Any excuse will do!

boxingdaytitle Any excuse will do!

Boxing day? Good excuse for a run.

I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday weekend with family, friends, and of course, a run or two. I kicked off Christmas Eve with 13 beautiful (if not a bit fast for me) miles with my friends.

If you haven’t noticed, my friends and I can come up with a reason for a run (combined with food, of course) pretty much any time. We already run together three times a week, but a few extra runs here and there with a “raison d’ etre” makes for even more fun. (No, I don’t speak French, so be impressed. Or maybe horrified at my poor handling of the language.)

You know we do birthday cake runs, we just did a jingle bell runwith a cookie exchange, and we add in others whenever there’s an excuse to do so.  Today, of course, it’s boxing day. My friend Becky came up with this idea a few years back and has hosted us all  for about a seven-mile run, followed by brunch.

solstice 004 224x300 Any excuse will do!

Run first; drive second

Today I’m packing up the kids in the car and taking them by myself to Ohio to visit family, but not before the boxing day run. Priorities, right? And if I have to sit in a car for five hours, I’ll feel much better having had the run in first. So here’s to boxing day.

Did you do any special holiday runs over the weekend?

Does it seem like I used a million parentheses today? (It does to me).

Comments

I love that idea!! Making time to run with friends is a such a fun holiday tradition. I always look forward to long runs with friends on Saturday mornings (and of course coffee and a delicious breakfast afterwards). A Christmas/Boxing Day/Birthday run (with a cookie exchange? Yes please!) sounds like an awesome way to start off the festivities! Have a safe trip to Ohio!
    Kara recently posted..Seven on Sunday Holiday EditionMy Profile

2. CJ says

Love the cute card with the MD flag letters! We’ve been all over the UnderArmour gear with the MD flag incoporated into the designs around here.

Christmas Eve 6-ish miler to get through the day on endorphins, 1.25-miler on Christmas morning to ease into my new Brooks Pure Flows (LOVE) and check out the TomTom GPS watch, and 13.5-miler today with my BRF on the C&O towpath. A fabulous running weekend.

Safe travels to Ohio & Merry Christmas!

3. Colleen says

I love your reasons to run… they always sound so much better than mine – “eh, it’s Monday. I am going to go run”. Plus mine never involve brunch or cake. I need to join your club! :)

Don’t worry, I’m still the queen of parenthesis!! I did 13 on Christmas eve myself-complete with deer sightings and all in the Texas Hill Country. The deer looked at me like I was nuts, but I didn’t care:)

Happy Boxing Day!

Ran a virtual 5K on Sat (little long to be sure I got it in), another 3.5 mi yesterday and cleaned/sorted in two children’s rooms for today’s “workout”. Tomorrow, I get to drive my two kids to KC to visit my aunt and then drive back (about 3 hrs each way). Family is important. Not sure if another run will be important enough for me to face the cold (20°) and dark early in the morning after husband goes to work (though I wish it would be as I know it would be good before sitting in the car for so long). Oh, and I LOVE parentheses!
    Christina recently posted..Another Christmas 5K+My Profile

Holidays are meant for running, aren’t they? More time for the run. More time for hanging out with running buddies afterwards. And more time for a midday nap after all that effort.
    Char recently posted..Christmas 2011My Profile

I went to an Ugly Sweater Scavenger Hunt Fun Run/Walk Saturday. It was an awesome time. Now that I have more running/walking friends, I think I may need to steal your idea for a holiday themed running/walking workout brunch thing. Hmmm, maybe I should suggest it for after this Sunday’s First on the First race!
    lauriewalksfast recently posted..HBBC recap to dateMy Profile

As much as I love driving, after a few hours of sitting behind the wheel I feel as if I had run a marathon. I think your priorities are perfectly right. Doesn’t everybody run and then consider other things in life? ;-)
    I love parenthesis so keep on using them (as long as they are not mine, that is).
    Ewa recently posted..JoyMy Profile

I wish I had running buddies that would keep me company on long run days…my friends are great friends but are not fond of exercise :( sad but true. I guess I’ll have to motivate them to kick it up in 2012!!

Wow! You’re up to running 13 miles again!? Holy cow! I am almost to 9 miles for my long run. Slowly but surely. :)

I had some of the best runs of my life over the holidays. I will post about them soon, so be sure to check out my pictures — I think you, of all people, will appreciate the beauty!

So glad to read about you running again. It makes me smile! Happy Boxing Day!
    Kate @ Run with Kate recently posted..California RunningMy Profile