Three Things Thursday (the gym edition)

What is it about the gym that provides so much fodder? You see and hear it all there, without fail. Here are my observations from today:

Nam 1.1 Three Things Thursday (the gym edition)

An empty pool is a good pool

1. The pool is completely empty this week. Has everyone just thrown in the towel for December? Why am I complaining–we all know what will happen come January!

2. Dear Spin Instructor–The song Elvira has no place in a spin class. Period.

3. Dear out-of-shape man next to me in spin class–If you can belt out all the words to Elvira while doing your workout, you probably aren’t working hard enough.

What have you experienced at the gym lately?

• No Related Posts

Comments

Your #3 just cracked me up! And yes, ugh the gym in January. I am hoping its nice weather so I can just run outside and do my own resistance training for the month then head back after the Resolutioners go home. But I do hope they stick with it… but sadly, they usually don’t :(
    Victoria recently posted..Coach’s Oats: Through Spoken WordMy Profile

Elvira? Really? Wow!

We have this guy at the gym that is stuck in the Let’s Get Physical video featuring Olivia Newton John.

Full on head band (not that there is anything wrong with that) but coupled with a tank top that was cut from a t-shirt and barely has any cloth, tight shorts, ankle weights and walking on the treadmill and then side stepping on the treadmill and just about everything in between. It is one of the funniest sights until Emillio Estevez from Breakfast Club walks in.

You know Emilion in Breakfast Club was a wrestler and so is this guy. He lifts in a singlet. A singlet that he probably wore in the ’80s when he was in high school.

And btw these guys were in shape in the 80s and not so much today. Put on more clothes fellas and get to working out.
    Jason @ Cook Train Eat Race recently posted..The Sufferfest – Cycling Video ReviewMy Profile

Love my gym in December, just love. It is like my own private place.
    Then comes January but it is a very short month, lasts 3 weeks at the most… ;-)
    Ewa recently posted..JoyMy Profile

I have seen all sorts of crazy things at the gym! I live in the gay neighborhood of San Diego, Hillcrest, also home to the gayest gym in San Diego, so it’s pretty entertaining. I see men with huge muscles, lifting insane amounts of weight, while belting out Whitney Houston. I see men treadmill dancing. Men in next to nothing. I see it all. And I love it! :) My experiences are more funny than irritating. When I go to other gyms I am annoyed at men that try to start conversations with me while I am clearly running (fast) on the treadmill, working hard. I feel like I need to wear a t-shirt that says “I’m a Lesbian” for every time I am not at the gay gym.
    Kate @ Run with Kate recently posted..California RunningMy Profile

Elvira in spin class? What’s up with that? I agree, if you can sing a song in class, you’re not doing what you are supposed to be doing. I did spin today too and the guy in front of me had a lake of sweat under his bike. Of course no towel. Really? Why is it that the sweatiest people don’t bring towels?
    Hikermom recently posted..Three Things ThursdayMy Profile

I don’t go to the gym, unless my tri coach gives me a workout that specifically needs to be done on the treadmill. However I noticed the very same thing about the two city pools that I go to. Practically empty. I’m not complaining — although it did feel a tiny bit lonely to be the ONLY one swimming the other night! At least last night there were three other people there.
    Stef recently posted..December is Productive!My Profile

I’m going to go against the grain here and say that I a little bit frustrated with the attitude behind #3. Why does it have to be all or nothing? While most of the time I prefer to work out hard, there are health benefits to getting your heart rate up and your sweat on even if you aren’t giving it 1000%. Exercise should be fun, and it sounds like that guy was enjoying himself. Kuddos to him for getting to the gym in December and who cares if he isn’t working out as hard as you are?
    Raquelita recently posted..Thursday Threads: On the RoadMy Profile

We are only a short time away from Resolutionists hell! I will be running outdoor a lot for the first 3 weeks of January. Then after that it is my empty gym again!
    Jeff recently posted..Stuff …My Profile

lol on your observations, I noticed the exact same thing at the gym too! It is seriously a ghost town, I haven’t seen this few people at the gym probably ever. But come Jan 1, it will be packed with all the New Years resolution people!
    Nelly recently posted..2011 by Pictures and NumbersMy Profile

These are hilarious!! I went last Friday (around 10am) so there was NO ONE there except older men and women! LOVED IT!
    I used to despise going to the gym in the first few weeks of Jan (it was the same thing as just before spring break in college – i just wanted to go over and ask the new people if they really thought that they were going to see a huge difference in 2 weeks – hysterical).
    Michele @ nycrunningmama recently posted..First speed workout in a LONG time!My Profile

11. Stacey says

Ugh January to march are my least favorite months to go to the gym due to all the “new years resolution” people!! Good for them doing something healthy but I am there everyday throughout the year putting my work in and I love my favorite TM!! Ah thanks for letting me get that out!

Man. I posted about this today, too. We have in our gym…
    1. A guy that turns off the AC
    2. Guy that shuts the door when the AC is off
    3. Chick who sprints for 1 minute, cycles for 5, repeat
    4. Chick who brings her kids in to play on the machines while she leisurely (read: 2mph, no incline) walks and watches TV.
    Heather recently posted..Three Things ThursdayMy Profile

I cancelled my gym membership last month. The only thing I ever used it for was a spin bike, so I figured it would be cheaper to cancel the membership and buy a bike! I’ve got one picked out at Dicks… just waiting until after Christmas because I told everyone I wanted Dick’s gift cards. :)
    Pam recently posted..Tuesday TidbitsMy Profile

I haven’t been to the gym in years after being a 3-4 times per week member for at least a decade. It’s the wild outdoors that calls me. You never see a whole family of ducks in the gym or the crazy guy who lives in the park feeding the family of ducks. You never get to see the full moon glowing orange and the dawn breaking over the mountain. I think I’ll be sticking to outside.
    Char recently posted..Where’s My Medal?My Profile

Fodder?!…As a former personal trainer, you have no idea!! Your description is spot-on! The gym is for escaping family, if nothing else (J/K!!)

Merry Christmas and keep doin what most people won’t ! :)

I am so sad that I haven’t even really been able to get to the gym much this month :-( so I don’t even really know what’s going on there. I have been having fun at my boot camp, though. I almost made my MIL pass out the other day…whoops. Now there’s a lady who was pushing herself!

And then there’s the woman who was so excited for boot camp she was going to come twice a day, 5 days a week all through Nov and Dec…but whose motivation waned after day 1 …and I keep getting woken up to 2:30am test messages that say she’s out Christmas partying and won’t be in to boot camp at all :p

There should be some good material for posts like this one come January when the gyms are packed full!!

Merry Christmas, MissZ!!
    julie recently posted..Monday Evening Dance PartyMy Profile

Elvira!!! Giddy up a mmmbopa mmmmbopa mowah does not belong in spin class!! And no one should admit to knowing the words….oops I guess I just did, but I blame road trips as a kid. And I am not looking forward to the Jan and Feb rush at the gym.

18. Loren says

To all the other comments- ease off hating all the resolutioners! I’m into week 50 of my 2011 resolutions and still going strong.

2 ridiculous things – first, I go and run on the treadmill, and there is this girl there vearly every day doing the same thing. She puts the speed on 10mph (wow) I get real excited at first, but then she holds on to the side and holds her body weight up in the air, and just straddles the tread. Weird to explain. Plus she has the incline all the way up. Second. In the mens locker room, there is a place to change after you take your damn shower. Every time I go in there just to get my bag out of the locker, There are ting tings flopping around every where and they hog up the benches with their crap in the locker room, instead of changing or getting dressed in the right area. Really? Comn on guys. Thats why I don’t take a shower at the gym, I just change in one of the bathroom stalls, and then high tail it home to take a shower there. Can we have some decency here at least. Sorry for the rant, but you asked. hahaha. Merry Christmas. Oh, and I will throw in a third. Damn all those people that show up for a month or two in Jan and Feb crowding the place up. I would be okay with it if they stuck to it at least until April.
    Kenley recently posted..From my Family to Yours!My Profile

My heart’s on fire for Elvira!!! My dad just gave me all his old LPs (record lover here) and, oh yes, there’s some Oakridge Boys in there – gonna play it now!! Perhaps follow with a little Statler Brothers – Flowers on the Wall!
    As for the gym … I am so grateful I’m about to hit my marathon taper and recovery throughout January. Hopefully by February the worst will be over!
    Kathy Reed recently posted..Unexpected R&R – A Short Trip to Glenwood SpringsMy Profile