I’m going to lay it out there–traveling to see family over the holidays may seem idyllic, but the truth of the matter is, is often isn’t. Yes, it’s wonderful to see them. Yes, I am thankful that I got to spend time with loved ones, especially those who are not in good health.
But there are inevitable highs and lows to these little getaways. So here we go, off to bullet-point heaven, where I tend to spend quite a bit of time. Let’s start with the lows:
- Loads of unhealthy foods at my in-laws. As in, no vegetables in sight. Ham. Lots of white stuff on the table. Not a healthy person’s best day(s).
- Running in rural Ohio. I know lots of you run in rural parts of the country and enjoy it. Me? I’d rather have the comfort of the ‘burbs or the city. Something about long desolate stretches of road, loose big dogs, and fast-driving pick-up trucks that don’t expect to see runners makes me uncomfortable.
- Screen overload for my kids. I keep screen time of any sort extremely limited for my kids. I just think they’re better off this way. Not so many of my relatives, and so my kids were in front of video games, handhelds, TVs, etc. far more than I like. I’ll admit, I have a hard time biting my tongue in these situations, but bite it I did.
- Not getting to see everyone I had hoped to see. Schedules don’t always mesh but I’m bummed.
- An awesome meal, full of color and flavor, at my brother and sister-in-law’s house. Her two sisters were there and they are all about healthy living. So nice to find others with this mindset.
- An almost hour-long run on the Cleveland Metroparks trails. Even better, it was warm enough to do in a running skirt. Rare indeed for this part of the country at this time of year.
- NOT black Friday shopping but rather walking in the same parks with the kids and dog.
Truly, I am thankful for the chance to spend time with family, and I know that my lows are not true lows, but inconveniences. Perspective. In the grand scheme, I am blessed with lots of good in life.
What worked/didn’t work for you this holiday weekend?