Speed kills

IMG 1353 300x224 Speed kills

The gang's all here--arriving at Logan

At least that’s what the B.A.A. had to say yesterday in the email they sent out to everyone running tomorrow. They’ve actually taken the unprecedented step of offering deferrals to anyone who opts not to start tomorrow because of the predicted heat. They’re recommending that anyone but the “very fit” not run. Is that me? I don’t know. They’re also recommending that anyone who hasn’t had at least 10 days to acclimate to the heat not run. I do fall into that category.  And of course, they are urging anyone with any sort of health conditions stay off the course.

Last I checked, the high is supposed to be 88 at 2 p.m. in Copley Square. I’m not thumbing my nose at the B.A.A.’s email, but I’m still going to toe the line tomorrow, as is everyone in my group. My plan–run at a much slower pace than planned. My goal–to avoid the medical tent. To hopefully not walk (even though the B.A.A. recommends that, too).

I know they B.A.A. has to do a little bit of CYA here. Remember what happened in Chicago a few years back? The B.A.A.certainly does. One big concern here is the bandit runners–an accepted tradition here. But this is one year where having extra feet on the course, and bodies to take needed hydration away, is a real danger.

I’ll admit I’m a bit scared to try this. If it weren’t for the money invested to get here, the time spent to train, etc., etc., I’d probably bag it. But I’m here, I came to run, and so run I will.

Good luck to everyone starting tomorrow. Be safe, be smart.

• No Related Posts

Comments

I am anxious about running but not scared. It is going to suck but be hopefully pretty amazing at the same time. I am running, but like you taking it as easy as possible. Lots of slow running and taking it all in. I don’t even have as much money as most people into this race, but my heart is in it. I would be incredibly upset if I didn’t run because I have been waiting so long. Good luck and be safe tomorrow!
    Robin recently posted..Boston Marathon DeferralMy Profile

You’re a smart woman, and adjusting your race day game plan is the best way to go. Wish we could control the weather, but sadly we cannot. I actually ran Chicago in 2007 when it was shut down because of all the race day chaos, and man oh man I wouldn’t wish that experience on anyone. I was a stubborn idiot who refused to adjust my race plan and nearly killed myself by mile 9 where I had to drop out.

PR’s and speedy times are all great, but sometimes just being able to be in that crowd taking in the day is a far more valuable experience. I for one feel that this is what the entire purpose of training is, to work as hard as you can to be able to overcome whatever adversity may come your way on race day. But that’s just my opinion…

Safe and well wishes to you!
    Britt @ Chicago Runner Girl recently posted..Just a wee bit of growthMy Profile

This is crazy. Reminds me of the last time I ran Boston when it was 87 at the start (noon). Not sure my plan yet. I think plan is to stick to original plan and slow down as necessary. White hat, fuel belt probably and paying attention to my body.

4. Leah says

Isn’t Boston supposed to be elite? I can’t believe they offered defferals, I have run marathons in 90+ conditions, just took it easier. I guess they don’t want lawsuits from type A die hards that refuse to modify their pace, but stll, Boston is becoming such a joke. So many better marathons out there!

My husband ran the 2004 hot race and quickly adjust his race plan within the first few miles. He dubbed that race “the high five race” – taking the time to high five the kids and thus preserving his energy for the full 26.2.

I’m lucky he’ll be by my side tomorrow :) And I’m lucky he’s got 19/I’ve got 9 marathons under our belts. We’ve adjusted before and though we definitely respect the course, mother nature, and the BAA’s warnings, we too will be toeing the line in Hopkinton.

Not optimal, but it doesn’t have to be a debacle. If we listen to our bodies, we’ll be OK.

Good luck to everyone w/ your decisions for tomorrow and for getting to the finish for those who start.
    Lisa recently posted..So sweetMy Profile

I don’t think they are going to get many deferrals. Everyone should just slow down and pay attention, like you are planning to do. Good luck and enjoy, Amanda! I think you will have a great time, heat or not.
    Terzah recently posted..California Dreamin’My Profile

Everyone talks about the heat of Chicago, but no one talks of the heat at the CMM in Nashville 2009. I ran that marathon in 96 degrees. It was terrible. Pacers finished 20-30 minutes off. They didn’t call the race even after someone died doing the half. There was a point when I decided it wasn’t worth killing myself over. I walked the last two miles. I did do salt packets at the race – never done them before. One at the beginning and another at mile 7. Ran under sprinklers every chance I could. I hope you and everyone else there tomorrow plays it safe and has a good race. Look forward to reading about your finish. Happy miles!
    Lynne recently posted..My Running PartnerMy Profile

You know your body, so I know you’ll listen to it well. Drink more water than usual, and drink more gatorade/electrolyte/salt things. You’ll be fine, you’ve run in hottttt weather before, you can do this :) Good luck!!! I’ll be thinking of you!!! Have fun out there!
    Erin recently posted..FaceliftMy Profile

9. Lynda @ Hit The Road Jane says

Please be careful.Good luck to you and all the runners braving the weather. You worked hard to get to Boston and that attitude of perseverance doesn’t go away once you BQed so its understandable that many of you are choosing to forge ahead. Rock the course like the strong athletes you are! I know you’ll all support each other out there.
    Lynda @ Hit The Road Jane recently posted..Mimosa Beach Run & Marathon DecisionMy Profile

You are going to have a great race! You are smart to adjust your goals but either way, it is STILL BOSTON!!! I ran in Twin Cities in 2007 where the temp at start was 67 and finish was 89, it stunk but it acclimatized me for Chicago in 2008 where it was 82 when I finished and I PR’d.

Soak up the atmosphere and enjoy the day Miss Zippy! We’ll be cheering for you and the Chocolate Ladies in the RunSingTeach house!

:-)
    Sarah @ RunSingTeach recently posted..The Running Leash ConundrumMy Profile

I can’t imagine training for months, spending a boat load of money to travel to Boston, and then choosing to defer until next year. No thank you! If I was there, I’d be running too. It’s going to be tough…but you’re tough, so it will be just fine. Can’t wait for your recap!

You should all train with me in Miami and you’d be fine :) I think a defferal would be hard to emotionally accept after the months of with to get there, but I suppose if it was not only your a race but a major dream to pr there it would maybe be with the extra wait

Will keep you and all the others running tomorrow in Boston in my prayers. Definitely not the time to be stupid. I can totally understand the BAA doing the ole’ CYA, but seems like folks should be able to adjust for the conditions. If they are “fit” enough to BQ, seems like they should be able to manage.
    Christina recently posted..Ava Brown Memorial 5KMy Profile

I’m so proud of you for QUALIFYING for Boston and I’m so proud of you for making the decision to run! I feel badly for y’all and yes, it’s going to be extra tough, but so are BQers!
    We run in the heat a lot here in Texas. Heck, we PLAN races around the heat and I’ve got a “secret” for you. You know to drink, you know to pour water on your head but let me tell you. ICE IN YOUR JOG BRA. If you can find it, cram it I there. Ideally wrapped in a paper towel or a cold sponge but in Galveston I just threw it I there free. Helps keep your core cool and it’s a breezy surprise!

I’ll be praying for your safety on Marathon Monday – hope you have an incredible race!
    That Pink Girl recently posted..I’m a Cheap DateMy Profile

Be safe! Those are like the running conditions here in the desert in July (sans humidity though-yikes!). Not fun, but you can do it with a slow pace and lots of hydration. Hey, there has to be a little relief in how the pressure is off to race a particular time, huh? ;-) Soak it in and have fun with your friends! Have a great race!
    Allison Johnson recently posted..RUTMy Profile

The heat was a big factor on the trails yesterday for me. Going from our hail/snow to 80+ temps so my biggest challenge. You have been at this long enough to know to just be careful so that you have a fun and successful day.
    shelly recently posted..6000 Miles ~ BelieveMy Profile

Good luck tomorrow! I’m sure you’ll do great. You’re smart enough to know to listen to your body and slow down when needed, etc. I’ll be thinking of you.
    Ara recently posted..Meat HeadsMy Profile

A little ol’ 88 degrees! Pshaw! If I can survive a marathon in the 90s without additonal water stations and warm water after Mile 20, then you are smart enough to run Boston in a safe manner. I have faith.
    Jamoosh recently posted..Free For All FridayMy Profile

It sounds like you have a sensible plan and will stay safe. You have a good point about the bandits. I hope they monitor that closely.

But wow! Those emails are pretty something. Have you heard many talk about waiting to next year?

Those sorts of warnings are enough to really screw with your mind. I’m not surprised that you’ve had to think and I’m not surprised about your decision. Good luck for tomorrow and I’d have said God Speed but I think God Slow might be more appropriate.
    Char recently posted..The Problem With EasterMy Profile

You’re a wise person with loads of experience. Whether you’re the fittest of the fit, doesn’t matter. You know how to listen to your body. You know how to play it smart. You’ll have a GREAT time and a super run :)
    XLMIC recently posted..X = 10 …My Profile

you are a healthy, smart athlete, I’m sure it went VERY well. Our local, Texas news was urging people that weren’t “very fit”, as you said, not to run the race too…I thought, Hmm…how will they decide whether they are “very fit” or just “fit” LOL. hope every one listened to their bodies and it was a safe race?
    marissa recently posted..excuses.My Profile