How’s your balance? (and a MOTOACTV winner)

Can you stand on one leg for 30 seconds? Go try it…..

How’d you do? Maybe not so hot, huh? I was like that not too long ago, but after some concerted effort, I’m much improved. Check out my video below to learn why balance is key to running, and how to improve it. I forgot to mention it in the video, but do this easy drill in your bare feet–shoes help you cheat and they won’t help you develop the key muscles you need for good balance.

If you were among the many, many people jonesing for the Motorola MOTOACTV watch, the winner (selected by random.org) is #23, Michel from BabyWeightMyFatAss! Congrats Michel–I’m excited for you!

And speaking of excited, I have a run tomorrow with a living legend, just the two of us for six miles. I am beyond giddy and will give all the details and pics on Monday. Hint–her initials are J.B.S.

Comments

Funny – this was one of my PT exercises but since I do that all the time in yoga I found it easy…until the PT told me to do it with my eyes closed! Much harder!

Hmmm, JBS….I think I know who that is and if so, that is MEGA cool! Just the two of you?! Even better! What are you going to ask her? Are you worried you won’t be able to keep up? (I would be!)
    Alison Gittelman recently posted..(Almost) FamousMy Profile

Have a great run! Balance is actually something I seem to be OK with most of the time. Congrats to the winner of the watch too, that looks like a really great one to try!
    abbi recently posted..Hungry?My Profile

3. CJ says

How awesome to run with Joan! Will somebody stalk you guys to get a pic? Hope so!

Are you running Iron Girl on Sunday?

Laura at TRT convinced me to stand on one leg almost everywhere I go. So now I’m now that weird lady who stands in line at Walmart, the grocery store, the gas station, the library, etc on one leg!

And hooray for you! Running with Joan! woot!!
    Tracy recently posted..Wilderness Wednesday [on Thurs]My Profile

I assume JBS stands for Joan Benoit Samuelson – have fun running with her! When she came to run the Masters nationals 5k last fall it was amazing to run with her. her little legs just go so fast and she runs so fast too!

I need to do more balance exercises – We do a lot in the yoga class I go to but thats about it.
    J recently posted..WIAW: Mac ‘n Cheese TacosMy Profile

I’ve been working on my balance a lot. I need to be working on my balance a lot. I can’t believe how fast it deteriorates after I stop my balance training. Love Bosu ball squats.
    Ewa recently posted..Old traditionsMy Profile

My balance is good but I have been working on it for quite a while. :)

I can’t wait to hear about your run with JBS!!!!!! How awesome and amazing is that? I am crazy excited for you.
    Erin Henderson recently posted..Three yearsMy Profile

When you write about this tomorrow please write about how it happened. I am dying of curiosity. How will you sleep tonight? Have fun!!!

Congrats to Michele! Lucky you! :)

As for balance, I have no problem standing on one leg. Usually my balance is pretty good (guess the fear of falling off the horses forced it on me), but there are those days when my feet can best be described as “round” and two feet are required to stay vertical. :)

Have a great run this weekend. Good to hear you’re feeling 100%.
    Joanne recently posted..Friday MusingsMy Profile

Ok, so after my last marathon, I was with friends playing Wii Fit. Part of the Wii Fit assessment is to balance on one leg. I have a bum right knee, so I balance on my left leg. That, and about 14 beers, meant I stood like 5 seconds. My Wii Fit age: 72. No joke.

My balance is pretty poor. Could be the whole not running much and NOT doing all the strength and stability exercises that my number 1 son gave me. Eventually I will get back into it and I know the improvements happen pretty quickly.
    Char recently posted..Riding the Roller CoasterMy Profile