Holy hills, batman!

Soufriere Hills Holy hills, batman!

Ok, maybe they weren't quite this big, but they felt like it!

I finally got up the nerve to tackle some hill repeats with my friends this morning. And? Other than sucking wind and sounding like I was ready to keel over from an asthmatic attack, I’d say it went pretty well.

I’ve been working to get one of my mid-week runs a bit longer, so today that run totaled out to about 9 1/2. We did five repeats on a hill about 1/3 of a mile long, then hit two more big ones hard as we headed back in. All in all, I’m pretty happy with it. No, my fitness isn’t where I want it to be, but just a couple of weeks back I was too afraid to even try.

Which leads me to confidence. I don’t know about you, but once I have it, my training and racing go so much better. I’m getting my confidence back, and starting to believe that I can get my fitness back, too. In time for Boston? Probably not entirely, but I think I”m tracking ahead of where I would have guessed I’d be when I first got back to running in November. That’s a pretty big gift, if you ask me.

Anyone else tackle some hills today? Where’s your confidence level?

Comments

Awesome job! Glad you’re getting your confidence back. No hills for me but I am planning to increase my mileage today. My feet have been an issue for a couple of months and I have had to lay low on my running. Sucks!
    Hikermom recently posted..Today’s WorkoutMy Profile

Great job with the hills! They are so humbling! :) And it is always amazing to me how much the mental aspect of running impacts performance. Confidence is key. You are having such an amazing come back. I am so excited for you!
    Erin recently posted..Sunday night bullet pointsMy Profile

I NEED to start running some hills, like yesterday. I ran a half marathon on Sunday abd it was a great indicator that I am pretty darn weak. I am with you — my fitness won’t be where I’d like it to be by Boston, unfortunately, but at least it’s improving.

At the race this Sunday I was pretty deflated when I realized how challenging an 8:00/mi pace is for me (when running 13.1). I really hope I continue to improve so I can at least run sub 8:00/mi in Boston. But, who knows? Maybe I should just go out there and enjoy it with no paces in mind.

Congrats on gaining your confidence back. Confidence is so crucial. I could use some right about now. :)
    Kate @ Run with Kate recently posted..Impromptu Race: Carlsbad Half Marathon!My Profile

Great work with the hill repeats and within a longer run to boot! I would die from that many hill repeats on a 9 mile run. I guess I have some work to do to get there.

As for confidence. It. Is. So. True. My run yesterday was crap. Total crap, but it was because I went in with zero confidence. Running is just as much mental as it is physical.
    Vieve recently posted..Week in Review #3My Profile

No hills for me. Didnt get outside much last week. It was in the teens and windy as all get out. So opted for the treadmill. Hoping to get some mile this week. So my confidence isnt so hot right now, but working on getting it back.

Great run MissZippy. Keep on run girlfriend

Colin would love the fact that you used the batman saying ;) hahah. and I haven’t done hills in…well ever, argh! I’ve run hills but never have I done repeats, we’re doing them tomorrow in the group run :P AH! so I’ll let you know how it goes.
    Ali Mc recently posted..Shoes, Training & Chocolate HogsMy Profile

Congrats on getting those hills in. I really focused on running up a very long hill during my run today. I decided that every time I hit that beast, I am going to try and run it at marathon pace even if the rest of my run isn’t that fast. My hips aren’t fond of hill sprints, so I will take what I can get. Great job on your run. I bet your fitness will come back faster than you expect.
    Robin recently posted..Why I Love the Brooks PureFlow ShoeMy Profile

Just eating those hills for breakfast and tossing in mid-week 9.5 milers is awesome. Not to long ago it was nerves about running 1 mile. So far in so short a time and that is due to your hard work.

Yesterday that question would have been answered with a resounding HIGH but after my swim today it was deflated but I have to put it behind me and focus on the next training session tomorow.
    Jason @ Cook Train Eat Race recently posted..Ironman Texas Training VLOG – Week #5My Profile

You sound pretty well recovered to me, you’ve gotten some tough workouts in and are feeling fine! I don’t know if you mentioned it and I missed it, but what shoes are you in now?
    Oh and on that note Mark Cuccazella is visiting a running store by my house … If I can get out of work on time I plan to stop by.
    Gracie recently posted..How I train: Running volumeMy Profile

Awesome that you’re back hitting the hills, and even more awesome that you’re doing it with confidence. I find myself in a fairly constant state of waiting to see what is going to go wrong with my left calf as I ramp up any of my running. Hopefully I can get over that at some point.
    Chris @ Evolving Through Running recently posted..11 Random ThingsMy Profile

wish we had a few hills around here, just for the challenge…but all flat in these parts! LOL

Totally agree…if we believe, we CAN do anything! Confidence is key. Once I know I CAN do something, I WILL do something!

Awesome post :) have a great day!
    marissa recently posted..thoughtfulness from a friend…My Profile

Mmmmm…hills…I’m glad you have that confidence back! Awesome!! I’m not there, yet. I’m still having doubts about my leg issue. I still don’t want to push it, yet. I’m waiting a little longer to see how it goes with 5 days a week of running. Its a bit sore, but not painful (I’m sitting with coffee and ice right now). I am upping my Wednesday and Sunday runs this week (3 to 4 and 5 to 6).
    RunningMoose recently posted..Running is happiness…My Profile

Sick enough I love to run hills but they’re the death of my IT Band so I try to go up them gently and with as good as posture as possible :)

Last night I had a great run though. I averaged sub 9 minute miles for the entire 4 miles and that’s just not like me. Confidence is right!

Nice work on your hill workout and gaining that confidence back. I did hills this morning! I’ve never been a strong runner on up hills, but bring on the downhill and I can fly (hooray for long legs).
    Erin recently posted..Priya’s Visit :)My Profile