Running but not racing

IMG 1129 224x300 Running but not racing

Can't find a much better setting for a run

After some debate, I decided to forego my half this weekend in order to give my foot time to continue to improve. And it is improving. I did a 7-mile run yesterday with no pain, followed up by a good hike. I still have some swelling and stiffness going on, but I’m hopeful that it will continue to improve while I try to slowly ramp my training back up. Monday before heading home, I’m going to do 10.

I’m a bit bummed that I didn’t race, but I’m also ok with it. As much as I love to race, I only really enjoy it if I’m in shape for it. That I definitely am not right now. So all’s well that ends well.

IMG 1156 300x223 Running but not racing

Me, EMZ and Dawn, who managed not to be possessed for the picture

In other news–I got to meet EMZ and Dawn out for dinner! They are both such fun ladies and it was a treat to spend time with them in person. EMZ is indeed about 20 feet tall. We even made her take her 10-inch heels off for the picture and look how she towers above us! In meeting these two, I’ve kicked off my 2012 blogger meet-ups in style.

Our entire trip has centered around hikes. We’ve managed to fit in a hike a day. Each one has been different and the kids have really enjoyed trying out the variety of terrain and climbs. Pretty sure that if I lived here, hiking would be a regular part of my routine.

IMG 11381 300x224 Running but not racing

Before heading up Camelback Mountain

So it’s back to reality tomorrow. I love getting away like this, especially in the winter to a warm locale. Being out here has once again confirmed for me that my retirement years will be spent somewhere like this–sun, mountains, runs and hikes–what’s not to like?

Comments

Good for you deciding not to race this weekend! As tough as it can be to forego a planned/paid for race, it’s SO much smarter in the long run. Even if your ego takes a bit of a hit with the DNS, better now than running too hard and really aggravating it.

I know so many people right now who are running through injury, and it’s such a recipe for disaster. You will definitely reap the rewards when you toe the start line of a race strong and healthy!
    Andrea Hill recently posted..TBT12-Day 45My Profile

I wish I could have met up with you guys!!!

I decided not to race this past weekend either. Had been considering it for a while, but I didn’t feel ready. Good decision for me as well, as I’ve had a L calf issue over the past 1-1/2 weeks. Like your foot, it’s on the mend. Yay!

Have a great rest of your trip, and I hope to meet you next time you’re out west. :)
    Allison Johnson recently posted..Drowning Part IIMy Profile

Good for you for knowing what your body needs and taking it easy.

And… Maybe I’m weird — when I lived in Phoenix, I hated it there. But I get a funny, sentimental feeling every time I see a picture of cacti and rocks! I miss the desert!

I hope you had a wonderful weekend and enjoyed the scenery. It certainly sounds like you did.
    Beth (i run like a girl) recently posted..C’mon, pick up the pace!My Profile

Wow! You are incredible to have realized that the half wouldn’t have been good for you. Most runner’s ignore warning signs. You deserve a HUGE pat on the back!

I have been to AZ once and loved the dry warmth…but the desert isn’t a place I’d want to live. I have to have multiple seasons…but it is fun to visit. Glad you got away!

It sounds like a smart decision to not race. Looks like a great trip though. Mountains are the best. What fun to hike every day with your kids. I am a bit of chicken hiker when it comes to rocks.

Looks like it was a great time. Glad to hear your foot is healing up. My sister lives near Phoenix and I am with you , such a great place to run and have fun. Safe travels back home.

You were so smart to listen to your body!! Even though it was a gorgeous race day and I loved my running partner, a nagging injury that I was trying to ignore got the best of me.

But what a fun weekend!! And I was so happy to finally meet you!! Hopefully I’ll make it back easy one of these days…and if you make it for Top of Utah you’ve got a place to stay!!

Good luck with your run today!!!

I totally understand hating missing a race because of injury. I missed a couple this year and last year (both times int he winter). Last year I missed a half in Disney, but still enjoyed the warmth and good times with my wife and kids. This year I missed a 10 miler that I really wanted to nail. But, I have other goals that are more important to me (like getting healthy and back to running pain free like I want to!). Sounds like you had a great vacation!
    Erik recently posted..The Eerie Run…My Profile

Very wise and mature decision not to race! But hiking is such a good stand-in….probably helped to have such an appealing second choice–I love hiking. Warm and sun sounds wonderful. I’m glad you’re feeling so relaxed.
    Terzah recently posted..My Fall MarathonMy Profile

I’m with you in terms of racing. At this point, I know that I can cover the distance, and I’d rather not do it if I’m not able to give it everything I have. When I’m not in the shape I want to be in and I go in with racing in mind, I inevitably end up disappointed in my performance.

Sounds like you made the right decision to skip this one.
    Abby @ Have Dental Floss, WIll Travel recently posted..RelativityMy Profile

I’m sure you made the best decision not to race. It’s a hard one to make I know.

Great pic of you guys. We got to meet EMZ in Boston last year. She is super tall, but so super nice as well.

I love to hike. I’m jealous, sounds like a blast!
    Michael recently posted..An Awesome Sunday RunMy Profile

LOVE your pictures – you ladies look so beautiful. Glad you are enjoying your time out west. And I am hoping your foot feels back to normal soon! :)

13. tinydancer says

If you lived there you would HATE all the tourists hiking up and down Camelback so you would find your own mountain.

I second everyone else in that it was smart of you not to run. I recently ran a half even though I had been having some ITB issues, and I ended up tearfully walking miles five and six. It was a pretty painful lesson to learn. (The ITB is okay now but I had to do some serious care-taking to get it that way.)
    Caitlin recently posted..My body, my muscles, my uterus, my choiceMy Profile

Trackbacks

1. […] to train for Boston since I was getting a late start after my injury. I did, however, plan to run a 1/2 marathon while we were in Arizona. Nursing a sore foot, however, I decided to skip that […]