There’s clarity in my future

And by that, I mean better vision. I’ve been a contact wearer for some 30 years (yeah, longer than many of you have been around, I know!). I have been faithful to those little discs, eschewing glasses, avoiding lasik for years out of fear. I pretty much thought I ‘d wear them forever.

But of late, I’ve kind of started getting annoyed with my contacts. I guess it’s an age thing. Any more, if I wear my contacts for a long, early morning run, by mid-day they are so dried out and uncomfortable, all I can think about is taking them out. Then there’s the fact that I have to put on cheaters now and then to read small type. Two types of vision issues? Ugh.

So, I am going for a consult today about lasik. I’m pretty excited to ditch my contacts, I must say. But I hear from others that you have to go without contacts for a week or two leading up to the procedure? And that I won’t be able to run for seven days post-procedure. Small potatoes in the grand scheme of things, but it will be a long week, no doubt. And when I go for my consult today, if all is a go, I just might be scheduling that procedure for the after I return from Boston. Pretty good planning, don’t you think?

340x oc6q1 l4snw Theres clarity in my future

Don't be jealous of this look.

Perhaps the best thing of all, I hear you get to wear sunglasses like these post-procedure. Don’t hate.

Who else has had lasik? Tell me you love it and it is all worth it.

Comments

I have really been debating getting it. My eye sight isn’t bad but I really don’t like contacts so I end up wearing my glasses a lot which I don’t really like.
    It still freaks me out a bit.
    Laura recently posted..The GSD weekendMy Profile

It seems like everyone who has this done is happy with the results but I’ve never seriously considered it either (but now kind of wish I had when I had this medical reimbursement thing that would’ve covered most of it!). Wearing glasses for a week before would be hard for me – I can’t stand them!
    abbi recently posted..Chambersburg Half Marathon – Race RecapMy Profile

I’m not a candidate due to extremely poor vision and very thin cornea. I went to two different consults, too. There is an alternate procedure, in which an artificial lens is actually inserted, but it is insanely expensive (like 5 times the cost of Lasik).
    Gracie recently posted..Stupid time changeMy Profile

I’ve been fortunate to never have to wear glasses or contacts (until recently when old age is creeping in and I need them to read)….but I bet it would be a huge relief not to deal with them any longer. Hope the consult goes well!
    Jill recently posted..I’m Coming HomeMy Profile

My mom got LASIK and had MAJOR problems that are irreversible…she had a condition in which she shouldn’t have gotten it but the dr didn’t tell her about it..she is now virtually blind at night when driving and experiences “starburst vision” when she sees lights/headlights…not trying to scare you but just giving you all sides and make sure you pick your dr wisely! She and about 10 others went through a very long lawsuit! Good luck!

I would have Lasik if I could afford it, but I admit it’s a bit scary…what if something happens and I go blind. Sorry, that’s not being reassuring. My contacts bother me sooner in the day than they used to too and my coworkers joke that they always know which days I run and those I don’t by seeing if I’m wearing glasses or not!

Rockin’ the Grandma shades, love it! A couple people I know who’ve had lasik were quite happy with the results but none of them were runners so I can’t speak to how quickly one might safely resume activity. I do know my one friend went back to work after the procedure. Good luck!

I’ve had glasses for about 15 years. I see relatively ok with my left eye enough that I don’t wear correction when I swim, but the only sunglasses I own are Rx so I ride/run with them (though I could take them off and be ok). When I asked about Lasik several years ago, I was told I’d still need glasses some of the time (for reading and moreso as I age) and I really don’t find glasses that much of a pain in the butt so I saved the money and stuck with them. That said, I’ve been having trouble with them sliding when I sweat and need to find a solution to that.
    Christina recently posted..MMNW Win + 4 milesMy Profile

My father in-law had it around their 70th birthday. Pre-Lasik they wore big thick glasses; post Lasik, nothing. The difference was incredible. He said he regretted not doing it 10 years earlier.
    NY Wolve recently posted..Running with a ColdMy Profile

10. Lori Connors says

I had LASIK done 15 years ago and am still enjoying awesome results! Procedure was over and done with in 20 minutes for both eyes. Best money I ever spent:-)

I get the heebie jeebies when I think about lancing the eyeballs haha.

Heather has thought about it a bunch but has read that “engineers are not good patients for Lasik surgery” because of their attention to detail and that there have been reports of engineers seeing things in their final “product”.

Everyone I have talked to has had a GREAT experience and LOVES the outcome. Hope all goes well :)
    Matt Oravec recently posted..Adjustments…My Profile

I hope your consultation goes well!! I had LASIK in January and I was out of contacts for 3 weeks prior, which was annoying but not the end of the world. The week after was long with no running, but the weeks after the first week were even harder because I couldn’t get sweat in my eyes. Even with my little complaints IT IS WORTH IT!!!!!! My vision was 20/20 when I woke up from my post-procedure nap (so 3 hours after LASIK I had perfect vision)!!! And a few more !! because I’m excited for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Suzy recently posted..New Shoes!My Profile

DO IT!! It is awesome! I had mine done right after my marathon so the week off didn’t bother me at all!
    It is super, super fast. It is a little creepy weird but so fast you don’t really have time to think about it until it is over.
    Make sure you rest and take the Tylenol pm to sleep right afterwards. When you wake up you will be floored at how awesome your vision is. It has been over a year now and I still get shocked by the things I see.
    It is amazing.
    Missy recently posted..Let them eat cakeMy Profile

Good for you! I’ve worn contacts for years but as you get older, they become more problemsome…the dryness as well as not being able to see close. Now I have one contact for near and one for far and it works great. As far as the dryness, I have switched there too and wear one day accuvue moist.

I wish I had done LASIK years ago. DO IT! I’ve only heard good things.
    Darlene recently posted..Staying Positive…Ain’t EasyMy Profile

15. Lisa says

I had it done 8 years ago when I turned 40. I had very thin corneas so they could not do lasik (with the flaP) so they did the original PRK procedure. It turned out great. Before that, I could not see anything without my glasses, I was terribly near-sighted. However, the older I get the more I have to wear glasses for reading. I wish I had done it way earlier. It is great though to be able to see when I wake up or in the shower or while swimming, etc. AS for the cost I paid for it through my employer’s flexible spending plan. It did suck to have to wear glasses before the surgery though.

I had RK surgery 12 years ago and it was great. I could roll over and actually see the numbers on the clock without my glasses. That’s how bad my vision was. But since I had RK (what was available at the time) I was told I could never wear contacts again due to my astigmatism’s. Now that I am getting older I will most likely eventually (problem soon!) need reading glasses. Most people eventually do need that help.
    Michel@Babyweightmyfatass recently posted..Murphy’s LawMy Profile

17. Heather says

I had LASIK 8 yrs ago & it’s some of the best money I’ve ever spent. Great results & it makes being active/athletic so much easier. I say go for it:)

Remember that Lasik doesn’t address presbyopia…i.e. the need for reading glasses. This is caused by aging and there is nothing you can do about it. They can correct you base prescription so you don’t need the contacts for seeing far, but you’ll still need some reading glasses 8( (For most people they start to notice this in the early forties.)

I don’t like contacts (except disposables for skiing and diving) so I have ‘progressive’ lenses that are made so they are good for seeing far at the top and close at the bottom. Sort of a continous gradation bifocal, if that makes any sense.

One big reason I did NOT want lasik is that because I am very nearsighted if get really close to something (inches) I can see it extremely well. Great for close work.

If I got lasik I would not be able to focus on up close things wtihout glasses. It would just be blurry..I would have to back off or put on glasses.. So for close work things..and um, seeing my loved ones face up close, I demurred on Lasik.

HTH, Good luck w/ ur decision!
    Paul recently posted..Weekly recap: 7 weeks to EugeneMy Profile

All my husband’s siblings got it with good luck. I wear glasses – had contacts once and hated them. I don’t mind my glasses at all so don’t see going there myself but good luck to you.

Oh, I would do lasik in a heartbeat if I could fund it. My dad has had great success with it. I have heard that here in CO some people have issues with dry eyes afterwards, but to be able to ditch the contacts (which feel like dry eyes anyway) would be worth always carrying saline drops in my purse.
    Terzah recently posted..Physical Therapy–Second VisitMy Profile

I just wear specs and have since I was 10. Tried the contacts thing but I just wasn’t comfortable. I’ll be really interested to hear how the Lasik goes for you. I’ve always been a little curious.
    Char recently posted..It’s My Birthday!My Profile

I SOOO want to have lasik but I can’t because my corneas are not thick enough :( really stinks i have to wear contacts for the rest of my life. Hopefully for you it works out – my dad had it and my best friend too and they both rave about it!
    J recently posted..The Perfect Peanut Butter CookieMy Profile

I had Lasik in 2009 and only wish I had done it sooner. It is fantastic! I love not having to wear glasses or contacts especially playing winter sports. Of course I was scared but it really was painless and you don’t have to wear those cool sunglasses too long and can trade them for all the latest fashion sunglasses. I wrote a post about my Lasik experience back in 2009 if you want to read all the details of my experience. I’d be happy to answer any questions you may have. Good luck!

This is very, very funny because I too had a consultation for LASIK today. I put it off for so long because I have very bad vision and didn’t really qualify 10 years ago. Today they said I could do it. So I scheduled the surgery for next Friday….but now I am not sure this is the right time to do it because well, it’s expensive!

They said no swimming, but said running was okay the next day. I have been wearing my glasses for the past couple days and I am going to lose it! So we’ll see, maybe we will be going under the laser at the same time…or maybe I’ll wait and see how it turns out for you!!!
    Katie@Will Race for Carbs recently posted..A poorly written recipe for pinto bean and quinoa burgersMy Profile

lol those glasses are classic! The whole vision thing is crazy – just got some special glasses designed to fit over glasses that are supposed to cut down glare while driving at night – they work (kinda). Anyway you are brave to be considering any kind of eye surgery – good luck!

if i remember correctly, my eye doc said i’d be a good candidate. i have horrible vision – i think my contacts are -7.00? i’m soo leary of lasik or the other version (especially after watching kim kardashian get it on tv, ha). i’m just nervous b/c i don’t think i could hold my eyes open AND not flinch while the machine is working. but, i do wish i could be glasses/contact-less!! hope the appt goes well and i hope if you do get the procedure you’ll write a post or two about it to calm my fears :)
    lindsay recently posted..because i canMy Profile

I know a lot of folks who have had the surgery. Most results turn out good, even though they need glasses for some type of vision a year or so after surgery. The few results that didn’t turn out so good are what put me off.
    I don’t want to run even the smallest risk of making my eyes any worse than they are.
    Good luck with the consult.
    Joanne recently posted..Baker’s Intoxicated on GrainsMy Profile

I had it and wished I had done it earlier. Go to a surgeon who is board certified and does a ton of procedures. I had wavefront technology which was new at the time, so I researched the top doctor in my area. He had special accreditation and had done thousands of procedures. Wishing you the best!

Trackbacks