I need a 2nd mortgage

IMG 1391 224x300 I need a 2nd mortgage

Merrells and Vivos, and Kigos, oh my!

I’m not a clothes horse–I go nowhere, people, but on runs, walking kids to school, errands, and the occasional night out. So I don’t spend a ton on looking trendy. A few key pieces and I’m good to go.

But it hit me yesterday, I DO have a bit of a minimalist shoe addiction. In fact, I’m pretty sure I could be called the Imelda of minimalism. Now, when you look at this collection of nine (and a new one added today that is on order) pairs of shoes, keep in mind that several of them were gifts from the shoe companies to review on this blog. But still, 10 total pairs of minimalist shoes?

Let me justify: I have a couple of pairs for road running, a couple of pairs for trails (the new ones I just ordered fit this category), and several pairs for just living. There are Merrells, Vibram Five Fingers (which I’ve never liked), and New Balance in that crop. The cute Merrell barefoot Mary Janes in the tan color (second from top), I bought this week because I have a conference coming up where I need to look somewhat professional. When I started thinking about wearing heels or stiff-souled shoes for two full days, I just couldn’t do it. So I found these.

My days of “real” shoes are pretty much over, I’ve decided. I live in my bare feet as much as possible, and when I can’t, well, you know what IS on my feet. Still, I am officially putting myself in shoe buying jail for the near future. The good news for you all is that I’ll soon have a review of the Altra Instinct Delilahs (in the picture) up, along with a giveaway. So I do serve a purpose with all this excess, clearly.

Anyone else go a little crazy with shoes, either running or street?

Comments

1. Emily says

If it makes you feel any better, I have two pairs of the Merrell mary janes. They are so comfortable so I wear them all the time. Pretty much the best shoe ever. The pink is great, but I have gotten tons of compliments on the guava pair. Oh, and I just ordered a third pair in black, so I guess that makes three pairs!

I’ve definitely been a bit a of running shoe freak over the past two years. Luckily, I seem to finally be reigning it in, it can get out of control!
    abbi recently posted..Hungry?My Profile

Yes! I rarely throw out old running shoes. In our guest bathroom hidden under the cabinets I have a huge basket full of running trainers and flats. Sometimes I wear old racing flats out with jeans and a t-shirt. They are comfy! I’ll never five up my running shoe addiction.
    Kris Lawrence recently posted..You’re My Favorite MistakeMy Profile

I’m only laughing because my collection is similar. I really want a pair of the mary janes by Merrell (since I live in the other two Merrells I have), but I’m also hanging out in shoe jail right now. I really want to try the Altra’s too…
    MCM Mama recently posted..DiscombobulatedMy Profile

I dream of the day someone would GIVE me running shoes as my husband looks at my crossways every time I buy a pair even though he understands they have to be replaced. The good news is that for “work” (which some days, now that I am self-employed, includes slippers), I go with the “man shoe” philosophy: brown or black. I have one pair of black heels, one pair of brown heels, one pair of brown Eastlands that go with Docker style pants and one pair of black knock off brand loafer style like that. Good enough. But in general, I find triathlon does require more financial investment than I would like.
    Christina recently posted..Life nearly got in the wayMy Profile

I just started wearing minimalist shoes and love them. Bought a pair of New Balance Minimus and ordered another pair (different color) within the same week. But I am loving those Mary Jane’s! Must buy immediately!
    Pamela recently posted..Tick TockMy Profile

I am a confessed addict, as well as a shoe girl (I’m a co-owner of kigo footwear). I feel your pain, so I’d like to offer you a treat.

If you use the code GOZIPPY at checkout, you’ll get 25% off any kigo footwear purchase (http://www.kigofootwear.com). It’s good thru May 4.

In a nutshell, kigos are super light (+/- 4oz per), anatomically shaped (like those great minimalist running shoes), totally flexible and eco-friendly. They come in cute mary janes or slip ons that are styled for everyday but strong enough for the gym.

Something from me to you, because I love me some Miss Zippy, and feel the pain of shoe addiction. (Just ask my husband.)

Rock on. Rachelle
    Rachelle recently posted..Run. Inspire.My Profile

I have worn the same model of shoes since 2002 (Brooks Adrenaline) and have never tried minimalist shoes before. They intrigue me, however, I have always required more support for my bad knees. I am not sure if I could ever wear something that didn’t support them. I tried Nike Frees and they totally ruined me, worst decision ever. Maybe someday I will be brave and try a a minimalist shoe.
    Tasha @ Healthy Diva recently posted..Taper CraziesMy Profile

I have a serious shoe collecting problem. Mine starts with convincing myself that I need new shoes before I actually do :) My husband just loves it! NOT! :) HAHAHA!

Any opinion on that new Merrell Glove Dash shoe!? I’ve been checking it out and thinking about a pair. The Nike Free’s were a super easy transition but I think I could scale back even more.
    Coy recently posted..NYC Marathon. I’m spreading the news.My Profile

O buys lots of shoes too. I sort of tell myself that I need a new pair, but in reality I just want to try something else. And then I ge t a new model, and you know what? I don;t really like them all that much, so I move on to something else. If I just stuck to what I know and like I would have/need like 3 pairs.

And I am not into the minimalist thing. Have you tried Brooks Pure line? They look cool. I have a pair of Nike LunarEclipse (not minimalist I know, but related) and love them on the treadmill.
    NY Wolve recently posted..Random thoughts…My Profile

I have a serious running shoe addiction, too. And working for a running company certainly doesn’t help :) I love the Merrell mary-jane’s – so cute. My mom has a pair, too and LOVES them!!
    melody recently posted..{one week later}My Profile

I love ya, and I love that you came to dinner in Boston in your VIbrams, since Pam had given my grief about wearing “ugly” shoes with my dress, and mine were dressier than yours. :)

I only wear one type of running shoe and have a few totally flat pairs of shoes that I wear when I am not running, although most of the time I am home and am completely barefoot because I hate wearing shoes.

That said, I have many pairs of my Pureflows… I usually have 3 pairs in rotation and several “in the wings” and then a few under the bed that have too many miles to run in but are good for other stuff. And running 300 miles a month I go through them QUICKLY. It is a good thing I am a “cheap date” and low maintenance otherwise. :)
    Erin Henderson recently posted..Three yearsMy Profile

Combine a love for shoes, the constant search for the best shoe for my broken foot, and part-time work in a runner store and you get a crazy closet. I wish I was at home to take a picture…but I’ll try to list them.

Regular Running
    Brooks Ghost
    Brooks Glycerin
    2 pairs of Brooks Cascadia (actually used for running)
    Zoot Slip On tri shoe
    Mizuno Creation (actually used for running)
    Mizuno Nirvana
    Ascis Cumulus (actually used for running)
    Newton Gravitas (actually used for running)

Minimalist Running/Fashion (regular wear only)
    2 pr. Merrell Fashion shoes (like the tan ones in your picture)
    1 Dash Glove
    1 Pace Glove
    1 Pace Mary Jane
    NB Minimus
    NB 105
    Saucony A4

I might need an intervention or someone to steal my credit card and cut it up. :-)
    Sarah @ RunSingTeach recently posted..7 Day Veg ChallengeMy Profile

I am currently running in my Altra intuitions and I’m finding the transition nice :) I am already running “normal” and so I’ve been super focused on strength and rhythm – I don’t think I’ll go back either!
    Ali Mc recently posted..Races….is it too early?My Profile

Shoes for street = yes!! LOL. I am a huge fan of cute flats and have them in every color and design possible. Running shoes are different b/c I basically wear one brand/type and don’t feel the need to deviate from there. I guess b/c I’ve had no injuries I feel that I want to stick with what is working…you know? =)
    Michele @ nycrunningmama recently posted..ING NYC Marathon Opening DayMy Profile

Nice collection. Is it just me, or do they all look kind of new? ;-)
    My collection is not so shabby either but I am getting more and more into BAREfoot running so I don’t see me buying new running shoes in the near future (or ever???)
    Ewa recently posted..Old traditionsMy Profile

Wow impressive collection. I am usually not a fan of shoes either. I tried to do my assessment sans shoes today for a fitness test and they were like “you need to wear those” ugg.

What is it about the 5fingers you don’t like? I just won a pair and am curious about feedback. I’ve heard people say they’re not good for running, just for walking…are you against them all together?
    Julie (@ROJRunning) recently posted..CVNP Fun Run and Initial Salomon Speedcross ReviewMy Profile

Ha! This is awesome… I am well on my way to more running shoes than “normal” shoes– although I just donated a bunch of older shoes for recycling, so my collection isn’t as big as yours. But I definitely pay attention to my other shoes and definitely avoid heels or extreme unnatural options.
    Laura recently posted..Practice makes perfect and wiawMy Profile

Amanda,

Thanks for sharing. When the cash gets tight just go barefoot. i own a running store and have way fewer shoes than my family members and almost any runner….and they last a really long time.

Mark Cucuzzella

You have a nice collection going! I worked at Nordstrom in the shoe department for 8 years. I have a “few” pairs of shoes. Just a few. Dozen. And maybe some boots.

As for running shoes, I tend to keep one new pair and one older pair until the older pair goes kaput, in which I retire said older pair and the new(er) pair becomes the old pair and I buy a new pair. Therefore, I usually have two pairs. Right now I have three, because I kept the really old pair for muddy trails, of which there are many these days!
    Kyria recently posted..Use This: The LibraryMy Profile

Just got directed here by Jess/Blonde Ponytail’s post. 5 weeks into my PF & no running and not knowing when I’ll ever get back has led me to the decision to ditch all my “regular” shoes too. Today, I wore my new Merrell glove delight’s to work. Super cute & comfy! I’ve been trying to figure out which brands besides Merrell offer a work-appropriate shoe. I’ll have to check those Vivos & Kigos too?!
    alma recently posted..Denied again – phew!My Profile

I do have a few running shoes that I rotate and a few that our shot but I keep for running errands and such.
    If you look at my closet you would know I workout……a lot and dress up……never.
    I think I need to stop buying running cloths. That’s my real downfall.
    Missy recently posted..Running in the rain…..or notMy Profile

I am the same way! I work from home so I don’t really need a huge stylish wardrobe and don’t buy all that much in clothing (although running has completely changed my physiology so I do need new clothing pieces now). But, shoes is my one splurge. My money goes to the love of shoes and I have so many. Well, we are women, aren’t we? ;-)
    Christina recently posted..Touring parts of Northern Italy with a young childMy Profile

I guess having a shoe problem is a common thing among us runners. :) I guess we were reading each other’s blogs at the same time. I really want to love minimalist running shoes. If only my legs would behave so that I could run in them. I am going to work on it this summer.
    Robin recently posted..When to Retire Running ShoesMy Profile