Seeing as 2011 is just about history (and don’t let the door hit you, year), it’s high time I start laying out my race schedule for 2012. Right now I am pretty solid on what my events will be through the first six months or so. It’s the second half of the year that has yet to be determined.
Without further ado, here’s what I’ve got on tap for 2012;
- February–Arizona 1/2 marathon. This will be nothing more than a benchmark race for me to see where my fitness level is. Probably I’ll discover where my fitness level is not, truth be told. The road back to normal racing speed is a long one! But it will be great to get a gauge of where I am.
- April–Boston! Again, far from a PR effort, this year’s Boston is all about the celebration of being healthy for me.
- May–Cleveland 1/2 marathon–Easy way to combine family with a race. It also might be a place/time where I can try to see what I can do.
- June–Chesapeake Bay Swim–I find out the week of Jan. 4 whether or not this bad boy is on my schedule. 4.4 miles in the bay. Yikes!
- July–Potentially a sprint tri–I will certainly have the swim miles in and can get into good enough shape on the bike as well to handle a sprint.
- After that???? This is where the year gets murky for me. I’m trying to decide on my fall marathon. My friends all want to do NYC because we can all still use our 1/2 marathon times to usurp the lottery and get in (beginning in 2013 those standards get VERY tough). I just don’t have the desire to do this one, though. Maybe it’s the size? Not sure, but I’m looking for another. Once I have a fall marathon picked out, I’ll add in a 1/2 to complement it.
So that’s a look at the year ahead. I’m pretty excited to get back into racing. This past year was very empty without it in my life.
Do you have your 2012 schedule set yet?