The conversations of a long run

SAM 1067 225x300 The conversations of a long run

When you're out there for hours, you can cover a lot of topics!

I don’t know about you guys, but when I’m on a long run with my friends, our conversations run the gamut. I think every topic is fair game out there and we manage to cover some serious territory, both literally and figuratively. Saturday’s long run was no exception, so I thought I’d share some of those topics:

• Food
  • What Shalane Flanagan said to Kara Goucher at the end of the trials (I thought it was “I’m so mad at you,” but others corrected me that it was “I’m so proud of you.”)
  • Yaktrax vs. other brands (it was icy!)
  • Frozen snot on our sleeves
  • Food
  • Manpris and man purses (or is it capants and satchels, Chris?)
  • Runner’s World vs. Running Times (we definitely have a favorite!)
  • Push-up challenges (there’s rumor one of us does 250 push-ups/day)
  • Food
  • Weekend plans
  • A proposed education series (ahem, Chris)
  • Parenting strategies
  • Yoga
  • Bed bugs and MRSA
  • Food
  • A British guy who, for 8 pounds, will break up with a girl for other men
  • Food

Notice the overriding theme here? If you run with friends, what do you talk about on your long runs?

Comments

that is HILARIOUS!!! I just love conversations like that…sometimes they make NO sense, but they are the best!!!

Guess I need some actual “long” runs to cover so many topics! You better believe I’ll get there soon :)
    marissa recently posted..another goal?My Profile

My running buddy and I talk about EVERYTHING under the sun! A lot to do with teaching since we are both teachers, relationships, food, races, and anything in between! Plus there are a lot of swears thrown in the mix….she’s like a truck driver!! Seriously though a few years ago when I began running with her I was going through a very tough time personally. I was coming back from having a baby and a few other major struggles. I looked forward to my Saturday long run and the strength it gave me to take on another week. These runs and my buddy made me realize the strength I had within me!!! I cherish them!
    Fancy Nancy recently posted..Monday Motivation-One Step at a TimeMy Profile

I usually don’t run with anyone, but if I ever did in the past, I don’t remember talking much. But I would like to comment on Runner’s World vs. Running TImes. Dief RUnning TImes. Runner’s World is ok, but after 4 years of subscriptions, besides the news, it’s pretty much the same advise over and over. Running Times I think is better in terms of keeping it simple and not as many advertisements. But that’s my 2 cents for what it’s worth. Take care.
    Kenley Jones recently posted..Accountability (Scale House Friday) My First 5k.My Profile

I rarely remember what we talk about, other than generalities, kids, or races or whatever. With younger runners, it is usually about running or the after run spot or restaurants.

Love those conversations though. if you want to feel connected to someone, run 10 miles with them.
    NY Wolve recently posted..The NinjaMy Profile

My recent runs with friends have included a wide variety of topics (usually NOT running related oddly enough). But I struggle to run and talk so we walk more if the conversation is good. Need to continue to build my base so we can talk and run more. :)
    Christina recently posted..Crappy…wind, run, mood, etc.My Profile

Yes, but what about food? Nothing better than conversation on a long!!! I believe that us chatty runners must have amazing VO2.
    I was running 20+ with some friends last summer. A fellow caught up with us (trying to hit on the single ladies). We were just clucking along like a bunch of chickens trying to be polite and lose him at the sam time. He asked us how far we had run. When we told him we were at 16 with 4 to go he literally stopped in shock. He didn’t try to keep up after that. :)
    Kathy Reed recently posted..Houston Marathon RecapMy Profile

7. KarenM says

I had a long run which coincidentally ended up being me and a bunch of guys over 50. We had a long conversation about…..colonoscopies!

I run with my sister on Saturdays and when we have a long run, like 15+, then we ban ourselves from talking to each other during the week leading up to the run, so that we have tons to talk about during our run. But we usually talk about running, family drama, television shows, or ya…food.
    Vieve recently posted..Making ExcusesMy Profile

If it’s with a bunch of girls-it’s usually gravitates towards guys, running with a bunch of guys-it’s all business: race times, goals, pace, blah blah…

It’s good catching-up time for pretty much anything-and yes, food!

Btw…nice footstrike! :)

With my old running partner nothing was off limits when it came to conversations. My new running partner I’m still trying to feel my way around.I dont want to hurt anyones feelings because I said something that my hurt her feelings. Maybe I should give her more credit than that huh. I know for my self I can tend to be alittle sensitive. I am always worrying about hurting someones feeling.

Loved your variety of conversation.

I usually run alone, but when I used to run with a friend, it was the same thing! We would talk about everything and yes, especially food! I don’t think we ever solved any life crisis though. Just figured out what we were going to have for dinner.
    Kyria recently posted..The Best Lasagna EverMy Profile

I really only get to run with others in races. In Houston, I ran into a guy who was a co-volunteer with me two days before. I couldn’t believe I managed to see him in that immense crowd of people in the race! So we talked about that, and about the course and the weather, and he introduced me to the friend he was running with. He was local, so it was nice to feel connected. :^)
    Terzah recently posted..BirthdayMy Profile

My favourite conversation ever was with a new squad member – discussing his 6 day old vasectomy. Support underwear and frozen peas were mentioned. It’s true – nothing is off limits.
    Char recently posted..Walking The DogMy Profile

I love to run with my neighbor in the AM, and we talk about our families and husbands and plans for the day (and a bit about the neighbors as we pass their houses). I also love to run on side by side TM’s with my 11 yo son at the gym, or other friends who may not be a good fit to run with outside for pace reasons.

If you or any of your running group is interested, I have a $10 off coupon code for Zooma Annapolis. Use ANNCON1 at registration.
    Mara @Big Happy Family recently posted..Zooma Annapolis … to run for fun or race to PR?My Profile

Some of my favorite long run topics:

Politics
    Sociology/history (I have two running friends who were going through doctoral programs at the same time I was – lots of dissertation problems sorted out through the miles)
    Top five lists of celebrity crushes.

Add that last one to your list. Seriously, miles and miles of entertainment.
    Abby @ Have Dental Floss, WIll Travel recently posted..I Coulda Been a ContenderMy Profile

ha! We always say the long run is like Vegas, Baby. What’s said there, stays there. You can imagine my surprise when a newbie started blabbing during our HH about what we talked about on one occasion. Ha, she definitely got a stern talking to on the next run! :) Food is #1 with us as well!
    Dash recently posted..Friday Randoms – Living Like a RunnerMy Profile

17. Colleen says

Hahaha – I think about food a lot too! :)

My husband and I run together and it’s where we came up with the idea for our business. We have planned our whole life on runs!

I definitely prefer RT over Runner’s World and loved this month’s issue.

Food is always a great topic, whether you’re running or not.

I bet it is so excting for Kara and Shalane that they both made the team. At least I think it would be exciting if I were one of them.
    Kate @ Run with Kate recently posted..SUAR’s Random QuestionsMy Profile