A look at the year ahead

June 2012 Calendar 14 A look at the year ahead

Getting my year in order

Seeing as 2011 is just about history (and don’t let the door hit you, year), it’s high time I start laying out my race schedule for 2012.  Right now I am pretty solid on what my events will be through the first six months or so. It’s the second half of the year that has yet to be determined.

Without further ado, here’s what I’ve got on tap for 2012;

• February–Arizona 1/2 marathon. This will be nothing more than a benchmark race for me to see where my fitness level is. Probably I’ll discover where my fitness level is not, truth be told. The road back to normal racing speed is a long one! But it will be great to get a gauge of where I am.
  • April–Boston! Again, far from a PR effort, this year’s Boston is all about the celebration of being healthy for me.
  • May–Cleveland 1/2 marathon–Easy way to combine family with a race. It also might be a place/time where I can try to see what I can do.
  • June–Chesapeake Bay Swim–I find out the week of Jan. 4 whether or not this bad boy is on my schedule. 4.4 miles in the bay. Yikes!
  • July–Potentially a sprint tri–I will certainly have the swim miles in and can get into good enough shape on the bike as well to handle a sprint.
  • After that???? This is where the year gets murky for me. I’m trying to decide on my fall marathon. My friends all want to do NYC because we can all still use our 1/2 marathon times to usurp the lottery and get in (beginning in 2013 those standards get VERY tough). I just don’t have the desire to do this one, though. Maybe it’s the size? Not sure, but I’m looking for another. Once I have a fall marathon picked out, I’ll add in a 1/2 to complement it.

So that’s a look at the year ahead. I’m pretty excited to get back into racing. This past year was very empty without it in my life.

Do you have your 2012 schedule set yet?

Comments

Well… my schedule… hmm… homeschooling, driving my kid to his activities and classes…
    volunteer work… housework (that can wait till 2013, I guess)…
    But seriously. I don’t have anything set yet. I would like to do some trail runs, there are a couple I am drooling over but being scared of at the same time, so I have not signed up yet. I am very, very tempted to do JMT again. Then there is Tahoe Rim Trail… but JMT was so, so beautiful… and then there is High Sierra Loop… but I loved JMT.
    Now you can see how my mind works. I just hope that I will do something before the 2012 is over.
    Now your plan… I am totally impressed.
    Ewa recently posted..JoyMy Profile

Love that you are scheduling races. You have come a long way to get here and I can’t wait to see how it all pans out for you.

4.4 miles? That is awesome. I hope you get in to this event b/c I would love to read the race report. English Channel or Miami to Cuba after that?

I want to do NYC because its home but what I learned from Vegas is that a Fall marathon or December marathon is not for me after a long triathlon season. I think that I need to figure out how to schedule 2013 properly to incorporate an IM and a 70.3 plus a marathon.

I guess it will all boil down to how I feel after the IMs this year.
    Jason @ Cook Train Eat Race recently posted..Two For Tuesday – Black Bean VersionMy Profile

My major races (thus far) are:
    Jan- Houston Marathon
    March- Arnold Classic 5k pump and run
    June- Leadville Trail Marathon
    August- Pikes Peak Double
    November – NYCM

I’ve been chasing New York for years, I’m super excited to have qualified!

Ill probably fit in a fast fall marathon so I can just enjoy New York, possibly a fast half in the Soring as well. I just started working with a coach so he may have some ideas once we meet in Jan to “officially” set goals for 2012
    Andrea Hill recently posted..Ginger Peanut Tofu SaladMy Profile

Oh my gosh, you should totally do NYC because this is the last year to use reasonable half marathon times haha. I am going to try to get below a 1:37 in the next few months (perhaps at Shamrock) because I’d love to do NYC without the annoyance of the lottery.

And OH WOW the Chesapeake Bay swim of 4.4 miles sounds insane, you are such a machine!! I grew up driving across that bridge multiple times every year on my way to my family’s house in Bethany Beach, DE from our home in Arlington VA! I really hope your name gets picked from the lottery.
    Katherine @ Neon Blonde Runner recently posted..Virtual 10k + Date Night at Stella’sMy Profile

I’ve also been feeling empty due to my lack of racing this year! I’m thinking of trying my first sprint tri, just need to work on the swimming part. And get a bike. Basically all I can do right now is run (and that’s still a little iffy!) haha
    Kara recently posted..Seven on Sunday Holiday EditionMy Profile

Super exited for you! How nice it must be to fill up that calendar. Looking forward to reading all your RR.
    Only thing I have on the books so far is Eugene full marathon this spring. Although I’ve thought about the Ariziona half (have a good friend there) That’s quite trek for you always across the country!

7. Mick says

It is great that you are back on track to be putting a schedule together! You have some nice races planned. You have a couple of months to decide before committing to NYC but if lots of plusses to going: use that half qualifier and the running friends are going. If I return to the States in October, I will sign up for NYC too.

In 2012, I will continue my running tourism:
    April: Rock n’ Roll Half in Edinburg, Scotland
    May: Geneva UNICEF Half, Geneva, Switzerland
    June: Santa Claus Half, Roveniemi, Finland

That’s as far as I’ve gone with registrations but will likely do the Stockholm Half in September. If we don’t return to MD in October, I’ll look for other European halfs in the fall.

Hope the MD winter is mild so you can get the miles in for the AZ half and Boston.
    Mick

I’m still working out my plan for the year….but I do know my husband is tired of marathon miles on weekends, so he’s asked me not to train for another until the fall. That clarifies things a little!

Your year is looking great. Shake those cobwebs out, right? You’re going to have so much fun.
    Terzah recently posted..Finals WeekMy Profile

Very exciting to map out the year (or even just part of it). I’ll “see” you in Boston too – I’ll be the one w/ the running clothes, a ponytail, and sh*t eating grin on my face because I’ll be so happy to be there!

Oh, and the grammar snob in me absolutely LOVES when I see the word “complement” spelled correctly. You rock!
    Lisa recently posted..Time is on my side…..yes, it isMy Profile

Love your schedule. I think its good to not plan too far ahead.

I have spring penciled. a couple 50ks, a 50 miler and then the 100. Of course I have to get into them all! I will have a couple shorter small races that I like to do along the way. After that we’ll see what the summer holds.

First I’ll celebrate the New Year. Enjoy yours!
    shelly recently posted..Our HolidayMy Profile

Sounds like a great 2012 schedule! I hope that you are able to run Boston this year! I mainly just hope that you are healthy all throughout 2012. I don’t want you to get injured again due to too much mileage. (But I’m assuming that you have thought about all of this over with coaches and others)

And cheers to you for inspiring all the running blogging community with your 5 question post a while back, seems like every blog I read has those 5 questions on it.
    Nelly recently posted..Shoutouts of the yearMy Profile

LOVE your plan!! There’s such a great mix of races in there =) I think you should definitely do NYC at least once – and since you can get in now, you might as well do it! You don’t want to plan to do it in a few years and then get stuck with the lottery!! I am definitely biased b/c I am from NYC, but it really is a great race!! Plus I’m doing it this year (I think) – it’ll be fun =)
    Michele @ nycrunningmama recently posted..Having “me” time does not make me a bad motherMy Profile

We do have several nice races here in CALIFORNIA
    and nice weather in CALIFORNIA
    where you can be sure to run in shorts like you like to do here in CALIFORNIA

just saying….

oh and I live here in CALIFORNIA…and I have a bed for guest
    Caroline recently posted..Post Christmas….My Profile

Trying to figure out how to PAY for my year, but some races are pretty set in my mind (and will be registered for in the next two weeks as early bird pricing ends 1/15). Still deciding between two my sis invited me to do with her in July in WI (her husband suggested I drive the 16 hour round trip twice in two weeks to do both – umm…no). Want to shoot for a late season Oly and need to find one, but most of the ones in MO don’t have dates posted and I can only guess based on last year’s dates. I’m not all that interested in running only races, but will do some local 5K’s (maybe a 10) in the fall/early winter. They cost a lot less and have minimal/no travel – definitely up this beginner’s alley.
    Christina recently posted..MMNW Holiday VictoryMy Profile

You’ve got a great start to your schedule already. I’ve got a few ideas, but nothing solid yet. The biggest issue I’m running into (other than money…always money) is schedule conflicts between what I want to do and big things for my kids. :( There’s lots of cool stuff out there, though, and it won’t kill me to miss a few races. I know I’d be sadder to miss out on the boys’ events.
    Kate recently posted..A very merry ChristmasMy Profile

You have great plans for 2012 Zippy, look forward to read all about it here.

I decided a few weeks ago I won’t make goals for 2012, this also includes races. I look forward 3 months and plan races then. So far I’ve got my races planned till April. Because I’m only doing 5K or 10K races I don’t have to plan that far ahead.
    Fran recently posted..Goals 2012My Profile