Smelling the roses

I’ve really enjoyed this past week of downtime from training. I haven’t been completely idle, but I have taken it considerably easier than normal. My past week’s training has looked like this:

• Tuesday–nada
  • Wednesday–30-min. spin on the bike
  • Thursday–1,000 yd. swim/3-mile run
  • Friday–One hour spin on the bike
  • Saturday–8-mile run
  • Sunday–2,000 yd. swim/2-mile run with my daughter at her pace
IMG 1385 224x300 Smelling the roses

Downtime has been nice this week (in my Boston shirt, of course!)

Today, Monday, I am doing nothing at all. Tomorrow I’ll start easing back into more mileage, but for this week, it’s still all going to be at an easy pace and mileage will still be reduced. I am determined to get my sorry swimming self to the pool at least two times. I’ve missed it and would like to regain some semblance of swimming shape. Plus it’s a mere four weeks until the outdoor pools open again, which makes swimming more convenient and more enjoyable for me–I want to be able to take advantage of that.

And because my recovery policy includes indulging in things I don’t normally do, I’ve eaten my share of good food this week and imbibed in my share of good wine. It’s been nice.

But here’s where I know how much I love running and training. A week of this has been great, but I already find myself raring to get back to normal on all fronts. Normal training, normal eating/drinking, the whole deal. It all goes back to the yin/yang of life–you need these contrasts in order to appreciate the life you have carved out for yourself.

How much slacking can you take before it starts to get to you?

Comments

After Eugene I am taking 2 weeks off with zero running. I might spin and lift weights, but no running for me. I have usually started running sometime after a week, even if it was only a couple of miles. These 2 weeks might be rough, but I know that I really need it. I could probably actually use more since I have running hard since last January. We will see what my coach says….
    Tasha @ Healthy Diva recently posted..Weekend away!My Profile

I think it’s hard to step out of these routines even when it’s what’s best for our bodies. I think that’s why most of us have a hard time taking the rest days when we are injured, etc. I’m glad that you are enjoying the downtime. You’ll be back at it very soon!
    Raquelita recently posted..Adventures in Oral SurgeryMy Profile

I had a pretty easy week as well, only 5 miles of running in total and doing nothing the rest of the time. I’m back at it this week, going into my previous plan two weeks out from the marathon as I’m considering a May 6 marathon…the plan is still ligther at this point, and the running will be pretty easy. A good slack is essential every now and then! I took a whole week off in February to go on vacation.
    Robin Brunet recently posted..Boston Experience III – Official Race PhotosMy Profile

congrats on surviving Boston 2012 in the brutal heat. so smart to adjust the pace from the start. nice recovery plan too. I’m currently taking a 3 week pause from running to recover from Blue Ridge 26.2. so hard to do, but important for me to keep running healthy.
    ginny recently posted..Oh What A Day @ the Blue Ridge MarathonMy Profile

Um, yeah. Totally love your shirt =) Glad you are taking it easy and smelling the roses. But I can understand getting a little anxious. After just a couple days I started freaking out. With my wonky foot I swear I was losing my mind until I finally was able to at least ride on the training and swim. Running is my medicine. If I don’t have it I go CRAZY!
    Heidi @BananaBuzzbomb recently posted..Buzz: Be A Smart Athlete And Listen To Your BodyMy Profile

6. CJ says

Ahh…the slacking. It really only feels good when it’s earned, right? Sometimes even a day of slacking feels like too much. There’s progress to be made! Miles…reps…laps… Then the body says: you’ve worked really hard; let me take a break and recover. It’s best not to wait for the “or else” on that one. But after a few days, it feels good to put everything back in line.

I’m not a good slacker which is great I suppose. I find a week hard and would normally not be idle for more than two days. I do listen to my body though and after a tough ultra or mountain race I will slack as needed. I love the shirt in that pic! Have a great week!
    Johann recently posted..Monday MusingsMy Profile

It’s so funny that this week constitutes slacking for you. Most people would see that workout summary and think “whoa! that’s a lot of exercise”. I can’t go too long without feeling like complete crap. To be honest, I currently feel like complete crap because my workouts just feel lousy. I want to RUN again! But I watched that movie, 50/50, while on the elliptical last night and thought I should probably quit my bitching. Nothing like a movie about cancer to put you in your place. :)
    Kate @ Run with Kate recently posted..Spectating the Foxy Trail Half MarathonMy Profile

I always think it must sound so funny to non-runners to hear how hard it is for us runners to take a break for recovery! I just finished the RRCA coaching course yesterday and realized that my version of ” recovery” hasn’t truly been recovery in the true sense! I guess we’re a bunch of (running!) freaks, but I’m grateful to be a part of the “club” :) Congrats on your Boston accomplishment!
    GreenGirlRunning recently posted..A Recovery Week & RRCAMy Profile

I think you should BOSTON apparel all week! You earned it! Where is your medal? That should still be around your neck.

I like your recovery, listening to your body, savoring another form of activity.

THANK YOU for your continued advice in regards to my running & PF–You are a valuable resource and mentor to so many!
    Jess @ Blonde Ponytail recently posted..Running Used to be Easy.My Profile

That first week backing off is always nice… but then I find my body ready for more. You’re right about the balance, I love the way training cycles have highs and lows, and I can enjoy both for different reasons.
    Laura recently posted..Track dateMy Profile

Good for you for resting!
    But I’m with you… more than a few days of rest and I start getting antsy to get up and moving again!
    And… I also need to get back in the pool. I think I’m going to make that a goal as soon as this teaching semester is officially over!
    Beth (i run like a girl) recently posted..Rules for running attireMy Profile

I would wear that Boston shirt all week long! Especially after the grueling temps and toughing that out. It’s funny to me that an 8 mile run might ever be considered part of a mild week. I long for the days where I’ve built up to that thought, ha ha :-)
    Christina recently posted..Finally, a decent longer run!My Profile

I usually allow myself a few days before I start to feel antsy and itching to get back out there. 4-5 is the most I can go =) Glad to hear that you had a relaxing week/weekend!! Hope your easy week of running is enjoyable =)
    Michele @ nycrunningmama recently posted..Running a CityMy Profile

I think everyone loves a little down time after a race. I have a race this weekend and I can’t wait to let myself eat a few treats post race, but come Monday since I am still in training for the marathon, Ill be back on schedule. I know I always feel better when I am consistently training and eating right!
    J recently posted..Where’s Spring?My Profile

It’s great that you are having some down time. And I love that shirt! I thought it would be orange!

I can only stand a couple of days. If I travel, the day I fly, I feel like I am wasting valuable running time! I went to my parents house this weekend, so I did my long run on Wednesday, but I still felt lost on Saturday, like I was missing something, like I should be doing something…but what? It’s weird. Also, I don’t really crave crappy food. Or if I do, after I eat it, right after, I regret it. So what’s the point!?

Although I do like a nice glass of wine from time to time.
    Kyria recently posted..Weekly DoingsMy Profile

I’m in full lazy mode! I’m enjoying the break mentally, but kind of itching to get back into a routine. I’m working on my half ironman plan now. :)

Enjoy the downtime! Those swims & spins are probably PERFECT for recovery.
    Marlene recently posted..Boston Marathon Race ReportMy Profile