Three Things Thursday

1. I hate adjusting to the time change from West to East–getting up early for workouts has been a challenge this week. A challenge I can handle, but a challenge no less. I much prefer going out West and automatically waking up early. I always try to stay on the East Coast schedule while there, but it never happens.

2. I’ve readjusted my Boston training plan to incorporate all the training I’ve had to miss due to my little bumps in the road (Achilles and foot pains). I’ve decided that since I won’t be getting all the miles and speed work in I normally would for a marathon, I’ll take my last 20-plus out to two weeks from race day. And since Boston is on a Monday, it’s actually two weeks and then some, so it’s really not that big of a deal.

3. Favorite moment when I met EMZ the other day: when she asked if I had a treadmill in my house. And then learned that in the more than three months since getting back to running, I’ve used it once. Pretty sure she was aghast at the fact that I give my machine no love. I will avoid it at all costs!

IMG 0565 224x300 Three Things Thursday

Only when I must

Comments

I cancelled my gym membership and have no treadmill at home. This way I have no other option than to go outside for a run. I dislike the treadmill very much. It’s getting me nowhere and it’s so boring. Outside there’s always something new to see even if you take the same route everytime.

The time zone adjustment always sucks. I have a treadmill at home. I avoided it all costs last year but have been using it a bit more lately. I found if I keep a good balance of outside an inside runs (often early in the morning on the mill and then lunchtime outside) it is working well!
    abbi recently posted..Soup’s OnMy Profile

Sometimes I feel like my body is in a different time zone whether I travel or not. :(
    I have not been on a treadmill in ages. Maybe our unusually dry winter good for something after all.
    Can’t believe Boston is so close. Hope your Achilles behaves.
    Ewa recently posted..Time for an update?My Profile

Glad to see someone else wears their Boston shirt around! I’m in the same boat as you…I’ve had some hamstring issues so it has caused me to rearrange my long runs. But, I’m feeling ok about it! I’m not running Boston for speed…just for the icing on the cake! I have a treadmill too…and I rarely run on it. Give me heat or cold any day.
    Michelle recently posted..Just keep Swimming!My Profile

5. Emz says

You’re so freaking awesome.
    “only when I must” cracks me up!!!!!
    I. Must. Daily. ;)
    You & your family are simply the freaking best.
    So great how you all hiked daily—serious freaking hikes too.
    You rock Amanda.
    Even though that poor TM needs some love.

Blech, treadmills. I need the sun, the wind, the fresh air and the ever changing scenery.
    Think of the sunrises I would miss, the sunsets, the crazy dog walkers. I could never give that up. :-)
    I do think treadmills are great for doing speed work while avoiding injury so I’m glad they exist.
    Missy recently posted..What’s Ragnar anyway?My Profile

It’s crazy how some people love their mills and other avoid them at all costs. Me, I just wanna stack the deck in my favor for running every day. Mill, road, trail. I know my favorite route but any will do if I get to…(you knew it was coming) put one foot in front of the other. heehee
    shelly recently posted..Thoughts for ThursdayMy Profile

i don’t use the treadmill at my house but i’m all about the one at the gym. i’d rather use that then run outside at 5am when it’s still dark. i’m so scared of tripping and hurting myself!
    Denise recently posted..I Need To RelaxMy Profile

Is that your workout room?! Awesome. I agree about the treadmill. When I first started running, it was all I used since I had little ones and couldn’t go anywhere without them. Now, just the thought of treadmill running makes me nauseous.
    Hikermom recently posted..The Big ClimbMy Profile

Treadmill Shcmedmill……I’m with you…..only if I must and for me since I have to go to the gym for it I might as well just run outside.

The best adjustment and worst adjustment was when I went to Hawaii. Getting up in Hawaii was super easy and then on Sunday having football at 6am was phenomenal……coming home not so much.
    Jason @ Cook Train Eat Race recently posted..Aspaeris Pivot Shorts Product ReviewMy Profile

Right there with you on the treadmill! We just got ours in the fall and I think I can count the number of times I have used it on one hand. Hubs makes up for that, though!
    marlene recently posted..MIAMy Profile

I ALWAYS go the the end lane for swimming because I figure then I will have at most one person to share with. We don’t have physical lane barriers, just the line on the bottom of the pool.

we have a treadmill and i just used it for the first time in a LONG time…..i will use that at the gym but i rarely use the one at home, but i think i will be doing it more now….
    feener recently posted..Vacation detoxMy Profile

With this mild winter, who (besides EMZ) would get on a treadmill? Thanks for the heads up for the end of next week. I go to Vegas on Sunday and back on Thur – just long enough to fight the minor time zone change.
    Christina recently posted..Warm Temps = WINDMy Profile

I have access to a treadmill at my gym…since joining in Nov…I have used it twice for training runs.
    Ask me again when the weather turns craptacular as it has been great this winter.