I’m bad at even throwing it away, I’m such a pack rat! Managed to get rid of oversize race shirt AND gross sweater at Cherry Blossom, score! Have a FABULOUS race.
    Alison Gittelman recently posted..Cherry Blossom 10 Mile Race RecapMy Profile

First, I love that you run for Oiselle.. I would love to join you someday and be able to run for them.. the jersey and shorts are beautiful, so will suit you perfect. Second, the neon jersey and blue tights are, oh so Vanilla Ice. I think going from Vanilla Ice to Oiselle will be a very dramatic unveiling at the start line. :)
    LisaM@RunWiki recently posted..Running while on VacationMy Profile

I usually just freeze my buns off before the race. I haven’t gotten to the throwaway stage yet. I would suggest you wear the neon top and pants. They are not only awesome by themselves, but they are doubly cool when worn as a set.
    Kyria recently posted..Currently: AprilMy Profile

It would have helped if you’d shown us what colour shoes you’re trying to match your outfit with. My vote goes with the blue and yellow number. It really makes a statement.
    Char recently posted..Easter WeddingMy Profile